Who Are Our Realistic Options For First Draft Choice?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
we will trade down to #4 getting an extra second and a first for next year, then we will trade #4 for #6, picking up another second and third and maybe a second next year, with the #6 pick we will take SW, then at #13 we will take Barr, with our 3 second rounders we will take an OT, OG and a Safety. that's my dream scenario.
I don't think Watkins gets past the Raiders at 5.

I like your enthusiasm though:D

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Barr or Mack, or a DT maybe. We have already excluded QB, discussed OL, WR and DE. RB and TE not a high enough need the DB's are possible but it's a bit high. That doesn't leave much else.

I think Mack would be an I unbelievably versatile weapon for the defense. He could be more impactful than Clowney with everything he does so well.

Memphis Ram

Legend
My guess is that one of these five players will be one of the Rams first selections (with or without a trade):

JaDeveon Clowney DE South Carolina
Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo
Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn
Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson

Last edited by a moderator:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
My guess is that one of these five players will be one of the Rams first selections (with or without a trade):

JaDeveon Clowney DE South Carolina
Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo
Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn
Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson

I'd have a hard time not being happy with those guys.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
With QB's not in play drafting at #2
Clowney
Robinson
Matthews.
And Watkins if he is absolutely lights out at the combine.
In that order. But really it's Clowney or Robinson for their upside. Anyone else then we left talent on the table and made the team worse.
When drafting that high it's as much about how good they can be not how good they are now.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Robinson scares me. All this talk of rawness but great athlete and huge upside... isn't that exactly what was said about Jason Smith?

First off you don't draft one player because he reminds of another also Robinson is very physical the only question is pass blocking on an island Jason Smith was a converted TE who was never physical at all and the difference is night and day.

How about watching some games Robinson played before calling him another Jason Smith? He's a mountain of man that pancaked Alabama and played in the best division in college. Jake Matthews also has quite a bit to offer, hey Watkins might be too good to pass up and as long as the Rams draft some OL after Watkins then fine, but in the NFC West if you are weak in the trenches you're done as a football team.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
we will trade down to #4 getting an extra second and a first for next year, then we will trade #4 for #6, picking up another second and third and maybe a second next year, with the #6 pick we will take SW, then at #13 we will take Barr, with our 3 second rounders we will take an OT, OG and a Safety. that's my dream scenario.
I could be very happy with this scenario (J. Hurst, OT UNC in the 3rd or 4th?) I would also hate to pass on a potential HOF LT because I don't expect to be drafting so highly again any time soon.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I could be very happy with this scenario (J. Hurst, OT UNC in the 3rd or 4th?) I would also hate to pass on a potential HOF LT because I don't expect to be drafting so highly again any time soon.
How do you talk HOF for someone who hasn't even been drafted yet? Even "potential"?

This is the biggest assumption that bugs me out of the Draft A Tackle camp.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
First off you don't draft one player because he reminds of another also Robinson is very physical the only question is pass blocking on an island Jason Smith was a converted TE who was never physical at all and the difference is night and day.

How about watching some games Robinson played before calling him another Jason Smith? He's a mountain of man that pancaked Alabama and played in the best division in college. Jake Matthews also has quite a bit to offer, hey Watkins might be too good to pass up and as long as the Rams draft some OL after Watkins then fine, but in the NFC West if you are weak in the trenches you're done as a football team.
I admit I'm not a big college watcher and I'm going off what I've heard. If the Smith comparisons are unfair, then so be it, but "raw" is a huge red flag when picking this early.

And I fully agree that the offensive line needs help. I just don't see the sense in drafting a LT when we just signed someone to be LT last year, and having that #2 draft pick playing G or RT, when we could have had a lower pick playing those positions just as well. I say, wait until you need a LT, then draft one. If you have a leaky boat, don't patch the strong point. And for the rest of the line, fix it in Round 2 or 3 or through FA.

Now if the Rams pick a tackle, the only thing I'll be able to conclude is that they must have bought into this "potential HOFer" stuff too... because otherwise, it's a huge mistake. And maybe I'll eventually have to admit I'm wrong and they ARE that good. The second the Rams pull the trigger on picking either, it's what I'll start hoping for because I'll NEVER hope the Rams fail just so I can "be right".

Now, all that said... I'd rather have a (temporarily?) out of position tackle than Clowney (reports on his work ethic scare me, and that doesn't seem an issue with either tackle) or one of the big QBs (at least the tackle would be on the field doing something and not holding a clipboard.)

Last edited:

iced

Not true - Jason Smith was known to be a mauler. Concussions were a big part of his bust status

The converted TE remark is overblown - if anything it just showed he was athletic, dudes head wasn't right

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Why do does the draft Sammy Watkins side make such high demands in demanding any selection of a OT that this OT must be HOF pass protection caliber @ the same time the Watkins side is just fine with Sammy being a true Ram #1 wide out??? Sounds like the scales are off:whistle:

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Why do does the draft Sammy Watkins side make such high demands in demanding any selection of a OT that this OT must be HOF pass protection caliber @ the same time the Watkins side is just fine with Sammy being a true Ram #1 wide out??? Sounds like the scales are off:whistle:
It's the side wanting to draft Robinson or Matthews that keeps going on about how we can't pass up a potential Hall of Fame player and how we picked the best player for the next 10 years.

All I'm personally saying is that if we do draft an OT, he needs to be significantly more talented than Watkins.

Why? Because if you're drafting offensive line early 1st round, you're drafting a Left Tackle. Full stop. We already have an expensive Left Tackle that we signed JUST LAST YEAR. So the draft a tackle advocates want to play this redundant Left Tackle at Right Tackle or Guard (either) for a while until Jake Long is done. Great people for those positions can be had later, so if you're going to use a pick that high on someone in those positions for now, then the dude had better be a World Beater.

On the other hand, we do not have a #1 WR. Someone we pick later COULD turn into one, or someone on the team now COULD develop into one, but those situations are rare.

If all other things are equal, you pick the guy you need instead of the guy you already have.

iced

I'm on the Watkins side and I haven't heard of this ridiculousness...

I don't see an Orlando Pace out there,but it ain't like I'm looking at Torry holt either.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
How do you talk HOF for someone who hasn't even been drafted yet? Even "potential"?

This is the biggest assumption that bugs me out of the Draft A Tackle camp.
Hence the bolded "potential". Also, that is not my perspective, I was only playing off of all the talk of the pundits. My point was, down the road if we passed on what was to become a HOF tackle I would have regrets. Unless of course whoever we selected was a HOF'er as well. Perhaps I could have been more clear.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Hence the bolded "potential". Also, that is not my perspective, I was only playing off of all the talk of the pundits. My point was, down the road if we passed on what was to become a HOF tackle I would have regrets. Unless of course whoever we selected was a HOF'er as well. Perhaps I could have been more clear.
Even with the bolded potential, it's pretty silly. Of course if the Rams see ANY guy as a Hall of Famer, they should draft him. But I've seen others talking about Robinson as a potential bust.