Who Have the Rams Selected at No. 23 in the NFL Draft?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Who Have the Rams Selected at No. 23 in the NFL Draft?

After finishing 2017 at 11-5 and NFC West Champions, Los Angeles earned the No. 23 overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft. And now that the Super Bowl is over, the first round of the draft order is officially set.

The selection relatively unfamiliar for the Rams, who have only drafted at No. 23 three times in franchise history. It will also mark the first time the club will have a first-round selection outside of the top 15 since 2005.

Here’s a little more about the three Rams players to be drafted at No. 23:

1977 NFL Draft: Linebacker, Bob Brudzinski, Ohio State

no23.jpg

Brudzinski was a two-time All-Big Ten conference linebacker and All-American honoree when the Rams selected him in the late 70s. During his rookie season, Brudzinski moved to outside linebacker and recorded 37 tackles, two interceptions, three forced fumbles, and one sack in seven stars. The linebacker was named to the All-Rookie team by PFWA for his impressive campaign.

His standout year came in 1979 — when he amassed 127 tackles, seven for loss, an interception, and 14 pass deflections — as part of the Rams’ No. 1 ranked defense. The club beat the Cowboys in the NFC Playoffs before losing to the Steelers in Super Bowl XIV.

But two-thirds into the 1980 season, Brudzinski walked out and never returned to the franchise. He later went on to play nine seasons with the Dolphins.

1986 NFL Draft: Guard, Mike Schad, Queens University

Schad became the first and only player in the history of Canadian Interuniversity Sports to be drafted in the first round of the NFL Draft in 1986. He spent two seasons with the Rams — playing in seven games — before being traded to the Eagles, where he finished out his seven-year career.

RamsNo23Pick.jpg

1990 NFL Draft: Center, Bern Brostek, University of Washington

Brostek was one of the top offensive lineman in the nation heading into the 1990 draft and was a steady member of the Rams offensive line from 1991-1997. He moved from left guard to starting center in 1992, where he started every game for four consecutive seasons.

In that span, Brostek blocked for two 1,000-yard rushers — running backs Cleveland Gary and Jerome Bettis. He was also teammates with several franchise legends like offensive lineman Jackie Slater and wide receiver Isaac Bruce. But in 1997, the lineman suffered a season-ending back injury that effectively ended his NFL career.

[www.therams.com]

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
In the words of Meat Loaf, two out three ain't bad.....Rams after whiffing on Mike Schad in 86 did come back with Guard Tom Newberry in the 2nd round so that helped make it a tad more palatable. John Math was the director of pro player personnel under John Robinson and he did amazing job early, but 1986 truly started a downward trend in drafting for the Rams

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I hope Orlando Brown is there at 23. 6'7", 340. Comes from a football family, dad playes several years for the Browns. Good in both pass a nd run. Good feet. A year under Kromer and the Rams have their next LT.

fearsomefour

Legend
I hope Orlando Brown is there at 23. 6'7", 340. Comes from a football family, dad playes several years for the Browns. Good in both pass a nd run. Good feet. A year under Kromer and the Rams have their next LT.
I hear 6' 7" and think one thing.....can be play low? Can he play with bend or does he play upright? A lot of guys that big can't play with bend without losing their fluidity and just get walked back to the QB.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I like this pick, but I think the Rams will go for a CB or LB in the 1st!

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
hope they trade down with first pick but that's just me.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Interesting piece. Picking at #23 usually means a couple things:
  • Your team was good last year. You made the playoffs, but were ousted in the first round.
  • Your team is one of two things:
  1. They are ascending, but not quite ready to compete for the championship, and REALLY need to make that #23 pick count. Or...
  2. They are descending, and in danger of falling out of the top tier of perennial playoff teams, and REALLY need to make that #23 pick count.
Obviously, in 2018, the Rams fall into the ascending category. This young team shows so much promise and should be fun to follow, with Sean McVay at the helm, and players like Donald, Gurley and Goff as their core.

It is interesting with the other three, Brudzinskl, Schad and Brostek. With Brudzinki, the Rams were still ascending, and he helped put them over the top. He was a key player for our Super Bowl season in 1979.

In 1986, the Rams really Schad their pants, looking North of the border for a lineman that weakened the team. (Sorry, @CGI_Ram you know I love you, eh?)
Certainly, that pick, along with other factors, helped contribute to the Rams years in the desert in the ‘90s.

I loved Brostek, he was solid. But the Rams were still a couple years away from greatness when his years were cut short.

Whether the Rams stay put at #23, or Les Snead pulls his trading magic again, I hope our first pick does not emulate our other #23s in one area:
Brudzinskis time with the Rams was cut short with a contract dispute. Schad was cut short because he was not good, and Brostek because of injury.

I hope our 2018 first pick becomes a key to helping this great Rams team become dominant for years to come.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I hear 6' 7" and think one thing.....can be play low? Can he play with bend or does he play upright? A lot of guys that big can't play with bend without losing their fluidity and just get walked back to the QB.

That is a concern when playing against short pass rushers, having to play like that on a consistent basis with that height is a recipe for injury

fearsomefour

Legend
That is a concern when playing against short pass rushers, having to play like that on a consistent basis with that height is a recipe for injury
Not even short rushers. Just guys who can play low. You give up leverage and just get pushed back.