Who do you keep?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
With most of us expecting a coaching change who would you like keep (other than the obvious) and who would let go of on the roster?

On the bubble, keepers

Oline
Barnes - Although he's not a very good starting center I think if you could retain him as a backup/ possible starter if you can't fill his position in the offseason.
Brown - Again, he looks like a solid backup, possibly a starter under the right blocking scheme.
Robinson - I think you only keep him because of where he was picked at the draft. Maybe another coaching staff will have better luck in coaching him up at LT or Guard.
Donnal - After rewatching the Saints game other than his one false start he played pretty well. Gave up one pressure but stood his ground and looked like he had a good bend to him. I say keep him and let him finish out the rest of the season at LT to see what he's got. What do we have to lose?
Battle - Another guy who needs a long hard look at in the offseason. I honestly don't think he'll be retained by another staff because he's a complete project and we already have one of those. But I'd like to see what he has to offer incase Grob doesn't work out.

WR/TE's
Britt - He's probably having one of his best years as a pro, the 28 year old is on pace for his first 1,000 yard season. Whats even more impressive he's the only WR who shows up week after week even with sub-par QB play. The only reason why I would put him on the bubble is because he takes plays off he usually has his best seasons on contract years, and you can't have that with your #1 WR. He's more of a #2
Thomas - Who? What has this guy done? How can you not get on the field with this current WR roster? It could be the decision of the coaching staff. I'd see what he has next offseason with a new staff. Cut bait if he doesn't standout.
Cooper - Again who? The guy has played a handful of downs and has looked pretty good when given the chance, but that's the thing he needs to be given the chance. Another coaching decision im sure
Spruce - Keep him on the roster for 2017, even tho he's been injured he looks like he could be a player.

Dead weight, cut bait

Oline
Whichmann - Sorry but the kid has been outright terrible. I saw a member of the saints Dline split a double team with him and Barnes and hit Gurely for a loss. Just terrible. He needs to go byebye.
Saffold - While i like that he's very versatile he cannot seem to stay healthy. He gets bumped to LT and boom he gets hurt. What's the point of having him on the roster if he spends half of his career riding the bench due to injuries? Peace be with you.
Rhaney - Why is he still here? The guy plays like garbage. He can throw onehelluva chop block tho, lol.

WR's
Quick - I know there are still some quick moms out there but the guy has completely disappeared since what, week 4? The guy has had his chance.
Marquez - He wouldn't even get on the field on any other roster. I know he plays Special Teams but I feel Thomas can fill in for him and there will be other UDFA's we can pick up that will do his job.

Dline
Sims - Really doesn't offer much more other than 15 yard penalties
Hayes - An aging player that needs to be replaced by younger talent. I think the Rams made a mistake letting go of Long because Hayes is a solid backup player, nothing more.
Cam Thomas - He's had a couple good moments but mostly gets pushed around and doesn't offer in much of movement. Again we outdid ourselves by not resigning Fairley. He basically signed in NO for the minimum and has been very solid.

QB
Case Keenum - While i was rooting for him to succeed when he was starting, my expectations needed to be given a shot of reality once teams started adjusting to our anemic offense. He's a solid backup but offers nothing more than a game manager.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You can't get rid of them all at once but I would keep one Olineman - Havenstein.

I would keep one WR - Britt

I would keep the defense in tact but add a top cornerback and a young DE

Back to rebuilding........again. At least they seem to have a QB for the future. Seems like 2010 all over again.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You can't get rid of them all at once but I would keep one Olineman - Havenstein.

I would keep one WR - Britt

I would keep the defense in tact but add a top cornerback and a young DE

Back to rebuilding........again. At least they seem to have a QB for the future. Seems like 2010 all over again.

Yeah i think there are some obvious keeps. Those are the ones i didn't rattle off

I honestly don't think it should be much a rebuild, we have most of the pieces in place. We need better offensive coaching and HC. I think that will solve a lot of our problems. I think we rebuild if we go from 4-3 to 3-4 which i doubt happens.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
I would start with Goff, Gurley and Donald, and then have open competition everywhere else.

Killgasm

Starter
Name
Alex
Coaches:
G.Williams
Waffle
Fassel

Players:
Goff
Gurley
Cunnnigham
Britt
Cooper
Havenstein
J.Brown
GRob(as guard)

Donald
Brockers
Quinn
Ogletree
Barron
Johnson
Tj Mac

Hekker
Zurlein
Mcquade(spelling?)

fearsomefour

Legend
There is literally $0 savings in cutting Grob after this year because of his contract. No benefit to cutting him.
Saffold, Williams, Battle are my Oline cuts....a little cap savings there, about $5M total. Wichmann is cheap and young. I'm bringing him back to see if he can develop.
Sims I would cut to save some cap space. Quinn could be considered as well, but not likely.
I'm not too worried about resigning Britt or Cunningham....would like to keep them both however.
I am one of those aforementioned Quick moms. He can come back to suckle at my supple fan-teet.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Cap really dictates the outcome of the question when you apply the real world of NFL rosters.
Offense
O.L
GRob sticks , he is developing albeit Sloooowly and should be a guard prospect if LT doesn't pan out. Cody Jamon and big Rob also have a place.
WR
Cooper, Britt, Austin. additions needed bad
RB
stays as is add a player through F.A
T.E
Higbee, Kendricks stay add 1 at least
QB set

Defense

Dline
keep them with exception of Simms and maybe Thomas Cam had a bad game but he is cheap and has some upside.
LB
A.O, MB and Forrest stay. most new coaches will want to add a traditional LB or 2 to round out this group of Hybrid ex" DB converts
DB's
TJ mac, although not his best season is solid EJ is cheap but needs to heal. Tru stays, Mo stays some additions needed
Joyner has a place just wish he had more height.

I hope we do not have a huge turnover but if G.Williams is gone which if Fish goes he very likely will be our D could see a bit of turnover due to it's untraditional makeup and D philosophy is a huge factor.

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
Talking specifically about the O line: It's hard to qualify these guys after such horrible coaching. I would keep most of the Oline simply because they have had no coaching. Havenstein, Brown, Robinson.................WTF happened?? There is only one explanation IMO.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If they're under contract they return, plain and simple, to compete in camp. If they're not under contract, those are the guys we need to discuss:

QB Keenum: gone
RB Cunningham: RE-SIGN
RB Reynolds: gone
WR Quick: gone
WR Britt: gone
DT Thomas: RE-SIGN
RFA DL: TENDER THEM ALL (Easely, Westbrooks, Trinka-Passat, Longacre)
DT Brockers: gone
CB Johnson: gone
S McDonald: gone
K Zuerline: gone

This is a losing team. So I'm not going to act like we have a diamond in the rough in Quick, or that Britt is so important, or that TJM is gonna be a Pro Bowl safety, or that Zuerline will be better. We'll see something along the lines above IMO, they might keep Johnson around if the new staff likes him, otherwise he's gonna be too pricey.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If they're under contract they return, plain and simple, to compete in camp. If they're not under contract, those are the guys we need to discuss:

This is a losing team. So I'm not going to act like we have a diamond in the rough in Quick, or that Britt is so important, or that TJM is gonna be a Pro Bowl safety, or that Zuerline will be better. We'll see something along the lines above IMO, they might keep Johnson around if the new staff likes him, otherwise he's gonna be too pricey.

You lost me here. First of all, Brockers was extended. There's no reason to let him walk either ways. Johnson is easily our best CB. He's top 15 at worst in the NFL. We'd be silly to let him walk. McDonald is borderline. Alexander could replace him. I'm 50/50 on him. Zuerlein shouldn't be going anywhere. He's bounced back nicely this season.

And re-sign Cam Thomas? Really? We can do so much better than him.

This being a losing team doesn't mean you gut a good defense.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake

I agree this is a losing team but you're talking about getting rid of some of our best players and keeping some of the worst.
I agree with letting Quick hit the road but I'd keep Britt and make him our No. 2
Brokers we just extended no way he's going anywhere.
Johnson, you might be onto something there.
Id get rid of Alexander before McDonald

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Well, you can't cut the entire oline.
But....it needs to improve.

Teams have done it before when a new regime comes in. They need some turn over on that Oline with the starters because what they have now isn't working

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Donnal - After rewatching the Saints game other than his one false start he played pretty well. Gave up one pressure but stood his ground and looked like he had a good bend to him. I say keep him and let him finish out the rest of the season at LT to see what he's got. What do we have to lose?
Just a QB

Who do we keep? The players...You change a culture from the TOP down....I'd let a REAL HC evaluate what we have.

Several of the unsigned players will weed themselves out...I'd pass out a bunch of 1-2 year deals....Lets SEE who can really play with better coaching.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Well, you can't cut the entire oline.
But....it needs to improve.
Then why not start on the biggest problem on the OL? Do not start GRob @ left OT. It would help if the same basic starting OL'ers in OTA's, Training Camp & Pre season start in the same posts.

Fact & truth is 3/5 ths of our starting OL was changed the week the regular season began...tell me how something like this would not have contributed to all this inconstancy ????? You Think :shocking:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Then why not start on the biggest problem on the OL? Do not start GRob @ left OT. It would help if the same basic starting OL'ers in OTA's, Training Camp & Pre season start in the same posts.

Fact & truth is 3/5 ths of our starting OL was changed the week the regular season began...tell me how something like this would not have contributed to all this inconstancy ????? You Think :shocking:

Early in the season, yes.

But they had weeks and weeks of practice and games with the same basic lineup, and still showed no improvement. And in fact, they were and are worse than last year when the Rams were doing their usual week-to-week OLine shuffle due to injuries.

The training camp instability theory takes you maybe to week two or three. After that, it ceases to have any real value in explaining our Oline struggles, because there was a consistent lineup.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Just a QB

Who do we keep? The players...You change a culture from the TOP down....I'd let a REAL HC evaluate what we have.

Several of the unsigned players will weed themselves out...I'd pass out a bunch of 1-2 year deals....Lets SEE who can really play with better coaching.

I know it's a small sample size buuuuut....

Donnal PFF grade 72.8

Grob PFF grade 35.4

Give me Donnal any day of the week.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

I agree. Continuity has been a big problem with these guys. There's been so much shuffling going on the past few years. It's frustrating. Our interior is constantly getting pushed back and rarely open the holes needed for a decent run game.
Hav is a keeper.
Our Guard and C play has been rough.
I don't know what to do whit Grob and LT. Why not try him at G at this point? Is he really to big to play that position? His skill set would fit G well imo. I think he'd play much better if he didn't have to handle the speed rusher from the outside.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
There is literally $0 savings in cutting Grob after this year because of his contract. No benefit to cutting him.
Saffold, Williams, Battle are my Oline cuts....a little cap savings there, about $5M total. Wichmann is cheap and young. I'm bringing him back to see if he can develop.
Sims I would cut to save some cap space. Quinn could be considered as well, but not likely.
I'm not too worried about resigning Britt or Cunningham....would like to keep them both however.
I am one of those aforementioned Quick moms. He can come back to suckle at my supple fan-teet.
I have one major disagreement, I wouldn't let Battle go.
A) It wouldn't save any money, He's been on the PS.
and B) he had a real good Training camp and was "Pancaking" some members of out "D"! He's a keeper to me!(y)

…..

Legend
WHAT????????? DONT GUT THIS TEAM

Find a coaching staff that can win with them. The players are not the problem. Anyone you don't keep should be regular roster turnover and bottom of the depth chart improvements.

We have good players on the roster that do not fit the offensive scheme. These players would be fine under a different scheme.