Which side of Kaepernick will Rams see?/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Which side of Kaepernick will Rams see?
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_54f4f9bb-0116-5ad8-9ce8-f19d172d83b9.html

From pass rushers, to pundits, and apparently even teammates, is there anyone who isn’t piling on Colin Kaepernick these days?

Once considered in the vanguard of a new generation of NFL quarterbacks, a struggling Kaepernick is getting the business from seemingly every direction these days.

The San Francisco QB has heard boos from the home fans at Levi’s Stadium, and gotten mocked by Green Bay linebacker Clay Matthews.

In recent weeks, reports surfaced claiming he’s aloof and “on an island” in the 49ers’ locker room. Another report said teammate Vernon Davis called him out during a heated team meeting.

Apparently, when Kaepernick comes home after a tough day on the field, his dog kicks him.

OK, that’s not really the case. But Matthews did celebrate a sack of Kaepernick in an Oct. 4 game by kissing his biceps. (That’s Kaepernick’s signature move after scoring a touchdown.)

Matthews was also captured on the FOX television broadcast of that contest shouting: “You ain’t Russell Wilson, bro!” at Kaepernick, a reference to the NFC West’s other young, dashing dual-purpose quarterback.

Kaepernick is still young — he turns 28 on Tuesday. But he’s no longer dashing — at least he wasn’t last week against Seattle. Kaepernick didn’t have a single carry, the first time that’s happened in his 46 regular-season starts as a 49er.

But the Rams, striving to remain relevant this season at 3-3, can’t afford to take Kaepernick lightly in Sunday’s noon kickoff against San Francisco at the Edward Jones Dome.

“I know Kap’s getting some criticism for this or that, but his numbers are really no different than they’ve been the last three years,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. “We went back and checked. He’s rushing the football. He’s throwing the football.”

All the Rams need do is put on the tape of Kaepernick’s last two starts in St. Louis, when his combined numbers were 37 completions in 58 attempts (63.8%) for 510 yards, five touchdowns and zero interceptions. His overall passing rating in those two contests: 120.6.

“Two years ago we had to go in there on a short week, Thursday night game, back against the wall because we had lost two games going into that, and we came away with a hard-fought win,” 49ers defensive coordinator Geep Chryst told San Francisco reporters Thursday.

The 49ers won that contest 35-11.

“Last year’s game, remember we had a big, long pass just before the two-minute (mark), and that was like it broke some ice,” Chryst said.

And broke the Rams’ backs. The Rams were up 14-3 in the closing seconds of the first half when cornerback Janoris Jenkins bit on a double move by 49ers wide receiver Brandon Lloyd. The result was an 80-yard touchdown reception on a Kaepernick pass. The 49ers went on to win 31-17.

In the 3½ seasons since he has been a starting QB, Kaepernick has rushed for more than 1,800 yards and scored 11 touchdowns.

The Rams have done a pretty good job vs. Kaepernick the runner over the past two seasons, limiting him to 83 yards (and no rushing TDs) over four contests. But they still respect his legs as well as his arm.

“He’s a long strider, but he’s got great speed,” Fisher said. “In the open field, he can make you miss. The frustrating part about defending him is he’ll push up the field, he’ll make a move, he’ll head to the sideline, and before you blink he’s picked up 20 yards and a big first down.

“So he can shift field position very, very quickly. He knows what he’s doing in the zone read and the read-option stuff. You go back and look at a couple games, he’s been very productive in it.”

Kaepernick rushed for between 41 and 57 yards in each of the 49ers’ first four games this season. But he has carried only six times — total — over their last three contests.

“I think people look to kind of take it away a little bit now,” linebacker James Laurinaitis said. “He picks and chooses. He tries to (run) a lot on third-and-short ... take off and get the first down. He can still run with the best of ’em.”

On passing plays, Laurinaitis said he has noticed that Kaepernick is less effective scrambling when teams pressure him up the middle.

“It’s always easier when quarterbacks try to escape out the edge, because you have angles and you can kind of rally (to the ball),” Laurinaitis said. “It’s when they escape up the middle that it puts you under a lot of pressure in the open field.”

So this is a game where a player such as defensive tackle Aaron Donald could do some damage, particularly since San Francisco’s interior blocking has frequently left much to be desired. For example, right guard Jordan Devey gave up 3½ sacks in the 49ers’ 20-3 loss to Seattle in a Thursday night game Oct. 22.

As a passer, Kaepernick ranks 24th in both completion percentage (61.4) and passer rating (82.8) this season for 2-5 San Francisco. When Fisher talks about the numbers being about the same, that completion percentage is a little higher than Kaepernick’s career number (60.1 percent) entering this season. But the passer rating is below his career number (90.6).

To a large degree, Kaepernick looks less sure of himself in the pocket these days. He is missing, and missing badly, too often on routine throws. Occasionally, the body language from 49ers receivers after one of those errant throws is telling. They’re frustrated.

Normally careful with the football, Kaepernick only has five interceptions this season. But four of them came in his first 10 throws Sept. 27 at Arizona, with two of them returned for touchdowns in a 47-7 rout.

But Kaepernick also has had three outings this season where he’s had better than a 100 passer rating, and two games where he has thrown for more than 300 yards. Even so, he realizes there’s room for improvement, especially after a summer in which he worked diligently with former Rams great Kurt Warner on his game.

“I would say that I have to take it to another level,” Kaepernick said. “I have to be able to make plays for this team, and I have to be a difference-maker when I step on the field.”

Which Kaepernick shows up Sunday against the Rams? Hard to tell. But it’ll probably be one who tries to throw against Jenkins on a double move by the receiver.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The bad side? I think that's the only one he has right now. ;)

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is a big game for Jenkins time for redemption. #clampseason

551staaa

Unsubstantiated Reality
I look at this team and the quarterback the same way I would a wounded animal. Do not take anything for granted and be ready for a fight. Besides, it's the Niners. Do the Rams need any other motivation? I'm cautiously optimistic, with emphasis on the caution part.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On his back side!
th

fearsomefour

Legend
The new vanguard.....anyone who thought this was a fool or had not seen him play much.
The Pistol protects QBs. It takes away reads. Once the O changed or defenses figured a way to slow it he would be exposed. That said he has immense natural ability. He really was started to ask to read Ds (to a degree) in pro ball. What he really needs to is ride the bench for a couple of years.
My understanding is he worked a couple of days with Warner, I wish they would stop making it sound like he was crashing on his couch all summer, working 14 hours a day with him. What QB you get with him is really up to the D.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
After Sunday for Colin Kaepernick...The Beat Goes On!
1024x1024.jpg

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I look at this team and the quarterback the same way I would a wounded animal. Do not take anything for granted and be ready for a fight. Besides, it's the Niners. Do the Rams need any other motivation? I'm cautiously optimistic, with emphasis on the caution part.
I agree with you completely!! And Like all wounded animals, they should be "Shot on sight!"(y):D:wabbit::double::shooting::snicker::cheers:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Maybe a couple of sides of Kap ..

Colin+Kaepernick+San+Francisco+49ers+v+St+KLrw5GFzk2Kl.jpg

QUINN.jpg

probably a lot of variations!!:rolllaugh:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
KapHat.jpg

i

El douche side.

And I'd like to thank Kurt Warner for working with Kaep, and actually making him a worse QB for us.

Last edited:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
This won't help him....
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...hurt-hamstring-thursday-wont-practice-friday/

Anquan Boldin hurt hamstring Thursday, won’t practice Friday
Posted by Josh Alper on October 30, 2015

493811532-e1446229097200.jpg
Getty Images

A struggling 49ers offense has a tough opponent in front of them Sunday in the Rams defense and it looks like there’s a good chance that they’ll be missing wide receiver Anquan Boldin for the game.

Boldin hurt his hamstring during practice on Thursday and coach Jim Tomsula said that he would sit out Friday’s session as a result.

“Obviously he had the hamstring tighten up on him in practice; we’ll see where that is,” Tomsula said, via Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee.

Boldin hasn’t missed a game since joining the 49ers in 2013 and his absence would be a blow to an offense that can hardly afford one. Boldin has been the leading pass catcher and target for passes this season by a large margin, so they’d need to make some big adjustments if he’s not in the lineup.

Those adjustments could include having Jerome Simpson in the lineup for the first time since he joined the team. It would also be Simpson’s first regular season appearance since 2013.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wro3bqi4Eb8