Whicker: Rams starting to grow confidence in QB Case Keenum

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Whicker: Rams starting to grow confidence in QB Case Keenum

By MARK WHICKER / STAFF COLUMNIST

GLENDALE, Ariz – . In the third quarter Case Keenum saw daylight, even indoors. He ran through the bad-intentioned Cardinals for 27 yards, and a first down on the Arizona eight.

Hold everything. Penalty on Rams’ tackle Greg Robinson, for holding.

In the fourth quarter Keenum felt the ceiling descending on him, and he took off, stutter-stepped, doubled back, kept hoofing, and lobbed a 27-yarder to Lance Kendricks that took the ball to the Arizona 12 and put a broad smile on the face of Fran Tarkenton, wherever he was watching.

Hold everything. Penalty on Rams’ tackle Greg Robinson, illegal receiver downfield.

“I was out of breath when I was calling the next play,” Keenum said. “I felt kinda foolish, running back 40 yards to where it started.”

Somewhere between those two forfeited moments, and the end of the Rams’ 17-13 win over the Cardinals on Sunday, you remembered what everybody said. Keenum is basically part of the Rams’ ride-along program, carried by the defense and Todd Gurley.

But your eyes are telling you different. The Rams are not succeeding in spite of Keenum. At times, it’s the reverse.

Keenum had a 111.2 quarterback rating Sunday, which is Rodgers/Brady territory. He hit 18 of 30 passes with no interceptions, although he flirted with a couple. He threw erratically to Tavon Austin on one play and then drilled a pass between two Cardinals to Brian Quick, and when those Cardinals lost their footing Quick went 65 yards for the first touchdown.

He has thrown one interception in the three-game win streak. He might not be a master but he acts like a Commode, and the Rams are 3-1. They were 3-2 when he started last year.

“He wants to make a play,” defensive tackle Michael Brockers said. “It’s the confidence and the trust we have in him. On some of those plays, we’re saying, ‘Hey, Case, what are you doing?’ But he keeps his eyes downfield and looks for that big bomb. That’s what we appreciate about him.”

The Rams still won, and have to win, in grinding, NFC West fashion. They had three interceptions, two fumble recoveries, three sacks and four tackles for loss. Aaron Donald and Eugene Sims knocked Carson Palmer out of the game. Larry Fitzgerald had only one catch.

Not until Austin exploited Bradley Marquez’s block and jumped out for a 47-yard punt return, with a face mask penalty thrown in, did Keenum get close enough for the winning score. That was a four-yard strike to Quick, after he had thrown to Gurley for a first down.

“The trust in Case has been there,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. “He’s really good in the huddlle. He overcomes tough situations. He’s reckless, but he’s fun.”

The game falls to Keenum because NFL defenses continue their obsession with Gurley. He squeaked out 1.7 yards per carry on Sunday. He was averaging 2.8 before Sunday. The Rams are putting him wide more often, but they will continue to butt their heads, or his, against that wall until something breaks.

“We felt that if we were handing the ball off to Todd in the fourth quarter we’d be in good shape,” Fisher said.

But Keenum came up with three pass plays of 30 or more yards on Sunday, and that’s with a couple of dropped balls, and those two buzz-killers by Robinson.

“I can think of at least three passes I’d like to have back,” said Keenum, who was also thinking of the Rams’ failure to get any points off those five takeaways.

“We were realy close on some of those explosive plays after we faked to Todd. There’s a lot of offense out there. I took a sack (and fumbled) one time, with too many hitches. I need to let the ball go there. The chemistry isn’t perfect, but we’re getting there. You have to win close games in this league to be successful.”

The Rams beat Seattle by six, Tampa Bay by five, and Arizona by four. Next week they play host to Buffalo, who won a shutout in New England Sunday.

“In our recent history, once we get on a high, that next game is really not there for us,” Brockers said. “We have to make sure that changes.”

As Carson Wentz, Trevor Siemian, Dak Prescott and Jimmy Garoppolo have thrived to various degrees, the NFL intelligentsia continues to wonder when the Rams will remove the bubble wrap from Jared Goff. But with each week and with each win, they should notice why Goff isn’t playing quarterback for the Rams. There isn’t a vacancy.

-- [www.ocregister.com]

…..

Legend
Oh no......a Keenum article is basically fuel for the fire around here....

So lets focus on Buffalo.

“In our recent history, once we get on a high, that next game is really not there for us,” Brockers said. “We have to make sure that changes.”

Who is higher.....us, or Buffalo, who rode the Rex wagon into Foxboro and shut out the Pats at home. It was the Patriots first shutout at home in 24 YEARS and we all know Rex's success is self measure on victories over the Patriots.

My take is we are catching Buffalo at the right time.

jjab360

Legend
The Rams didn't win this game in spite of Case Keenum... they won because of him.

Let's just say it, despite only scoring 17 points due to a nonexistent run game, Keenum was borderline brilliant this game and came through time and time again. If Keenum keeps playing like this, Goff is just going to have to wait until either Keenum gets hurt or Goff plays like a god in practice.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
He doesn't have much of an arm, but he can move around a little bit, and just seems to do what it takes to win. He reminds me a bit of Jeff Garcia, more than a Drew Brees.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He doesn't have much of an arm, but he can move around a little bit, and just seems to do what it takes to win. He reminds me a bit of Jeff Garcia, more than a Drew Brees.
One thing he has, is guts. Dude will put up the ball with that arm..He will risk his body running for a first down, when necessary. For the Rams, he's a winner. I can't wait to see Jared, at the right time. Now is not that time.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
One thing he has, is guts. Dude will put up the ball with that arm..He will risk his body running for a first down, when necessary. For the Rams, he's a winner. I can't wait to see Jared, at the right time. Now is not that time.
He won me over today with his grit. Sure, he had 3 or 4 ugly throws but he also created and that run that was called back because of a weak weak holding call was a beauty. Then the scramble and finding Kendricks was outstanding although #73 found a way to draw a flag, although again, it didn't look like Robinson was very far downfield.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
not gonna lie i cussed case so bad when he missed Tavon it would have made a sailor blush ...not gonna lie i felt stupid after he hit quick ...

anyone buying it was my cussing that help .....anybody ??

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I felt bad for Robinson on the ineligible receiver downfield thing. It looked at one point like Keenum was gonna take off on a scramble again so he was just getting out in front to block.

Everyone is talking about the run game being shut down but sooner or later teams are gonna have to respect Keenum and the passing game more (as much as it might pain them to do so).

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Oh no......a Keenum article is basically fuel for the fire around here....

So lets focus on Buffalo.

Who is higher.....us, or Buffalo, who rode the Rex wagon into Foxboro and shut out the Pats at home. It was the Patriots first shutout at home in 24 YEARS and we all know Rex's success is self measure on victories over the Patriots.

My take is we are catching Buffalo at the right time.

I'd like a nice comfortable win that doesn't come down to the very last play of the game like it has these last two weeks. My nerves can't take much more of this.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
I felt bad for Robinson on the ineligible receiver downfield thing. It looked at one point like Keenum was gonna take off on a scramble again so he was just getting out in front to block.

Case had 2 absolutely balls-out plays yesterday -- that mad scramble and that 20+ yard run. And both of those plays were wiped away, thanks to a G-Rob penalty. G-Rob had better buy Case something nice this week, as atonement (and pay extra for the happy ending).

jap

Legend

Everyone is talking about the run game being shut down but sooner or later teams are gonna have to respect Keenum and the passing game more (as much as it might pain them to do so).

The running game is shut down because teams are sending more defenders than we have blockers. However, as Case and the team learns to exploit all the opportunities the extra attention on Todd is providing, this offense will start to come up with solid (i.e., non-Cardiac Kids-esque) wins. As the defenses adjust for Case's growing success as a game manager, the Express! will stop sputtering and start to roll, then rumble, then begin to flat out thunder down those tracks.