Who did McVay remind you of today?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Martz, I bet he would of liked to have those time outs back that he wasted early in the second half.

Ellard80

Legend
Yes this is one of the worries I have about a guy who just focuses on the offense.. it causes a lack of looking at the big picture of the game.

However if Zeurlien doesn't miss that field goal and we don't have 5 turnovers it doesn't matter.

~lyser

Rookie
meh, didn't matter anyway.

Cooper Kupp catches that 99 out of 100 times. Goff showed some clutch play - liked that. 5 turnovers - can't have that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Difference between McVay and Martz is that our OL protects the QB because the play-calling doesn't hang them all out to dry. I'm fine with Martzian tendencies. Martz was successful here. If McVay can be as successful, I'll take it. But I do get pissed when he wastes timeouts.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
@jrry32 Martz wasted time outs too. It's definitely a valid comparison for this one game.

Where McVay is different is in his ego or lack thereof. He isn't going to be convinced that passing 55 times would have been the difference like Martz would have been. I expect him to go back and evaluate himself and improve, as that is why he is where he is at his age.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
cant wait to see post game press conference.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@jrry32 Martz wasted time outs too. It's definitely a valid comparison for this one game.

Where McVay is different is in his ego or lack thereof. He isn't going to be convinced that passing 55 times would have been the difference like Martz would have been. I expect him to go back and evaluate himself and improve, as that is why he is where he is at his age.

That's why I'm agreeing with the Martz comparison. He does manage the game like Martz.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
He wasn't careless with them in the first half, but then got way too conservative when he had a chance to use them.

Lots of little things went wrong in this game.

Too many penalties, turnovers, and dumb mistakes (including playcalling)

The refs were calling plays for the away team. Multiple times I saw plays clearly from the broadcast that were just no calls.

McVay was certainly careless with timeouts to start the second half. He was obsessed with gaining a rhythm. They never found it.

Way too many mixings of personel. I really didn't understand that.

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
Martz with Phillips at DC would have been a heck of a combination, so I like the Martz comparisons.
McVay will be fine, Goff will be fine, all will be fine. (I do worry about Watkins though.

WvuIN02

Starter
Hes a first year coach who is younger than most people on this board.
As Aaron Rodgers would say, relax.
That first td coming off the board took the wind out of their sails. That said, keep things in perspective. This is the NFL and you have to bring it every week, a franchise HoF QB had the worst game of his career today.

Only one team has ever gone undefeated. McVay will learn and grow along with the team.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
@jrry32

Where McVay is different is in his ego or lack thereof....

I expect him to go back and evaluate himself and improve, as that is why he is where he is at his age.

McVay has an ego, Merlin. I guarantee it.

He just doesn't display the ego in the same weird, dismissive way that Martz would.

London59

Rookie
Name
London59
Martz, I bet he would of liked to have those time outs back that he wasted early in the second half.

Martz would have put up 30 points or more. McVay reminded me of Fisher. Badly game planned runs for losses, turnovers, dropped passes, poor passes and happy feet with Goff, and special teams break down by Zeurlein at a critical point in the game. It was exactly how the Rams looked last year!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Martz would have put up 30 points or more. McVay reminded me of Fisher. Badly game planned runs for losses, turnovers, dropped passes, poor passes and happy feet with Goff, and special teams break down by Zeurlein at a critical point in the game. It was exactly how the Rams looked last year!

I think that's pretty insulting when you look at the game realistically. It was a bad day for us, but we still put up 380+ yards of offense and should have scored 30 points against a top defense. We made a lot of errors today. That cost us 20 points. That's on the team and McVay. However, this was not a Jeff Fisher performance. If this were a Jeff Fisher-led Rams team with 5 turnovers, we would have lost by four TDs.

I also did not see anything approaching happy feet from Goff. He stood tall in the pocket all game long, and the OL actually blocked well except for the Clark strip-sack.

This was far from how the Rams looked last year. Today, I saw a good team play a bad game. Last year, I saw a bad team play a lot of bad games.

Reality is that we're not the New England Patriots. We can't expect a dominant team every week. We're going to have some bad games. Goff will have some bad games. But the key for us will be having enough good games to allow us to make the playoffs.

And at the end of the day, we had a bad game and still had the game-winning TD in the two hands of a sure-handed WR who couldn't pull it down. If we can do that on a day where we play like shit against a playoff team, we can go far this year.

Sappy113

Rookie
He didn't remind me of any other particular coach. What he reminded me of was a young, rookie HC who still has a lot to learn, but who also certainly has the insight and accountability to do just that. That's what a lot of this season will be about: learning and growing. The end goal is becoming the dominant team we all hope for. I already see shades of that, when we can play a really bad game and still feel like we should've handily won the game.