Who do you think will be the Rams top pick?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
When it is all over and done (Trades, FA signings, etc) who do you think will end up being the Rams top pick?

I am guessing Brandon Scherff.

Even if the Rams do sign a couple of quality FA offensive linemen (And, hopefully, they will!) I still think they will draft an offensive lineman with their top pick and I think Scherff would be a great addition to the Rams offensive line and will immediately become best friends with Foles, Mason, Stacy and Cunningham!

Athos

Legend
Depends on who is available.

Really don't like Scherff at 10. If WRs are off the board, our pick should be a trade.

FrankenRam

Starter
IMO, they'll draft an OL if they believe he's the BPA. But I don't see them taking one just because it's the biggest need.

I don't try to evaluate individual players myself. Don't have the skills currently, nor the time to acquire them. But I do try to read as many different opinions (in non-Rams fans haunts) as possible about various suspects. At this point, there's been enough draft talk to start getting something of a sense of how the top suspects are shaking out.

And at this point, I'm a little skeptical about Scherff. Though he does seem to be the best OL in the eyes of most, it's not unanimous. I've seen at least one discussion where Andrus Peat was rated ahead of Scherff, and somewhere else I believe La'ell Collins was at least close to Scherff. In addition, he just doesn't seem to generate a lot of 'buzz' outside Rams' discussion forums. Unlike last year, when the whole world was talking about GRob and Matthews, this year there just doesn't seem to be a strong consensus about any OL being a sure fire top 10 pick, not even Scherff. Consensus seems pretty strong the OL is deep in general, but there just doesn't seem to be the outstanding suspects this year. This year, the 2 QB's and WR's seem to garner the LARGE majority of the 'buzz'. Don't even read a heckuva lot about the DT, Williams, even though the buzz I have seen suggests he might just be THE best player available.

Throw all the above in a pot of noodles, stir it up, and I'm starting to think the odds of a trade down from 10 might be a pretty likely possibility....unless they're high on one of the WR's and one falls to them.

The one suspect that I would most like to be a fly on the wall at Rams Park to hear discussion of is Mariotta. If he were to fall to them, would they take him.(??) I dunno. He doesn't seem to be the kind of QB Fisher would covet, but with Foles contract up after the 2015 season.......

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
IMO, they'll draft an OL if they believe he's the BPA. But I don't see them taking one just because it's the biggest need.

I don't try to evaluate individual players myself. Don't have the skills currently, nor the time to acquire them. But I do try to read as many different opinions (in non-Rams fans haunts) as possible about various suspects. At this point, there's been enough draft talk to start getting something of a sense of how the top suspects are shaking out.

And at this point, I'm a little skeptical about Scherff. Though he does seem to be the best OL in the eyes of most, it's not unanimous. I've seen at least one discussion where Andrus Peat was rated ahead of Scherff, and somewhere else I believe La'ell Collins was at least close to Scherff. In addition, he just doesn't seem to generate a lot of 'buzz' outside Rams' discussion forums. Unlike last year, when the whole world was talking about GRob and Matthews, this year there just doesn't seem to be a strong consensus about any OL being a sure fire top 10 pick, not even Scherff. Consensus seems pretty strong the OL is deep in general, there just doesn't seem to be the outstanding suspects this year. This year, the 2 QB's and WR's seem to garner the LARGE of the 'buzz'. Don't even read a heckuva lot about the DT, Williams, even though the buzz I have seen suggests he might just be THE best player available.

Throw all the above in a pot of noodles, stir it up, and I'm starting to think the odds of a trade down from 10 might be a pretty likely possibility....unless they're high on one of the WR's and one falls to them.

The one suspect that I would most like to be a fly on the wall at Rams Park to hear discussion of is Mariotta. If he were to fall to them, would they take him.(??) I dunno. He doesn't seem to be the kind of QB Fisher would covet, but with Foles contract up after the 2015 season.......

If Mariotta drops to #10 then I really hope the Rams select him (Unless, they receive an offer TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE!)! I certainly hope Foles is as good as some fans think (Including me!) but what if he isn't and what if he is that good and the Rams can't re-sign him after this season? It just seems to be the prudent thing would to be prepared if that happens if Mariotta does actually become available to the Rams (Which, I am by no means a Draft Expert but I seriously doubt this happens!). Quality QB's aren't always available when you want or need them and if he falls in their lap I think the Rams should be more than happy to take him!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
There are too many options t this point to guess who the pick is but I really think Scherf stands a good chance of being the pick. However the Giants could take him ahead of the Rams.

Fisher really liked Martin last year and he ended up being a very good Guard. Some believe that Scherf will be an All-Pro as a Guard. Martin was chosen just outside the top ten. So, if he Rams believe that Scherf and Martin are on the same level, 10 is not a whole lot different than 12. They could just pull the trigger and get a guy very close to one that they were willing to trade for, in a very good draft. They saw value in taking Martin and giving up picks for him. That thinking probably doesn't change.

lockdnram21

Legend
Depends on who is available.

Really don't like Scherff at 10. If WRs are off the board, our pick should be a trade.
Even if wr are on the board do u actually think Fisher would take one that early. I feel they like what they have and want to see what they look like with a real qb and line. I could see them drafting somebody in later rounds to take Givens spot though

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Even if wr are on the board do u actually think Fisher would take one that early. I feel they like what they have and want to see what they look like with a real qb and line. I could see them drafting somebody in later rounds to take Givens spot though

Fisher and Snead were all about the Best Player Available last year. They took Robinson, then Donald despite having a good Dline, and they wanted to trade back into round 1 for Martin. They also said they were prepared to take CJ Mosley if Donald and Martin were off the board. They really liked those 4 players. I think Odell Beckham was mentioned in there too, not sure.

So if they stick to the Best Player Available drafting, then Cooper and White would have to be in the mix. They are better at their position than any of the Olinemen are at theirs.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fisher and Snead were all about the Best Player Available last year. They took Robinson, then Donald despite having a good Dline, and they wanted to trade back into round 1 for Martin. They also said they were prepared to take CJ Mosley if Donald and Martin were off the board. They really liked those 4 players. I think Odell Beckham was mentioned in there too, not sure.

So if they stick to the Best Player Available drafting, then Cooper and White would have to be in the mix. They are better at their position than any of the Olinemen are at theirs.

While I normally agree with the BPA theory unless the Rams add a quality FA Offensive Lineman or two before the Draft I just don't think the Rams will be able to ignore their need at that position and will be somewhat forced to take a one in the 1st Round (Either at #10 or a move down later in the 1st Round). I am keeping my fingers crossed that they can sign at least one good Offensive Lineman before the Draft so they can have the luxury/flexibility of drafting the BPA.

Athos

Legend
I think Odell Beckham was mentioned in there too, not sure.

You are correct. In fact, I think the thing was that if Donald was gone to the Giants who they were worried about I think, they would take Odell. Martin was only in play for a trade up, so they clearly had Donald/Beckham as BPA.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You are correct. In fact, I think the thing was that if Donald was gone to the Giants who they were worried about I think, they would take Odell. Martin was only in play for a trade up, so they clearly had Donald/Beckham as BPA.

Which gives me hope that if they think White or Cooper are BPA they will take them!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I think the Ram are going to select Brandon Scherff in round one and WR Sammie Coates in round two.

Giants could throw a monkey wrench into this by selecting Scherff at 9, but if he's there Scherff will be the pick they see him as this years Zack Martin...As to Coates in round two although I feel others are better the fact that Coates is from Auburn will trump the others @Memphis Ram is right on point on this subject matter.

Big Willie

Starter
If Schreff is not there, they trade down. I have heard the draft is deep in OL talent, so my feeling is that unless the one guy they presumable want, Schreff,...they look to acquire more picks. More picks would allow them to get the QB and MLB they need, while still addressing the OL. With the trade down, they select Todd Gurley. (BPA)

lockdnram21

Legend
I never heard Beckham. What I heard was they had planned on picking Martin at 13 but Donald was there and to goof to pass up. I heard they had no intention on drafting receiver last year

Athos

Legend
I never heard Beckham. What I heard was they had planned on picking Martin at 13 but Donald was there and to goof to pass up. I heard they had no intention on drafting receiver last year

Nope. I remember them thinking they had no chance at getting Donald at 13 when he dropped to them, they jumped on it like a crack whore who snorts coke off pavement. They were considering Beckham at 13 and trading up for Martin I believe. Can't remember who reported it.

lockdnram21

Legend
Nope. I remember them thinking they had no chance at getting Donald at 13 when he dropped to them, they jumped on it like a crack whore who snorts coke off pavement. They were considering Beckham at 13 and trading up for Martin I believe. Can't remember who reported it.
Oh ok I don't remember anything about Beckham. I remember wagoner and JT saying they had no intention of drafting wr and that Martin would have been the pick if Donald wasn't there. Then they liked him so much they were thinking of trading back in the first to get him

lockdnram21

Legend
If you look at the teams drafting there is a good chance one of them will be there.
Somebody will trade up. One of them will go to Raiders. Then somebody will trade up for other. All the nfl people say that. They say the only reason they mock him to us is because they don't mock trades and don't know who is going to trade up