Who are the FAs we need in your opinion?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JRobinson

MiLB
So it's obvious that there is a lot of optimism here right now and it's great to see. I think the last time there was this much excitement was after our 3-1 start to the season.

With that said, who should be the main targets in the FA period? Please refrain from the All Madden pickups and crazy cap situations. I think that it is obvious that we will need to pick up a few pieces in free agency due to the fact that we don't have many substantial draft picks.

For me, I'd like Garćon, Pryor (call me loony), and one of the guards that may hit the open market. Not sure which guard due to what coaching direction we go (zone blocking scheme, pass pro,.. etc?).

Overall I am just really interested to see what others are feeling at this point in time with McVay in charge.

sdakotaram

Rookie
Name
sdakotaram
IMO.....we need OL, WR, DB, LB.

I'd like us to look at Andre Holmes, A.J. Bouye, and Riley Reiff. We also need to resign JJ.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think we need to make a FA splash or two.

I know the risk with Alshon Jeffery, but there is an insanely good fit here IMO.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Instead of a Scott Wells debacle, I'd like nothing more than to hit on a Adam Timmerman (or 2) like they did in the GSOT days...I think that would be huge...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OFFENSE

My top target for the offense is OG Zeitler with OG Lang as a backup option. My rationale is then draft a Center since you can get those guys midrounds. OL isn't perfect at that point, but Saffold at LT with competition behind him would be my approach for this year vice overpaying for lesser options like Whitworth so he can ride into the sunset with that big signing bonus. Then look at LT next year.

Wideout has to be addressed so I'd go get Garcon. He's a bit long in the tooth but is the vet we need to give us some production while serving as a role model for our young wideouts.

DEFENSE

Tag Trumaine and hope he has a huge season under Wade. I'm expecting CB to be a high probability in the draft in round 2, since the class looks nice and we need insurance for if Gaines isn't fully back to what he was.

My big FA target would be Melvin Ingram. I really like his game and don't think he was maximized in San Diego the way Phillips will. Another option is Zach Brown, but the question with him is whether he conveniently turned it on in his FA season or whether that was due to playing for Ryan. Regardless, LB is going to need to be addressed, and the direction is dependent on where Ogletree and Barron play. I know McVay said inside for both, but that's tbd in my opinion because I'm not sure Barron is best served there.

That's it for the bigger contract types. Of course they are going to need to sign some budget types particularly on defense to shake things up under the new DC and give him a look at some other options. But the truth here is that they can't address everything, so improvement from many of the young guys on the roster will be key for next year too, in order to allow for better play across all the positions.

fearsomefour

Legend
Instead of a Scott Wells debacle, I'd like nothing more than to hit on a Adam Timmerman (or 2) like they did in the GSOT days...I think that would be huge...
Finding value vs signing a known name is key.
Two of the best signings in that era, especially when you consider salary, were Ray Agnew at DT and Tom Nutten at LG. Nutten really locked down the interior line. Found him in Canada if I remember correctly.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Jeffery/Pryor, and Keep Britt and most of our WR issues are solved.

Other than that we need CB, LB, G, OT, and C.
We also have to take into account that FA hardly works out the way you think it will. How many times have we seen teams go big in FA and not have those players work out at all. Miami did so so 3 years ago and it ended up being a huge waste of time and resources. I think we get peices that fit out scheme and that's it. It might only be one to three players and two out of the three will probably just be stopgap players. I think If we land a legit WR in FA and he works out we will be golden.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I've said this name before and I am sticking by it. I would not be surprised at all if Vernon Davis was signed.

TexasRam

Legend
I'm going hard after two of the better olineman. Whitworth and possibly Leary Warford, Tretter etc.

I need two linemen to give an offense a chance.

I'm also retaining Saffold and hoping he stays healthy.

I can aim to replace Warford in 2018 or 19 draft.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
OFFENSE

My top target for the offense is OG Zeitler with OG Lang as a backup option. My rationale is then draft a Center since you can get those guys midrounds. OL isn't perfect at that point, but Saffold at LT with competition behind him would be my approach for this year vice overpaying for lesser options like Whitworth so he can ride into the sunset with that big signing bonus. Then look at LT next year.

Wideout has to be addressed so I'd go get Garcon. He's a bit long in the tooth but is the vet we need to give us some production while serving as a role model for our young wideouts.

DEFENSE

Tag Trumaine and hope he has a huge season under Wade. I'm expecting CB to be a high probability in the draft in round 2, since the class looks nice and we need insurance for if Gaines isn't fully back to what he was.

My big FA target would be Melvin Ingram. I really like his game and don't think he was maximized in San Diego the way Phillips will. Another option is Zach Brown, but the question with him is whether he conveniently turned it on in his FA season or whether that was due to playing for Ryan. Regardless, LB is going to need to be addressed, and the direction is dependent on where Ogletree and Barron play. I know McVay said inside for both, but that's tbd in my opinion because I'm not sure Barron is best served there.

That's it for the bigger contract types. Of course they are going to need to sign some budget types particularly on defense to shake things up under the new DC and give him a look at some other options. But the truth here is that they can't address everything, so improvement from many of the young guys on the roster will be key for next year too, in order to allow for better play across all the positions.

No way in hell can you tag Tru in back to back years. You have any idea how much money that would cost us? Not worth it. And if that's what it takes to keep him, take it easy Tru. There's the door.

lockdnram21

Legend
No way in hell can you tag Tru in back to back years. You have any idea how much money that would cost us? Not worth it. And if that's what it takes to keep him, take it easy Tru. There's the door.
Exactly..... Tru is not worth anything close to that... Anything over 6-7 million I would let him walk

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
You mean like a "Kenny Iman Type!" and a " Jackie Slater Type!" That would be great!

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Personally, I hope they dont spend too much on FA WRs. Maybe im really naive and a poor talent evaluate, but I still think we got good WRs on the roster. They just need experience and a better offensive coaching staff to help them improve. I really like Cooper, Thomas, and Higbee for that matter, coming out of college, and think they can all be good wrs in this league along with Tavon. Not saying just roll into next season with them, but with Tavon already making 11m or whatever id hate to see too much money given to FA wrs on top of that

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
I'm one of the few that want nothing to do with Whitworth in any way shape or form. Tired of signing OLinemen at the end of their career coming off injuries. My mock had us singing AJ Bouye at CB and I'd still like that. A few others that are very intriguing are:

G Kevin Zeitler
WR Pierre Garcon
C JC Tretter
CB Morris Claiborne
LB Zach Brown (could be a nice addition to the inside)
LB DeMarcus Ware (I think he'd be an amazing signing to help the front 7 transition to Wades defense at the end of his career)
LB Sio Moore (another ILB possibility)
CB Micah Hyde
Kiko Alonso (Only 27 and was relatively healthy last year could be a steal as an RFA)
CB Jerraud Powers
C Eric Kush (bring back fat arm fridays!!!)
OLB Dekoda Watson

As for our free agents I'd love to resign Easley. TruJo as well if the price is right. Greg Zeurlein has earned a contract this year also.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Exactly..... Tru is not worth anything close to that... Anything over 6-7 million I would let him walk

He is going to make twice that easily on the open market as the best corner out there. No way is he cutting his salary in half. He will come down a little from his current 14.5 mil, but will get around Janoris money.