While Mason flourishes, Stacy disappears--PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
While Mason flourishes, Stacy disappears
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_b862b23d-646e-5771-a3f0-1cb2980345bc.html

A week ago during his regular Thursday media session, offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said the Rams were going to give all their running backs some touches in the early going against Seattle, and then go with the hot hand.

Turns out, Tre Mason got the hot hand early. Very early.

“I think he did,” Schottenheimer said. “We all know about his talent. We still need them all. They’re all good players; they’ll all have roles for us.”

The Rams’ running backs situation has been a minefield for fantasy football players this season. It has reached the point where from week to week it has been difficult to determine who’s doing what.

At the start of the season, Zac Stacy was getting about two-thirds of the reps, with Benny Cunningham getting one-third. Then Cunningham started cutting into Stacy’s reps a bit. And now, after being inactive for the first four games of the season, rookie Mason has burst onto the scene beginning with the Monday night game against San Francisco.

Another rookie, undrafted Trey Watts, was sprinkled into the backfield for a couple of games earlier in the season. If that weren’t enough, you may have noticed that wide receiver Tavon Austin is getting some work at running back as well. Austin, in fact, had a season-high five carries Sunday against Seattle.

Almost lost in all that transpired in the 28-26 upset victory over the Seahawks was the fact that Cunningham made his first NFL start. So all in all, the Rams are taking the old running-back-by-committee thing to new heights.

“I think that’s kind of good for us,” Schottenheimer said. “For a defense not to know who they’ve got to prepare for. To know that at any moment it might be a different guy out there.”

Of course the most surprising thing that happened Sunday in the backfield wasn’t Cunningham’s start. Or the fact that Mason, the third-rounder from Auburn, broke out for 85 yards on 18 carries, including his first NFL touchdown.

No, that distinction goes to Stacy, who was on the field for only one play and had zero touches.

“It was just a weird situation,” Stacy told the Post-Dispatch. “Right now, we’re doing a rotation with me, Tre, and Benny — and we’re going with the hot hand. I’m just staying positive, I’ll keep working, and whenever my opportunity is called just take advantage of it.”

As a rookie last season, Stacy basically saved the Rams’ running game. After carrying just once for four yards over the first four games of 2013, he piled up 969 yards in the final 12 contests with his no-nonsense, between-the-tackles style.

Stacy got off to a decent start this season, but similar to the situation at wide receiver, the competition has been keen at running back. Stacy showed up on the injury list during the week of preparation for San Francisco (calf) and Seattle (ankle), but didn’t miss much practice time either week.

Is he healthy now?

“Absolutely,” Stacy said. “I feel good. Just little nicks and bruises that most running backs go through, especially around this time of the season. But I’m good to go; ready to roll.”

Running backs coach Ben Sirmans told his group that Cunningham would be starting the night before the Seattle game. But no one knew how the reps would be divided. The flow of the game and the “hot hand” approach determined that.

Stacy certainly didn’t know his role would be so limited.

“It was somewhat surprising,” Stacy said. “But at the end of the day, I was prepared mentally and prepared physically. And if my name was called I was ready to go.”

Schottenheimer said: “It wasn’t what we planned at all. It just kind of goes back to the thought of we got going a little bit and Tre was playing really, really well.

“Zac’s a really good running back. He’s going to help us this game — in a lot of games. He handled it like a pro and the main thing is we want to win. Whatever it takes to win, we’ll do.”

On Monday, coach Jeff Fisher went as far as saying Stacy could have 25 carries this week in Kansas City. That may be an exaggeration, but the backfield does remain in a state of flux.

There was a new wrinkle Thursday when Cunningham was a limited participant in practice because of a knee issue. (He did seem to be moving well.)

Most likely, Mason will be given every opportunity to develop a hot hand vs. the Chiefs after his eye-opening display against Seattle. He brings a speed element and a higher potential for the explosive play than Stacy and Cunningham.

“(Mason) certainly played well last week,” Schottenheimer said. “Popped a couple big runs. Some of it is that they haven’t seen him. Now teams get a better idea of what he’s about.

“I think there’s some things he needs to do, taking care of the football. Obviously that last play was a little scary, but wow, what a talented young man.”

Mason said he was trying to “put the nail in the coffin” on his third-down run at the end of the Seattle game that ended with a fumble and wild scramble for the ball. As a result, he almost put the nail in the Rams’ coffin.

INJURY UPDATE

Safety T.J. McDonald passed concussion protocol and returned to practice Thursday. RG Rodger Saffold (knee), WR Kenny Britt (ankle) and DE William Hayes also returned to practice after missing Wednesday’s work. But CB Janoris Jenkins (knee) remains sidelined.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
20+ carries for Mason will = win. IMO. There is no way the Chiefs shut down Mason behind this OL, not without opening things up for Davis who will riddle them in the passing game.

Mason is poised for a HUGE game.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
20+ carries for Mason will = win. IMO. There is no way the Chiefs shut down Mason behind this OL, not without opening things up for Davis who will riddle them in the passing game.

Mason is poised for a HUGE game.
I think the entire Team is Poised for a Huge game, on both sides of the ball!!;)

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
We have three starting runningbacks. Let that sink in for a second. Also, people complaining about Tavon getting runs up the middle. That little dude might be the toughest guy on the team. I bet he's the feature back at least once this season. He's durable as all hell.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Idk dude, you see pop up from some of the hits he takes? He's not a pussy, that's for sure.

You can be the toughest SOB in the league and still get hurt. Thus far he's not proven to be durable.

Hopefully he can play out the season because he needs the snaps.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
On one hand it is sad too see, especially considering what he did and meant to this team last season. But on the other you have to be excited for this team, we have 3 starting backs+ Tavon Austin + Trey Watts. From what I've seen I like Watts, he could be a great weapon also. It also doesn't mean the end of Stacy, it could possibly benefit him. Less injuries, weaker defenses, fresher legs. I think this all but ends Pead's career with the Rams.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
You can be the toughest SOB in the league and still get hurt. Thus far he's not proven to be durable.

True, but both of his injuries were leg related and awkward. It's not like when Desean Jackson or Percy Harvin get hit too hard and are out for 3 weeks with little girl syndrome.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Leave it to the PD to twist a potential positive (having the luxury of good RB depth...ask Carolina if they want what we got) into a negative. In a state of flux? Really? More like Rams have at least 3 effective backs that all have unique skill sets. Ohh the humanity!

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Leave it to the PD to twist a potential positive (having the luxury of good RB depth...ask Carolina if they want what we got) into a negative. In a state of flux? Really? More like Rams have at least 3 effective backs that all have unique skill sets. Ohh the humanity!

Absolutely, PD is a bunch of gloomers just like their board.

Mason was the hot hand, he's the most gifted with the ball in his hand, and he's gonna be our starter sooner than later. He has more burste than Stacy, some snaky wiggle in the gap, and consistently finishes his runs with a WHOP!

He is the answer on running downs.

Plus his vision is really good.

I wanted him pretty bad coming out of college. I knew I wanted him in the third when his but didn't think they would. It was actually the pick I was most excited about because I didn't think it would happen.

Mason is my starter, for sure. He will lead the charge just like at Aurburn. Robinson, too, for that matter. You can see that connection on the field. Mason knows exactly how to utilize Robinson lol

RamzFanz

Damnit
We have three starting runningbacks. Let that sink in for a second. Also, people complaining about Tavon getting runs up the middle. That little dude might be the toughest guy on the team. I bet he's the feature back at least once this season. He's durable as all hell.

Running TA up the middle is a massive waste and huge risk. TA crushes in the open field. It's not that he hasn't produced up the middle, but at what cost? Was he better than TM or ZS or BC? Should they risk injury on such a small guy when they have other options? Why can't Schotty call plays that are TA designed? I watch other teams call plays for players like TA and think, why can't the Rams do that?

I would rather never see TA take a handoff than see him up the middle. It's mindless.

I am giving Schotty props this season, he has called some good games compared to his past nonsense, but his use of TA is like he has no idea who the kid is or what he is capable of.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think the runs up the middle for Tavon are just a setup.

They want the league to see that when Tavon is in the tailback position, it's always a run up the middle, every single time.
And then one day it won't be.
Touchdown, Rams!

jjab360

Legend

Yeah, I'd say he's tough but hard to call someone who's been injured twice so far in two and a half seasons durable.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Exactly. They decide to rest Zac because they have the depth to do it and Thomas has to write an article insinuating turmoil. What a douche.

SyncMaster

UDFA
We are talking about a RB who has barely started 16 game. Is it even possible for someone to appear and disappear in that short of a time span?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Tre Mason is a young 21yrs old. Stacy is 23.

It's sooo friggin nice to have young legs in the backfield. Both are capable of doing it full time.

Same with Cunningham, who is 24.

The Rams have built a nice backfield!