Who are your top 5 Rams coaches of all-time?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
My list has Martz on it. The Rams were bad, boring, and irrelevant before he came to St.Louis and they have been nothing but bad, boring, and irrelevant ever since he left.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
My list has Martz on it. The Rams were bad, boring, and irrelevant before he came to St.Louis and they have been nothing but bad, boring, and irrelevant ever since he left.

Martz went 56-36, made the playoffs 4 out of 5 years, totally rebuilt a defense and went to the SB that same year, and never finished lower than 2nd in the division. How he's not on some Rams fans list of top 5 coaches is beyond me. I get that some didn't like his philosophy or drafting, but how do people leave him off?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I Blame the previous FO for a lot of this!!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Martz went 56-36, made the playoffs 4 out of 5 years, totally rebuilt a defense and went to the SB that same year, and never finished lower than 2nd in the division. How he's not on some Rams fans list of top 5 coaches is beyond me. I get that some didn't like his philosophy or drafting, but how do people leave him off?
I feel your pain, but if you check out my list (above) you'll understand why he doesn't make the Top 5!:D

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I think that you have the wrong guy on your list. Vermeil didn't win jack without Martz.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I think that you have the wrong guy on your list. Vermeil didn't win jack without Martz.

Please, this again? It was the combination..Career Record for Vermeil 120-109 and a 6-5 playoff record and 1-1 in Super Bowls.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
4. Gillman
This was the genius I forgot about...Man knew offensive football....father of the modern passing game...you young bucks need to read up on him...

Vermeil's first 2 years were a testament to how far the game had passed him by. Then came Martz, Faulk and Warner.
DeMarco Farr talks about Vermeils first two years in that Super Bowl piece on NFLN..In there he explains why they weren't winning, it was basically to toughen them up...1998 & 1997 were 2 of the worst Rams teams (ever) for a reason....Vermeil rebuilt them...

GoldHorns

UDFA
Name
Golden
Curious what some of you come up with. I was brought up during Vermeil/Martz and would definitely put Dick #1, but who else makes the top 5? John Robinson and who else?

I'm excited to be schooled by my elders (y)
Vermeil
Robinson
Allen
Malavasi
Knox
Martz as a oc but sucked as hc. Ruined the team through draft and unable to modify offense after defenses grasped how to defend it better.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Martz is #1 on the list for me. He had the best record of any Rams coach, and if not for a screw job, he would have won us our 2nd "super"bowl. Don't think for a second that another coach could have changed the pre-determined outcome for that game. They gave the audience red white and blue glow sticks for the half time show for fucks sake.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Maybe so. But I've Lived thru all of them from '51 on and I'll stick with my List.

So basically you're telling me you like Harland Svare the best? How about Dan Reeves (owner of the Rams not Broncos/Falcons/Giant Head Coach) saying??? "I had more fun losing with Harland Svare than I ever had winning with George Allen."

And BTW Dick Vermeil should be number one on everybody's list for he gave Ram fans...No debate as good as George Allen was, he choked in the playoffs and so did Knox. They tightened up in the playoffs.

Allen got the monkey somewhat off his back with the Redskins, but his career playoff record was 2-7! 2 and freaking 7...Knox was better at 7-11, but suffered some tough gut wrenching loses and the decision to go with an injured James Harris over a hot Ron Jaworski in the 1975 NFC Championship against the Cowboys and the 37-7 loss I will never forgive him for.

Last edited:

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
1. Steve Spagnuolo
2. Jim Haslett
3. Scott Linehan
4. Joe Vitt
5. Rich Brooks

I've been blessed as a Rams fan. Four of those guys have been head coach during my time. It's a miracle I'm still here

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
So basically you're telling me you like Harland Svare the best? How about Dan Reeves (owner of the Rams not Broncos/Falcons/Giant Head Coach) saying??? "I had more fun losing with Harland Svare than I ever had winning with George Allen."

And BTW Dick Vermeil should be number one on everybody's list for he gave Ram fans...No debate as good as George Allen was, he choked in the playoffs and so did Knox. They tightened up in the playoffs.

Allen got the monkey somewhat off his back with the Redskins, but his career playoff record was 2-7! 2 and freaking 7...Knox was better at 7-11, but suffered some tough gut wrenching loses and the decision to go with an injured James Harris over a hot Ron Jaworski in the 1975 NFC Championship against the Cowboys and the 37-7 loss I will never forgive him for.
You where talking about Gillman vs Lombardi that's what I was answering!
If you had more Fun with Harland Svar than George Allen then you weren't watching the Fearsome FourSome!
And Chuck Knox was my #6, more of an 'Honorable mention!'
Further more IF you thought Ron Jaworski was HOT, you must have been very young and un-informed!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I couldn't bring myself to include Martz. The thread say's 'coaches', but I took it as 'head coaches.' Otherwise, we agree...

Martz is among the Top 5 Coordinators, but drafting and game management toss him off my list.

I agree. Martz did a lot of good things for the Rams, but that drafting and pig-headedness cost us a super bowl (IMO) and set the franchise back for years with draft reaches.

Vermiel
Allen
Robinson
Knox
Prothro (just kidding)... Malavasi

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You forgot Harland Svare...Much lower winning percentage than Poppa Smurf Brooks!
harland_svare_1964_09_01.jpg
Now, if Svare didn't belong in L.A, I don't know who did!

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Further more IF you thought Ron Jaworski was HOT, you must have been very young and un-informed!

In 75 Jaws led the Rams to victories over the Steelers and Cardinals and I felt he played very well against the Cardinals, did he not? Keep in mind I was nine at the time and IMO the Rams would have been better served keeping Jaworski instead of Haden.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
In 75 Jaws led the Rams to victories over the Steelers and Cardinals and I felt he played very well against the Cardinals, did he not? Keep in mind I was nine at the time and IMO the Rams would have been better served keeping Jaworski instead of Haden.
I've got 21 years on you, But I completely agree with, in retrospect, We should have stayed with Jaws instead of Haden!