Which Rams Wide Receiver Should Earn The Sixth Spot?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

quick will be under the pump. needs to use his frame to his advantage, needs to stop the mental mistakes. if he hasn't shown any improvement he will be out the door, especially if one of the rookies show they can block effectively downfield.

WestCoastRam

Legend
The thing about Quick that absolutely kills me is that there's never been anything ever put out that definitively states why he disappeared last year after seemingly coming on before the injury in 2014. Was it the injury? Was it his less than stellar study habits? Was it some combination of both?

I'll be shocked if he contributes in any meaningful way this year... one could argue that he's only really contributed meaningfully for a handful of games his entire career. Shame.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Top 6

Britt
Austin
NORTH
Cooper
Thomas
Spruce

With offseason training activities over, three members of the Southern California News Group’s Rams beat team evaluate how the move from St. Louis to Los Angeles has gone, where rookie quarterback Jared Goff stands after a few weeks and how a crowded group of receivers fared in Oxnard.

Listen to Rams Podcast
camp report: Duke Williams disappeared (Orange county register)

http://www.rams-news.com/inside-rams-podcast-june-24th-audio/

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame

Yes those were just 3 clips and THEY ARE JUST CLIPS that ANYONE CAN WATCH and make a personal observation. I have watched his entire games and I can find holes/flaws in this kid like anyone else. Being a critic of a college players is easy if you have a good eye for football. I can rip GOFF to shreds if I wanted because I have seen every snap of his entire career but I see a bright career for the new young QB. I could be wrong though.....

I'm not one to debate your WR whisperer ability but I've done the work and watched lots of film on this entire WR draft class among-st others. I'm not a professional scout and I don't debate posters who sling mud wrapped in fancy super scout breakdowns. Not taking a shot you but I'm guessing you can watch these games of his and might still shred him, or say that the reason he was open was not his route running but because Sammy Coates drew the other teams best corner, or it was against college corners which will not work in the NFL etc..

We all want the same thing and that is for one or 2 of these kids to prove the critics wrong. As I stated I think DUKE has a good chance if he's got his swagger back and is even on the Rams for the first preseason game. He has run crisp routes and like all young WR's has some lazy unrefined ones as well (correctable.) His hands are very strong and he was a beast on more than a few occasions in 2014.

I have know idea how his abilities have weened since 2014 when the Juco transfer made a name for himself as an Auburn Tiger. His abilities in 2015 were garbage and he's been a mental case with a troubled background and rough neighborhood upbringing. I think Duke is a talent but I never guarantee a rookie WR will be a phenom as I realize the NFL is a different level.

You will have to do some work and inch along and fast forward to see all of his catches because obviously highlights do not show every catch. There are other games where he's only got 2,3 and 4 catches but these are the meat off the bone. You will have to click the links below each video to watch on youtube if you already didn't know....

AUBURN VS ARKANSAS

DUKE 9-154 YARDS 2 TD's

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJJIUm7Tbjg

Here is the highlights vs ARK but they doesnt show all his catches

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0V0P1acjnI

AUBURN VS KANSAS ST

DUKE 8-110 YARDS 1 TD

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYzEmoWWmUE

AUBURN VS MISSISSIPPI ST

DUKE 6-108 YARDS 2 TD's

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDxWffKV-OY

AUBURN VS ALABAMA

DUKE 7-121 O TD

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZa2xyVJ5aA

Last edited:

Stony32

Fan since tickets were $5.50

Seems about right.

From http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2131681/dhaquille-williams

"STRENGTHS: Natural tools are encouraging. Lining up mostly inside in Auburn's offense, Williams is a good-sized target with long-striding speed to accelerate quickly into his routes, displaying hesitation with his footwork at the top of his patterns. He is best on stick and stop routes.

WEAKNESSES: Like Sammie Coates, he is raw in several areas. He doesn't consistently play up to his size and often misjudges his highpointing jumps when attacking the ball. . . in the dog house during preseason practices and his lackadaisical route-running. . ."

From http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/dhaquille-williams?id=2555210

"Strengths
Big frame and usually plays to his size. Will post up cornerbacks down the field and uses his body to shield throws from defenders. Natural pass catcher with soft hands. Saw 82 percent of his catches go for first downs in 2014. At his best in longer developing, intermediate routes. Does solid job of setting up routes with leverage points and head fakes. Makes downfield catches with well-timed hands to consistently pluck throws at the high point and will lay out to make the tough catch. Can grind out an extra couple of yards after the catch in order to get the first down. Has the size to help run game as a blocker if his care factor is right.

Weaknesses

. . . Stiff hips and below average athlete. Restricted, semi-strider off snap and slow into routes. Won’t slip many tackles in the open field after the catch. Despite his size, blocking not a priority for him. Small hands for his size. Can't shake free underneath and will have to live off of contested catches. Very little acceleration for separation out of breaks. Could be forced into slot role only. Looked like he was going through the motions in 2015 before his dismissal. . ."

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
WEAKNESSES: Like Sammie Coates, he is raw in several areas. He doesn't consistently play up to his size and often misjudges his highpointing jumps when attacking the ball. .

This is quick 100% when he came out. Man i hope a new wr stands up.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I just hope that they keep the six best receivers instead of projects this year.:football:

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Seems about right.

From http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2131681/dhaquille-williams

"STRENGTHS: Natural tools are encouraging. Lining up mostly inside in Auburn's offense, Williams is a good-sized target with long-striding speed to accelerate quickly into his routes, displaying hesitation with his footwork at the top of his patterns. He is best on stick and stop routes.

WEAKNESSES: Like Sammie Coates, he is raw in several areas. He doesn't consistently play up to his size and often misjudges his highpointing jumps when attacking the ball. . . in the dog house during preseason practices and his lackadaisical route-running. . ."

From http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/dhaquille-williams?id=2555210

"Strengths
Big frame and usually plays to his size. Will post up cornerbacks down the field and uses his body to shield throws from defenders. Natural pass catcher with soft hands. Saw 82 percent of his catches go for first downs in 2014. At his best in longer developing, intermediate routes. Does solid job of setting up routes with leverage points and head fakes. Makes downfield catches with well-timed hands to consistently pluck throws at the high point and will lay out to make the tough catch. Can grind out an extra couple of yards after the catch in order to get the first down. Has the size to help run game as a blocker if his care factor is right.

Weaknesses

. ."

Yep seems about right.. Just about the same thing said about all the 1st round WR's selected. My point was watch Dukes entire games and get a full sense of his body of work. I seen him run some good routes, but hey my eyes are not working for the NFL. Scouting reports are a great reference tool for us fans when we do our own scouting.

Oh well its all good.. everyone's eyes see something a little different or we wouldn't need to review film we could just read the scouting reports. I wasn't trying to bash anyone just was saying critical comments can be in the eye of the beholder and the more seen of the player the more you might agree with the original view or maybe see some things that show some qualities that were missed in a small sample size..
As us Italians say.. no worries forgettta bout it :icare: I hope one of these WR's plays well above their scouting reports and makes the offense better.. Go LA Rams

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016

WR COREY COLEMAN

WEAKNESSES Does his best work from outside the numbers, but lacks desired NFL size to play outside. Allows cornerbacks to leverage him against the sideline on deep throws. Takes longer than expected to gear down for comeback routes after hitting top speed. Ran limited number of simple routes. Hands are a concern. Fails to catch away from his body. Dropped 10 passes for a drop rate of 11.9 percent. Loses focus and concentration on routes that work towards the middle of the field or when he senses defenders are closing in. Had sports hernia surgery that forced him to miss his bowl game.

WR WILL FULLER

WEAKNESSES Undersized outside receiver with skinny legs who is unlikely to make a living in the middle of the field. Hands can be wretched at times (see Boston College game). Body catcher with focus issues and lack of hand strength. Logged nine drops in each of the last two seasons. Feast or famine target lacking frame and hands to be a volume receiver. Needs to improve route savvy for underneath and intermediate routes. Won't offer much at all as run blocker.

JOSH DOCTSON

WEAKNESSES Tall but needs to add more muscle to prepare for physical, press cornerbacks. Played in offense that created plenty of space to work in. Needs a greater commitment as a blocker. Was rarely pressed, but had issues coming out cleanly when he was. Doesn't look sudden or urgent in his routes and is upright into his breaks. Out-breaking routes are rounded and obvious. Suffered a broken wrist in early November.

LAQUON TREADWELL

WEAKNESSES Doesn't have the cushion-eating, vertical speed to scare cornerbacks. Cornerbacks will crowd his underneath routes from off-man coverage. Benefitted with several easy catches in space against zone coverage. Struggled to free himself from press coverage against LSU's Tre'Davious White and may have separation issues in pros against quick cornerbacks. Takes time to gear down into breaks once he gets speed up. Could stand to be more physical in his release against press.
average athlete. Restricted, semi-strider off snap and slow into routes. Won’t slip many tackles in the open field after the catch. Despite his size, blocking not a priority for him. Small hands for his size. Can't shake free underneath and will have to live off of contested catches. Very little acceleration for separation out of breaks. Could be forced into slot role only. Looked like he was going through the motions in 2015 before his dismissal.

Last edited:

Stony32

Fan since tickets were $5.50
Yep seems about right.. Just about the same thing said about all the 1st round WR's selected. . . .

I meant that FLV's spotting of weaknesses in Duke's game seems to correspond with these scouting reports. So far, I've never seen "Weaknesses: None." Everyone has them. It's just a question of weighing them against the strengths.

I'm not inclined to spend a lot of time looking at film, because nothing I think about this matters. As I said previously, we're just like a bunch of guys sitting around the bar, drinking beer and shooting the s#!%. Our opinion trading is fun, but meaningless. All that matters is what Snisher thinks. We'll know that soon enough. Should be fun watching it all unfold.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Heres how it will work out

Britt
Austin
Quick
North
Cooper
Thomas

Practice Squad:
Spruce
Williams

For those of you saying it will be:
Britt
Austin
4 rookies(Cooper, Thomas, Spruce, Williams, McRoberts,etc)
That wont happen!

No way Fisher has 4/6 of his wr corp be rookies. No coach in the NFL would do that.
Three at the very most would be rookies, but most likely it will only be only two. These rookies arent early first rounders who can come in and be studs right away. These are late rounders who need time most likely.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame

Britt
Austin
Quick
North
Cooper
Thomas

Practice Squad:
Spruce
Williams

Britt
Austin
That wont happen!

No way Fisher has 4/6 of his wr corp be rookies. No coach in the NFL would do that.
Three at the very most would be rookies, but most likely it will only be only two. These rookies arent early first rounders who can come in and be studs right away. These are late rounders who need time most likely.

I couldn't agree more Tron.. It would be crazy for Fisher to keep more than 3 Rookie WR's. The odds of keeping 3 are not far fetched. Fisher could throw us a curve ball and decide to keep 7 WR's though it seems unlikely that would ever happen.

tumblr_nakervm0B01s335jfo1_r2_500.gif

tumblr_n2ezv44Dys1tuvovwo1_500.gif

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I couldn't agree more Tron.. It would be crazy for Fisher to keep more than 3 Rookie WR's. The odds of keeping 3 are not far fetched. Fisher could throw us a curve ball and decide to keep 7 WR's though it seems unlikely that would ever happen.

tumblr_nakervm0B01s335jfo1_r2_500.gif

tumblr_n2ezv44Dys1tuvovwo1_500.gif
He could, but with keeping Higbee and Hemingway, that's already 4-5 rookie pass catchers. I think grooming some on the PS and replacing a vet or two in the future is in the hopeful plan.

Last edited:

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
He could, but with keeping Higbee and Hemingway, that's already 4-5 rookie pass catchers. I think grooming some on the PS and replacing a vet or two interviews future is in the hopeful plan.

For sure... Assuming Cooper, Higbeast, Hemingway and M.Thomas all make the 53 that is 4 rooks on the worst Passing Offense in football last season. Adding a 3rd rookie WR to the 53 totals 5 rooks as you mentioned.

Now In some crazy way if Fisher keeps 7 WR's because a 4th rookie WR was too good to risk on the PS (not in a logical world) that would total 6 rookie pass catchers with the eventual rookie starting QB...

You want to TALK ABOUT completely BLOWING up your OFFENSE.. whoa!!!
gallery_34627_10906_31642398749cc3b11326d1.gif

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
For sure... Assuming Cooper, Higbeast, Hemingway and M.Thomas all make the 53 that is 4 rooks on the worst Passing Offense in football last season. Adding a 3rd rookie WR to the 53 totals 5 rooks as you mentioned.

Now In some crazy way if Fisher keeps 7 WR's because a 4th rookie WR was too good to risk on the PS (not in a logical world) that would total 6 rookie pass catchers with the eventual rookie starting QB...

You want to TALK ABOUT completely BLOWING up your OFFENSE.. whoa!!!
gallery_34627_10906_31642398749cc3b11326d1.gif
Exactly! Won't happen. No nfl hc would do that.

Rams43

Hall of Fame

Britt
Austin
Quick
North
Cooper
Thomas

Practice Squad:
Spruce
Williams

Britt
Austin
That wont happen!

On the other hand, Tron, I can conceive of a scenario where Quick continues to struggle. As he has for approx 80% of his career.

Mastering the playbook, adjusting to the D at the LOS, getting open, hanging onto the ball, etc.

In such a case, I could see 3 of these rookies outperforming him dramatically.

Britt
Austin
Cooper
Thomas
Marquez
And one of Spruce, Williams, North, or ??? Could well be our six.

Three vets and three rookies. It could happen.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
On the other hand, Tron, I can conceive of a scenario where Quick continues to struggle. As he has for approx 80% of his career.

Mastering the playbook, adjusting to the D at the LOS, getting open, hanging onto the ball, etc.

In such a case, I could see 3 of these rookies outperforming him dramatically.

Britt
Austin
Cooper
Thomas
Marquez
And one of Spruce, Williams, North, or ??? Could well be our six.

Three vets and three rookies. It could happen.
I agree. 3 at the very most. But no more than that. Still predict two rookies but slightly possible of three

Picked4td

Pro Bowler

not sure how it wouldnt be a factor. if you got a tight race between say quick and 2 udfa, keeping quick on the roster and the 2 udfa on the ps allows you to keep all 3. giving a roster spot to an udfa means no quick at all. dont get the downside there