Whicker: Wade Phillips brings decades of expertise to Rams defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

ol6wz5-b88894378z.120170210191146000g7lljfdq.10.jpg

You've got to pick up things quick in this league,' new Rams defensive coordinator Wade Phillips said. ‘We're going to attack. We're coming after you. We've been doing this a long time, and we've got a system of teaching that's been successful.' (AP Photo/Darron Cummings)

Wade Phillips brings decades of expertise to Rams defense

By MARK WHICKER / STAFF COLUMNIST

THOUSAND OAKS – The Rams hired Wade Phillips, the NFL’s preeminent fireman.

But at first glance, nothing’s burning.

“Usually you get hired as a defensive coordinator because it’s a bad defense,” Phillips said Monday. “But that really hasn’t been the case in my last couple of jobs, and it’s not the case here.”

But you could always use a new inspector, a fresh set of eyes and ears. Phillips, 69, is here to sniff out what’s wrong behind the walls. Maybe it’s one of those invisible alcohol fires that you once saw at the Indianapolis 500, when crew members would start jumping around unaccountably.

The defense wasn’t the problem in the 4-12 nightmare of 2016. But the Rams needed it to be the solution. It was ninth in yards allowed and yards per play, and also ninth in third-down conversion.

It was 24th in sacks, 23rd in interceptions, 19th in fumbles recovered and 22nd in fumbles forced.

So it might not be a four-alarm situation, but it needs extinguishing.

“You’ve got to pick up things quick in this league,” Phillips said. “We’re going to attack. We’re coming after you. We’ve been doing this a long time, and we’ve got a system of teaching that’s been successful.”

Denver won the Super Bowl, 53 weeks ago, as Phillips’ defense laid waste to Carolina’s Cam Newton (18 for 41 passing, six sacks and an interception). In 2016 the defense remained sound, despite injuries, but the offense sputtered and the Broncos missed the playoffs.

When Coach Gary Kubiak resigned, Phillips left for the Rams, amid talk that he had fomented offense-vs.-defense discord in the locker room. Guard Max Garcia dismissed the report as “alternative facts.”

One L.A. bonus is the opportunity for Wade to be near daughter Tracy, who is a choreographer and actress, appearing in “Charlie Wilson’s War” and “Water for Elephants.”

This is Phillips’ eighth stop as a coordinator. In each case, the club gave up fewer points than it had the year before. In five cases, it gave up more than 100 fewer points than the year before.

Houston went from 427 to 278 between 2010 and 2011. San Diego went from 441 points to 313 between 2003 and 2004, and therefore went from 4-12 to 12-4.

“He puts you in a position where you can be successful,” said Chris Draft, who went from Valencia High in Placentia to Stanford and then played 12 seasons as an NFL linebacker, crossing paths with Phillips in Atlanta.

“But the best thing about him is how he connects with his players. When I moved on to other teams and I’d play his team, I’d always see him outside the locker room afterward, and he’d come over and see how I was doing. That’s what you remember about people in this business.”

Phillips said he fits his defense to the players, but only to a point. He says if Aaron Donald doesn’t suit your system, then the system isn’t working. However, the Rams will shift from a 4-3 to a 3-4. Theoretically that means William Hayes and/or Robert Quinn could play off the edge in a stand-up position, or Michael Brockers could do more time on the nose.

“This has happened a few times, where I’ll take over a 4-3 and go to a 3-4,” Phillips said. “But the 3-4 is better. You’re normally bringing four pass rushers. In a 4-3, that means all the linemen. In a 3-4, that’s three linemen plus a linebacker, but you don’t know which linebacker is coming. That causes some confusion and gives the defensive backs a better chance. Nowadays it’s all about stopping the passing game.

“We’ve led the league playing all zone, or all man. I prefer man because it’s harder to throw against it for a good percentage. But we also play a lot of matchup zone, which looks like something it’s not.”

Phillips’ dad, Bum, wore a cowboy hat and boots on the sideline, and was one of the NFL’s top characters and coaches. He took the Houston Oilers to within a whisker of two AFC championships against the powerful Pittsburgh Steelers. He admired Don Shula because “he can take his’n and beat your’n, and then he can take your’n and beat his’n.”

Wade joined his father’s staff in New Orleans when he was 27. Now his boss is Sean McVay, 31.

Last week he analyzed his generation gap with McVay, via Twitter: “I’m on Medicare and he’s on daycare.”

He smiled and said, “I’ll take credit for that one.”

Pause.

“But I did ask him before I sent it out.”

Ounce of prevention, you know.

[www.ocregister.com]

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I really liked Gregg Williams and I know some differed, however, I realized that there were so many teams with Defensive Coordinators that could not hold a candle to Williams IMHO, however, Wade Phillips is the best Defensive Coordinator in the NFL so with an offensive coach I felt this are will be a downgrade in both achievements and experience, however, it's an upgrade.

The rest of the defensive staff we shall see how it works out I really liked Mike Wauffle the defensive line coach and although new DL Coach Bill Johnson is quite a character calling L.A. "Little Arkansas" because he's never been out of the south, IMHO, Wauffle was superior and although Linebackers Coach Joe Barry moves back to being a position coach IMO, Frank Bush was a very good position coach last season.

As to the secondary it's a wash as former Cornerback coach Dennard Wilson moves on to the Jets, but is replaced by an up and comer in Aubrey Pleasant and Brandon Fisher (Safeties) is replaced by a less experienced Ejiro Evero from Green Bay and although I am a fan of alliteration I felt that Fisher was a very good Safety coach.

Overall Wade himself makes this a better defense and adding another young assistant with lineage like Chris Shula should help, but I'm anxious to see how this defensive staff handles free agency and whether they decide to keep Trumaine Johnson or sign somebody else.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We'll see if the 3-4 is better...I am a tradition 4-3 guy and the Rams have been that since I have been alive (60's). Maybe we something new I guess...

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
We'll see if the 3-4 is better...I am a tradition 4-3 guy and the Rams have been that since I have been alive (60's). Maybe we something new I guess...

Rams ran the 3-4 under John Robinson & Fritz Shurmur in the 80's and had some outstanding defenses especially in 85 & 89 so there has been some success with the likes of Kevin Greene & Mike Wilcher (the guy who replaced Lawrence Taylor at North Carolina) manning the outside linebacker positions.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams ran the 3-4 under John Robinson & Fritz Shurmur in the 80's and had some outstanding defenses especially in 85 & 89 so there has been some success with the likes of Kevin Greene & Mike Wilcher (the guy who replaced Lawrence Taylor at North Carolina) manning the outside linebacker positions.
That may be..I was in the Navy in those years, and only heard about the Rams most of those years, through out of town sports page blurbs (tucked in between soccer scores and Curling Invitationals...)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I am a fan of Gregg Williams and wish him success.

But...

I prefer man because it’s harder to throw against it for a good percentage.

I like this approach. And Phillips plans to run some zone to change his looks.

The Rams (under Fisher and Williams) would concede the short completions with the belief that statistically an error would occur in time. They also didn't concern themselves with yardage allowed.

What I don't like about this approach, even when working, it doesn't account for the game momentum given to the opponent as they move the ball.

Phillips approach should lead to more 3 and out and the opportunity to own rhythm.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Well .. I'll go this far .. I'm not as afraid of the change from 4-3 to 3-4 as I was before reading this^ piece!(y);):LOL: Actually I'm pumped, and can't wait to see what the Phillips "D" looks like! My guess is Quinn will be the OLB to watch-out-for next year!!:D

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
That may be..I was in the Navy in those years, and only heard about the Rams most of those years, through out of town sports page blurbs (tucked in between soccer scores and Curling Invitationals...)

Funny was in the Air Force those years myself (84-90), however, was stationed in Dayton, Ohio and actually watched more Rams football there, then I did in New York so those 80's teams had some great talent and Shurmur was one heck of a DC, just always seem to come up short in one way or another.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I think the 3-4 gives you more opportunities with the right personel. I am Looking forward to seeing it.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Funny was in the Air Force those years myself (84-90), however, was stationed in Dayton, Ohio and actually watched more Rams football there, then I did in New York so those 80's teams had some great talent and Shurmur was one heck of a DC, just always seem to come up short in one way or another.

Well, you air-boys probably got your own apartment, company car, and a massive Curtis Mathis TV!....I had my little rack, in the middle of a three-high stack, haze gray, and underway! But hey, we had chicks in every port....:rockon:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Did you serve on a submarine, or were you on a target?

:LOL:

Last edited:

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm more excited about Brockers in the 3-4 playing on the nose with his strength and athleticism. I see him getting 6 sacks and making the pro bowl. This defense is going to get sacks top 5.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Naw, I was on a sub killer..DD-992!:rockon:

All you guys could probably find is some old Soviet Type I nuke, which was described to me once as sounding like "two skeletons f--king in a trash can"!

You didn't find us :ROFLMAO:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
My nephew is a CPO on the SSN-767, USS Hampton out of Point Loma. Never could understand being a squid.:redcard:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My nephew is a CPO on the SSN-767, USS Hampton out of Point Loma. Never could understand being a squid.:redcard:
HEY!:lifting:

I used to work at a R & D center on Point Loma, called NOSC..Don't know if it exists anymore...

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All you guys could probably find is some old Soviet Type I nuke, which was described to me once as sounding like "two skeletons f--king in a trash can"!

You didn't find us :ROFLMAO:
We were so good we could not only "listen" to your noisy azz at sea, we could also listen to flea copulation in Nebraska...Tom Clancy wanted to write novels about Spruance Class Destroyers, but that might have got him deep-six'd by NIS! So he wrote about boring subs...:owned::rockon:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
We were so good we could not only "listen" to your noisy azz at sea, we could also listen to flea copulation in Nebraska...Tom Clancy wanted to write novels about Spruance Class Destroyers, but that might have got him deep-six'd by NIS! So he wrote about boring subs...:owned::rockon:

Not a 688 you couldn't :effemine: