Which year had best Rams O line ever? (from 1970 to now)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I go with the 1979 or the 1980 Line. This line is compareable to the CHiefs 2003-2006 O line.

Ferragamo threw 30 TD's in 15 games in 1980. And, at that time the Rams had the most yards in NFL history a season rushing the ball---(16 games vs 14 games in pre 1977?)

Ferragamo had 'ok' WR's....Dennard was pretty good, but maybe a #3 on many teams. Ron Jessie was good but was injured and caught only 15 balls total in those two years. Billy Waddy was 'nothing', though a great athelete, hardly a football player. THE LINE made everything go!

LT-France- great talent with 2 pro bowls (reminds of Roaf)
LG- Kent Hill-5 pro bowls
C-Rich Saul-Many pro bowls
RG- Harrah-How many pro bowls
RT- Slater-HOF

The 1999-2001 lines were great pass blockers, but the interior was not capable of power blocking...and Marshall had 15 yards rushing in Super bowl 34....enough said.

mikeyboy

UDFA
I go with the 1979 or the 1980 Line. This line is compareable to the CHiefs 2003-2006 O line.

Ferragamo threw 30 TD's in 15 games in 1980. And, at that time the Rams had the most yards in NFL history a season rushing the ball---(16 games vs 14 games in pre 1977?)

Ferragamo had 'ok' WR's....Dennard was pretty good, but maybe a #3 on many teams. Ron Jessie was good but was injured and caught only 15 balls total in those two years. Billy Waddy was 'nothing', though a great athelete, hardly a football player. THE LINE made everything go!

LT-France- great talent with 2 pro bowls (reminds of Roaf)
LG- Kent Hill-5 pro bowls
C-Rich Saul-Many pro bowls
RG- Harrah-How many pro bowls
RT- Slater-HOF

The 1999-2001 lines were great pass blockers, but the interior was not capable of power blocking...and Marshall had 15 yards rushing in Super bowl 34....enough said.

FRO

Legend
I was born in 87'. I won't be able to add much to this debate. The 99'-01' lines were probably the best I've seen us have.

SierraRam

Recreational User
1980 is tough to beat but other notables include:

1975 Rams / 12-2 / 2300+ yards rushing / Tough, Veteran group under "Ground" Chuck Knox

LT Charlie Cowan
LG Tom Mack
C Rich Saul
RG Joe Scibelli
RT John Williams

(Rookies: Doug France, Dennis Harrah)

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
If we can stay healthy, we are the best right now. Barksdale is really the only question in terms of skill. He played really well last year, though.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Don't remember the 1980 line, I was like 4. So like FRO, the '99-'01 lines were probably the best I've seen from the Rams.

Now, on paper, our line has the potential to be legendary. Let's hope they live up to that potential.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
SteveBrown is correct the 1979 offensive line that played in the Super Bowl against the Steel Curtain and had their defense concerned....That offensive line was truly special for the simple reason that Jackie Slater is the best Right Tackle to have ever played the game!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
It's gonna be 2014, and beyond.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron

He had 17, and also that painfully unfair to the O-line, he only ran 10 times.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If we can stay healthy, we are the best right now. Barksdale is really the only question in terms of skill. He played really well last year, though.
I don't think Barksdale has any skill problems, I think he has a toughness problem. IF he played the way he did against Seattle in the first game in 2013, he is a pro bowler....he actually dominated Red Bryant in that game. He is like Jake Matthews in my opinion (soft)...Happy the Rams didn't get him...

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Don't forget some of the mid-80's OL's the Rams had under John Robinson. At least for run blocking, those lines were awesome.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Don't forget some of the mid-80's OL's the Rams had under John Robinson. At least for run blocking, those lines were awesome.

Yes they were any offensive line that included Jackie Slater was great, in fact, if den-the-coach played RG next to Jackie Slater, it would still be a pretty damn good offensive line. Slater was simply the best ever!

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree.....83-84-85-86-88 They beat the Bears 4 out of 5....and Dickerson had big games in 83 and 84. Those years the Bears were playoff teams...
I saw the 84 Rams handle the Bears line in the Run game...David Hill was integral for the success and the Bears had no sacks against the Rams in that 1984 game....so, the Bears had 72 sacks in 15 games (for the sack record)