Who Are Our Realistic Options For First Draft Choice?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I've been trying to figure out if there are any names not mentioned who might end up being the Rams' first draft choice, whether at #2 or hopefully a little bit later. The starting supposition of this is that we are NOT taking a QB.

Here's what I have:

* Watkins, WR

* Matthews or Robinson, OT

* Clowney, DE (if they determine he is just that much better than everyone else, since we are well stocked at his position)

* Trading out of the top 10 completely to stockpile picks.

Besides these names, is there anyone I'm missing as a possible early 1st round pick?

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
How about grouping them into categories of likelihood of being picked.

Clowney - Low
Robinson/Matthews - High
Watkins - Medium
Trade down below top 10 - Low

iced

Clowney - Low
Robinson/Matthews - High
Watkins - Medium

because that's all subject to opinion.

I think all of those names are in the high category.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Exactly. For one big thing, I and others don't believe the tackles are "high" probability when we already have a left tackle and Fisher has a history of not drafting offensive linemen with high picks. I'd actually place that probability as lower than any other option except Clowney.

Others disagree. And that's fine. We'll see what happens. This thread was intended just to ask if there was anyone we weren't considering, not to start the battle up in yet another thread of who the Rams should or probably will draft.

Last edited:

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Barr or Mack, or a DT maybe. We have already excluded QB, discussed OL, WR and DE. RB and TE not a high enough need the DB's are possible but it's a bit high. That doesn't leave much else.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Barr or Mack, or a DT maybe. We have already excluded QB, discussed OL, WR and DE. RB and TE not a high enough need the DB's are possible but it's a bit high. That doesn't leave much else.
Barr I've seen discussed at #13, though his stock may have risen since then.

Do we want to spend a 1st round choice on a guy who won't be on the field in nickel situations though?

iced

Exactly. For one big thing, I and others don't believe the tackles are "high" probability when we already have a left tackle and Fisher has a history of not drafting offensive linemen with high picks. I'd actually place that probability as lower than any other option except Clowney.

Others disagree. And that's fine. We'll see what happens. This thread was intended just to ask if there was anyone we weren't considering, not to start the battle up in yet another thread of who the Rams should or probably will draft.

well I mean for example. Clowney is a given anyway - not just because of his stock, but because of the position. Fisher loves his DE's/D-linemen, and every other first rounder "if guy x wasn't there, who would they take?" always included atleast 1 pass rusher as an alternative. Similar theme for lineman.

And Snead on drafting awhile back - "I like to take a position of weakness, and turn it into a strength." - Could easily see that for Receiver w/ Watkins. They grabbed Tavon last year - add another play maker to the team outwide, and now you're talking.. He knows the importance of having 2 stud's at WR - he was in ATL when they grabbed Julio to Pair with Roddy white.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Clowney - Low
Robinson/Matthews - High
Watkins - Medium
I concur with Maxie on this, I don't see the Rams trading down below 10 unless they're blown away with a deal and feel very strongly unless they resign Saffold and sign another free agent OL that Robinson or Matthews will be their choice. As iced points out that is Max's and yours truly opinion at this time and a few others IMHO.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max

I think all of those names are in the high category.

Yup. Just my wacky opinion.

And it depresses me sometimes how much I'm wrong.

And then when I second guess myself, it turns out my first opinion was better.

The only thing I feel comfortable about is that nobody really knows what they will do until May 8th.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I concur with Maxie on this, I don't see the Rams trading down below 10 unless they're blown away with a deal and feel very strongly unless they resign Saffold and sign another free agent OL that Robinson or Matthews will be their choice. As iced points out that is Max's and yours truly opinion at this time and a few others IMHO.
Seems like no matter which way they go, there's gonna be some disappointed people. ;)

That said, I'll certainly hope for the best if they pass on Watkins to take an OT or anyone else.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max

Yeah. But we are probably wrong, you know.

I'm always wrong when things seem clear to me.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Depends on how far down could see Evans or Lee sneak in there. Maybe Dennard??

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Yeah. But we are probably wrong, you know.

I'm always wrong when things seem clear to me.

Nah, we're right Max, even if they draft Watkins, we were right!

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Seems like no matter which way they go, there's gonna be some disappointed people. ;)

That said, I'll certainly hope for the best if they pass on Watkins to take an OT or anyone else.
Love Sammy Watkins thought he was special when I watched him as a freshman, however, I am very concerned with the OL and feel that Matthews & or Robinson are too good to pass up because before you can go from 0-60 the car must get out of neutral.

jjab360

Legend
In order of how talented I think they are:
1)Clowney
2)Robinson
3)Matthews
4)Watkins

In order of how likely I think it is they will be Rams, taking into account the chances of a trade down and Snisher's draft history:
1)Robinson (Huge upside meets huge need, and Brockers and TA prove Snisher likes grabbing upside early)
2)Watkins (Snead loves grabbing playmakers early)
3)Clowney (Fisher likes grabbing D-linemen early, but we probably trade out of his range)
4)Matthews (Limited upside when compared to Robinson, and Robinson is a better fit as an interior lineman in our PBS)

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Barr I've seen discussed at #13, though his stock may have risen since then.

Do we want to spend a 1st round choice on a guy who won't be on the field in nickel situations though?
I hear you, I'm just trying to come up with choices. Remember nickle situations are potential blitz situations which suits both Barr and Mack

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Love Sammy Watkins thought he was special when I watched him as a freshman, however, I am very concerned with the OL and feel that Matthews & or Robinson are too good to pass up because before you can go from 0-60 the car must get out of neutral.
I fully agree the OL needs help. I just don't agree that it's at LT, or that we should draft who we hope is the replacement for Long now.

Robinson scares me. All this talk of rawness but great athlete and huge upside... isn't that exactly what was said about Jason Smith?

tonyl711

Starter
we will trade down to #4 getting an extra second and a first for next year, then we will trade #4 for #6, picking up another second and third and maybe a second next year, with the #6 pick we will take SW, then at #13 we will take Barr, with our 3 second rounders we will take an OT, OG and a Safety. that's my dream scenario.

F. Mulder

Starter
For me it's really about value and at #2 you are either looking at one of the QBs (which is obviously a non-starter) or Clowney. Given that, IF the Rams picked a Watkins, Robinson, or Mathews anywhere from pick 4-6 (assuming a trade down obviously) I could live with that. But any of those guys at #2? No thanks. I look for the Rams to trade down even if they don't get a perfect value out of it but are close. Anything that can keep them at say #6 or above is all they are after IMO (unless they fall hard for a particular player like they did for Austin last year). #6 or above is going to get you either the #1 WR or one of the top 2 OL IMO.