Whitner: 'Don't forget about Sam Bradford'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[wrapimg=right]http://i.imgur.com/6TUz97f.png[/wrapimg]Mike Sando
<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/103925/whitner-dont-forget-about-sam-bradford" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... m-bradford</a>

San Francisco 49ers safety Donte Whitner gave a revealing answer recently when asked how he's preparing to face NFC West quarterbacks such as Russell Wilson and Carson Palmer this season.

"Well, don't forget about Sam Bradford," Whitner said. "Sam Bradford had two excellent games against us, actually beat us once and tied us another time. That is a blemish that was on our record and he is going to be feeling good coming in against us this year."

Those were among the comments Whitner made to the UK-based Tuesday Morning Football podcast. Whitner and I participated in the podcast separately as the co-hosts, Will and James, demonstrated a strong grasp of the division. You can check out the full podcast .

As the chart shows, Bradford gave the 49ers more problems than Wilson gave them, at least overall. Wilson posted a 97.6 Total QBR score with four touchdown passes and a 115.3 NFL passer rating during a 42-13 victory over the 49ers in Week 16. That was a significant improvement from Week 7, when Wilson posted a 26.0 QBR score and 38.7 passer rating during a drop-filled game in which Seattle scored six points.

Bradford was very good during a 24-24 tie at San Francisco, passing for 275 yards with two touchdowns on his way to an 82.0 QBR score. He passed for 102 of those yards on third down. Bradford also played pretty well against the 49ers during a 16-13 victory in Week 13, albeit with less success on third down and without a touchdown pass.

Whitner continued with additional thoughts on Wilson.

"The majority of his damage that he did against us was broken-down plays where he dropped back, no guys were open and he used his legs and used his feet and guys are scrambling downfield, he's throwing the football," Whitner said. "We can't allow him to break contain, we can't allow him to run around and make time for guys to get open. Then we have to stop their running game."

Also from Whitner: Coach Jim Harbaugh, in an effort to encourage players to remain on their best behavior before training camp, held up a sign with a list of names before his 49ers broke from their final minicamp practice of the 2013 offseason.

"Coach Harbaugh put a list up of guys and offenses they had during that seven-week period when you're off, and you don't want to be on that list -- especially for a team that has high goals and aspirations like the San Francisco 49ers," Whitner said.

Not to worry, Cardinals fans. Your team's covered in this podcast, too.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Donte Whitner = smart man... :cool:

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Bradford Yards/rush 7.8
Wilson Yards/rush 4.3
I forget, which is supposed to be the mobile one? :sure:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
albefree69 said:
Bradford Yards/rush 7.8
Wilson Yards/rush 4.3
I forget, which is supposed to be the mobile one? :sure:

I don't dislike Wilson.

But I am sick of the hype that surrounds him and Kaeperdick. With so few games under their belt they have proved nothing.

It's all just hot air at this point.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i can't hate wilson at all. he's everything you want in a qb and he will be drew brees like except he can run a bit as well.

gonzo on the other hand is easy to dislike as he acts like a punk ass bitch. can't wait for the rams d to smack him around this season.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
kurtfaulk not yet recovered from his head injury:
i can't hate wilson at all. he's everything you want in a qb and he will be drew brees like except he can run a bit as well.

gonzo on the other hand is easy to dislike as he acts like a punk ass bitch. can't wait for the rams d to smack him around this season.

Sorry, but I can't wait for the Rams D to smack both of them around this season. :bign:

fearsomefour

Legend
The thing that jumps out to me looking at those stats is Wilsons yards per attempts being higher than Bradfords. I remember Martz saying he wanted his QBs to be close to or at 8 yards per attempt....that at 7 or higher you started seeing TD number going up. This would indicate, of course, more big yard plays. I think Wilson certainly had his rep and his numbers padded with some big plays last year. He is fun to watch. But, he is not an elite QB yet in my opinion....not close.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Yep, ask me in 3 more years and I'll tell you how good I think he is. He and kapernoodle shouldn't even be in the conversation when it comes to elite QBs IMO.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Russell Wilson is just another groupie in the media boner of QBs that can run.

Their all the same...Michael Vick, RG3, Russell Wilson...anyone who can run = auto hailed as elite.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
albefree69 said:
Yep, ask me in 3 more years and I'll tell you how good I think he is. He and kapernoodle shouldn't even be in the conversation when it comes to elite QBs IMO.

"kapernoodle"?

That's actually perfect :lmao:

I couldn't agree more, those guys seem to be on the right track, but it's way too early to "crown them"

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
CGI_Ram said:
nighttrain said:
forget who said it
I've seen a lot of young running QB's, but no old ones

\truth
train

Ken Stabler?
Fran Tarkenton
Jake the Snake
Mike Vick
Randall Cunningham?

They were kinda old.
And zero SB wins between them.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
X said:
CGI_Ram said:
nighttrain said:
forget who said it
I've seen a lot of young running QB's, but no old ones

\truth
train

Ken Stabler?
Fran Tarkenton
Jake the Snake
Mike Vick
Randall Cunningham?

They were kinda old.
And zero SB wins between them.

Exactly.

I think it was Ken Stabler who made that quote train put up.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
kurtfaulk said:

Well................we will see.

Part of one season does not a career make.

And no offense to you, but IMHO mentioning him in the same sentence as Brees, at this point in time anyway, is a huge insult to Brees.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rambitious1 said:
kurtfaulk said:

Well................we will see.

Part of one season does not a career make.

And no offense to you, but IMHO mentioning him in the same sentence as Brees, at this point in time anyway, is a huge insult to Brees.

i'm not saying he is anywhere near brees right now but in a couple of years he should be pretty close to that standard. the rams should still slap him around i think. ogletree was a big acquisition for the rams and will let fisher execute his gameplans much better. last year the rams d did well with what they had but with more explosive players on d now they should drive these running qb offenses batty - can't run and can't pass.