Whiners: Ranking Their 5 Biggest Rivals

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
<a class="postlink" href="http://goldengatesports.com/2013/06/08/san-francisco-49ers-ranking-their-five-biggest-rivals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://goldengatesports.com/2013/06/08/ ... st-rivals/</a>
San Francisco 49ers: Ranking Their Five Biggest Rivals
The San Francisco 49ers have a long history of memorable games against different teams, some of which can be considered to be bitter rivals.
One of the newest rivalries has taken its place among the best in the NFL. The 2012 season, along with this past offseason, has intensified the 49ers’ rivalry with the Seattle Seahawks.
This inspired me to rank the top five rivals for the 49ers:
1. Dallas Cowboys
Recent memory may not support the selection of the Cowboys as the top rivalry for the 49ers, but any longtime fan knows otherwise. Their most recent game was in 2011, when the Cowboys won a thriller in overtime thanks to a 77-yard catch and run by Jesse Holley. This resulted in the game-winning field goal.
There have been some very memorable games between the two teams, some of which resulted in a Super Bowl berth and eventual Super Bowl winner. The 49ers have faced the Cowboys 21 times since the 1980 season. Over this span, the 49ers have a 12-9 record.
Four of the 21 games were for the NFC Championship. The 49ers won 38-28 in 1994, as they went on to win the Super Bowl that year. They also won the 1981 NFC Championship game thanks to a play that many refer to as “The Catch.”

The Cowboys won two games as well. The first was after the 1992 season while the second was the following year, after the 1993 season. This rivalry gets the #1 vote because it has resulted in four Super Bowl championships.

2. Green Bay Packers
The 1990s saw a number of battles between the 49ers and Packers. This is one rivalry that has been dominated by the opposition, as the Packers have won 13 out of the 17 matchups in the 90s.
The most memorable game would have to be the Wild Card game following the 1998 season. A quiet receiver named Terrell Owens made a tough catch in traffic to seal the win for the 49ers. Many called this play “The Catch Part II,” and this play spawned the transformation of Terrell Owens into TO.

Colin Kaepernick set a record for yards rushing in a playoff game by a quarterback, as he ran for 181 yards last year against the Packers.
Those are the good memories.
The Packers won a divisional playoff match between the two teams after the 1996 season, and they went on to win the Super Bowl that year. The following year, Antonio Freeman played a big factor in the Packers winning the only NFC Championship game between the two teams.
This rivalry will get back underway when the 2013 season opens as the Packers will travel to San Francisco for the final season opener at Candlestick Park. This is a rivalry that will continue to have an impact on the NFC thanks to the proven play of Aaron Rodgers and the upstart play of Kaepernick.

3. Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams
The 49ers have dominated this rivalry, which is one that has been a divisional one for years now. One of their games was in the 1989 NFC Championship game. The 49ers won 30-3 and went on to win the second of their back-to-back Super Bowl championships.
The rivalry was fueled by inter-state bragging rights and some thought that it would weaken once the Rams moved to St. Louis.
One of the 49ers prominent players in the 1980s stated just the opposite in a book called Tales From the 49ers Sideline.
Roger Craig said, “The Rams will always be the 49ers’ biggest rival. It doesn’t matter if they no longer play in Los Angeles. If the Rams played their home games on Mars, it would still be a rivalry.”

4. Seattle Seahawks
This is the best rivalry in the NFL right now. Both of these teams have risen to the top in many statistical categories, and both are winning games. These teams are expected to go far in the playoffs, and it wouldn’t be a surprise if either of them won the Super Bowl this year.
Believe it or not, none of these face-offs involved a playoff game. Both teams are 14 – 14 in their series. Kaeprnick and Russell Wilson will surely continue to make this matchup one the best the league has to offer.

5. Los Angeles/Oakland Raiders
The Raiders make this list just based off of their proximity to the 49ers. The result from this rivalry is city bragging rights. The last game, a preseason matchup resulted in fights in the stadiums, as well as on the field.
It got so bad that the annual preseason games were done away with due to the fan violence.
Honorable Mention:
The New York Giants are certainly worthy of being mentioned as a top rival for the 49ers. There have been some great games between these teams. Three games standout in their history. The 1990 NFC Championship game was won by the Giants when Roger Craig fumbled and the Giants were able to kick the game winning field goal. That play put an end to the 49ers’ legitimate shot at winning an unprecedented three straight Super Bowls.
Another game was the Wild Card game that followed the 2002 season. The 49ers were able to come back from a 24 point deficit and win the game 39 – 38.
Who can forget the NFC Championsip game following the 2011 season. The Giants pulled off the upset thanks to a couple of fumbles by the 49ers on special teams along with their inability to convert third downs. They were 1-for-13 on third down conversion opportunities. These two teams have played 26 times since 1980 and the 49ers have won 16 of them.

This is missing three videos which can be seen at the link.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Hmmmm 4whiners dominated the rivalry with the Rams. 62-62-3 - Yeah... they dominated. :roll:

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
"The 49ers have dominated this rivalry"

I don't know how anyone can say the whiners have dominated the rivalry with us having a 62-62-3 record against them.

yes they beat us 17 straight times in the 90's while the Rams were in the gutter, but that doesnt mean they dominated the rivalry over the past 60+ years.

As for the Whiners/seahags rivalry, that will die down as fast as it started once one of them fall from grace and back to reality.

If anything, this last year proved our rivalry with the whiners is very much alive, going 1-0-1 against them and into overtime each time. The only thing that woulda made it better is meeting them in the post season.

As the record indicates, this rivalry is stronger then ever due to it being a complete tie now.

The real rankings should go:

1. Rams
2. Faiders/Cowpokes
4. Packers
5. Seahags(for this last year only)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Their biggest rivals according to the author.

Poll every 49er for the past 3 decades and see what you come up with.
Chop chop.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
RamFan503 said:
Hmmmm 4whiners dominated the rivalry with the Rams. 62-62-3 - Yeah... they dominated. :roll:
Yeah,exactly. 100% hogwash.

I wouldn't use this sig if they'd "dominated" the all time series.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
mojorizen7 said:
RamFan503 said:
Yeah,exactly. 100% hogwash.

I wouldn't use this sig if they'd "dominated" the all time series.
Dominated shmominated.

1 Kudo for being the first person ever (probably) to say "Shmominated." :star:

So they beat us 17 games straight when we sucked. That's nearly 9 years, yeah? So what happened the previous years? We were laying the smack down on them for decades. Then we flipped the tables over on them from 99-2001. 2002 we split. 2003 we split. 2004 we won both. 2005 they won both. 2006 we split. 2007 we split. 2008 they won both. 2009 they won both. 2010 we split. 2011 they won both. Last year they won shit. Now it's our turn again. Get used to that ONE tie you had last year, because that's the closest you're gonna get to a win against the Rams for another decade.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Not only do we do we have 99-2001, but man look at the 1970's......in the course of winning 7 division championships in a row, we smashed the niners early and often.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Rambitious1 said:
Not only do we do we have 99-2001, but man look at the 1970's......in the course of winning 7 division championships in a row, we smashed the niners early and often.
The niners were pretty good in the early 70's, but we still swept them--even Prothro's Rams. Then they became a joke until Walsh arrived. Well, not Walsh's first season.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
I'd rather beat the Patriots than the 9ers. Just sayin'.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
ScotsRam showing the common sense of a Scotsman:
I'd rather beat the Patriots than the 9ers. Just sayin'.
:plus1:
Follows right along with our "most hated" thread.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
If I had to choose between beating the Cheatriots and the Whiners who would I choose? Cheatriots hand down because Billicheat is still there. Once he leaves this will go back to the Whiners by default.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Is it just me or is this kind of shoddy journalism taking over sports reporting? Sometimes I almost feel like taking a red pen and grading stuff and then sendingit back to Some of these guys. This would earn a C minus.

The dominated the rivaly remark aside.....though that is a great example of poor writing.....unless I'm wrong this rivaly got intense over the years not because of bragging rights for the state but because it used to be that one of them was going to the playoffs and the other was staying home because there was no wild card. And even when there was it was still the same thing. They developed a rivalry because of playoff positioning wouldn't you say?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
LesBaker said:
Is it just me or is this kind of shoddy journalism taking over sports reporting? Sometimes I almost feel like taking a red pen and grading stuff and then sendingit back to Some of these guys. This would earn a C minus.

Everyone with a laptop and access to the internet can be a published writer these days.

I think of myself as one, actually, here at ROD...

Thanks for reading!

:lmao:

In all seriousness, I agree with you. Far too many un-researched opinions on the web.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
LesBaker wrote:

The dominated the rivaly remark aside.....though that is a great example of poor writing.....unless I'm wrong this rivaly got intense over the years not because of bragging rights for the state but because it used to be that one of them was going to the playoffs and the other was staying home because there was no wild card. And even when there was it was still the same thing. They developed a rivalry because of playoff positioning wouldn't you say?

For sure! Not only do they totally skimp on their research, they don't even edit what they write to correct the bad grammar and spelling. Don't they have spell checker for christ sakes? They act like they're just writing a post for a forum in their car with a tablet. What's that say about their drive for excellence? They sure expect the players to strive for it. :rules:

EDIT:I hear you CGI. We're not professionals and we're not getting paid. Plus some of us are actually writing posts in our car with a tablet. :lol:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
albefree69 said:
Plus some of us are actually writing posts in our car with a tablet. :lol:

AND... driving at the same time!!? :lmao:

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Not so sure I'd file this under "journalism"

Niner fan (the author) was actually called on the overall record between the two (in the comments) and quickly dismissed the reply with the back peddle of "I was basically referring from the 80's on" or words to that effect.

Well then I guess that would explain the "dominated" thing...in his skewed mind.

Just one sad sack 49rs fan opinion this lame article is. (been watching Star Wars)

Would love to have this guy to kick around for the next few yrs, they don't even know what's coming yet.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
OC--LeftCoast said:

Niner fan (the author) was actually called on the overall record between the two (in the comments) and quickly dismissed the reply with the back peddle of "I was basically referring from the 80's on" or words to that effect.

Well then I guess that would explain the "dominated" thing...in his skewed mind.

Just one sad sack 49rs fan opinion this lame article is. (been watching Star Wars)

Would love to have this guy to kick around for the next few yrs, they don't even know what's coming yet.

Yeah when the Rams are playing Whack-a-Mole with the NFC West lets see what the guy has to say.

And if he was referring to the 80s mostly then why does he reference so many 90s and later games?

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
LesBaker said:
OC--LeftCoast said:

Yeah when the Rams are playing Whack-a-Mole with the NFC West lets see what the guy has to say.

And if he was referring to the 80s mostly then why does he reference so many 90s and later games?

Add me to the "hack" writer category, I should have stated "since" the 80's. (I get your point about the 90's references tho)

This author doesn't want to hear about what happened pre80's between these the two, and I can't say I blame him :lol:

nittany ram

Rookie
OC--LeftCoast said:

The collective memory of 49'er fans begins in 1980. They barely acknowledge there was an NFL prior to that year.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
nittany ram said:
OC--LeftCoast said:

The collective memory of 49'er fans begins in 1980. They barely acknowledge there was an NFL prior to that year.
Damn right. Hooked on ESPN Classics.