Which Rams Wide Receiver Should Earn The Sixth Spot?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
:burp: "Can your mom cut on a dime?"
she's more of a booty shaker
tumblr_lzrx2jQH8t1r05kkqo1_500.gif

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Quick is a name that I'm just getting tired of seeing on the roster. Like Isaiah Pead or Chase Reynolds.

Quick better do some amazing shit to show that he will produce big this year in the preseason and camp or I'm going to be upset with him sticking.

Hell, even if he lights up in preseason I'll still be at least a little angry because it doesn't mean anything until the regular season.

I know that makes it sound like I'm nearly impossible to please when it comes to Quick. As if I'm putting him on an impossible quest for approval. I kinda am.

Whether it's rational or not. I'm tired of seeing him underpreform year in year out and the idea of passing up on young fresh talent for him is a hard pill to swallow.

Even if the new guy doesn't set the world on fire, I would love that the gamble on the younger more unknown talent was taken because Quick is becoming more and more of a known commodity and is proving to be a low level player that struggles to be active on game day.

I have been hanging on to hope that he will turn the corner, but it hasn't happened yet. Maybe Grohl can change things, but it's an uphill battle for Quick to make the roster in my opinion, let alone trusting him to produce anymore than 10 catches a year.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
My 6 are
Britt
Quick
Austin
Cooper
Thomas
Marquez

I like your list, lockdnram21.

But Quick is such an enigma. I mean, he could really morph into our long awaited #1 WR if his head is right.

Or he could be released because he's just been outplayed by one too many rookies.

Geez. What a wide spectrum of realistic possibilities.

I'm pulling for him, but he's gotta make his statement early on in camp. And he needs to make it a very bold statement at that, just to remove all doubt.

Another thing. I think Spruce is gonna be a very tough kid to cut. In fact, I suspect he would be claimed by another team after he has an impressive camp and preseason. Marquez needs to show that he's a quality WR, not just a ST stud if he wants to make the six.

Okay, one final comment about your list. Thomas is no lock, either. It's frustrating to see him make one handed circus catches then follow it up with a drop of an easy one. ESPECIALLY an easy one for a TD. So Thomas had best get that corrected, and PDQ. There are some talented UDFA's competing with him at WR.

lockdnram21

Legend
I like your list, lockdnram21.

But Quick is such an enigma. I mean, he could really morph into our long awaited #1 WR if his head is right.

Or he could be released because he's just been outplayed by one too many rookies.

Geez. What a wide spectrum of realistic possibilities.

I'm pulling for him, but he's gotta make his statement early on in camp. And he needs to make it a very bold statement at that, just to remove all doubt.

Another thing. I think Spruce is gonna be a very tough kid to cut. In fact, I suspect he would be claimed by another team after he has an impressive camp and preseason. Marquez needs to show that he's a quality WR, not just a ST stud if he wants to make the six.

Okay, one final comment about your list. Thomas is no lock, either. It's frustrating to see him make one handed circus catches then follow it up with a drop of an easy one. ESPECIALLY an easy one for a TD. So Thomas had best get that corrected, and PDQ. There are some talented UDFA's competing with him at WR.
I think Thomas is a lock unless Duke, North , or Mcroberts tear it up in preseason

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
My 6 are
Britt
Austin
Cooper
Thomas
Duke
Spruce

Second round picks aren't Sneed's thing - JJ gone, I.Pead gone, Quick, argh, the verdict is still out on Joyner --- mean no wonder we traded away our two 2nd picks his year for Goff :LOL:

We need some young hungry guys on this roster, let Quick go to Kansas City and be an all-pro, where all Ram bust 2nd round WRs go to revive their career (kennison, Avery)

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
This is what I think will happen
Britt
Quick
Austin
Cooper
Thomas
Marquez

This is what I'm hoping will happen
Britt
Austin
Cooper
Thomas
McRoberts or North or Duke
Marquez

JC-3

UDFA
Name
JC-3
My 6:

Austin
Britt
Cooper
Thomas
Duke
Spruce

North is a great wildcard. If he's healthy....

Great slot receivers. Potential #1's in Thomas and Duke and Britt.

Done.

DickersonGurley

Naga...nagunnaposthereanymore
Name
Faulk
Tested terribly at Combine.....so he sucks? Lol Williams is the real deal. Plus yeah he played at Auburn, and he's big, guess what they do a lot of at Auburn. Block. Williams has that advantage coming out of the gate.

I'm not big on Marquez. My thinking is Spruce takes his place. Does everything he does, but better as a WR, and catches EVERYTHING.

I HOPE Fisher keeps the best 6 and doesn't stress about rookies.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have no ideal who should get the 6th WR spot. IMO it could come from a very different area than the many mentioned in the posts above ...big surprise in Temarrick Hemingway who could end up being a large tall target 6-6 240 pound Wide out because his blocking experience is invisible.

I considered the ending 2015 season Rams WR cadre one of the weakest if not the weakest units in the NFL. When 3 of these Ram WR's were all high draft selections of Fisher. TA was a top 10 pick is entering his 4th season, Britt came in the middle of the first round area is entering his 8th season & Quick arrived here in 2012 from the first selection on Day Two of the 2012 draft is entering his 5th season. So between the top 3 Ram WR's we have near 6 yrs average between them.

I would not call those three top ending 2015 season WR inexperienced at all. I would say those three have not produced down on the field as regular NFL WR's produce considering the cost of Fishers valuable draft assets utilized to bring them under his coaching whelm. Its been forever now since I soured on waiting for Brian Quick to produce but it appears that Fisher has not.

The TE receiving cadre has two experienced TE's that can start in Cory Harkey & Lance Kendricks. Lance who is 28 & not getting younger is being paid like he has been to the pro bowl is entering his 6th season. Since his arrival as a high 2nd round pick in 2012 has season average production has been 31 catches 327 yds & 3 TD's:(. Cory can play FB/H-back & LOS TE has averaged about 7 catches for 54 yds a season. Cory is entering his 5th season. Not in the top five here, but I might need to mention Cory's back up Justice Cunningham will enter his 4th NFL training camp & pre season, that will sure help him when he's going toe to toe with rookies Tyler Higbee & Hemingway.

So between these five Rams there is some good NFL experience to work with here. After these five YES the experience drops off rapidly. Fisher/Snead now have only one of the WR's other than the three I mentioned above that they had on the roster last season (Bradley Marquez who was a UDFA rookie), for a whole new crop of rookies this training camp.

Would appear to me that whoever can come into TC & pre season & show they can be productive they will get every chance to beat out even the very experienced Ram receivers. I not going to buy into the thoughts previously posted above that seems to place great value on experience & that it will come into major play as to how many rookies that will make the roster. I really do not see where Snead & Fisher are thinking right now that they got to have this experience element as a top objective here in our 2016 WR cadre.

Last edited:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I have no ideal who should get the 6th WR spot. IMO it could come from a very different area than the many mentioned in the posts above ...big surprise in Temarrick Hemingway who could end up being a large tall target 6-6 240 pound Wide out because his blocking experience is invisible.

I considered the ending 2015 season Rams WR cadre one of the weakest if not the weakest units in the NFL. When 3 of these Ram WR's were all high draft selections of Fisher. TA was a top 10 pick is entering his 4th season, Britt came in the middle of the first round area is entering his 8th season & Quick arrived here in 2012 from the first selection on Day Two of the 2012 draft is entering his 5th season. So between the top 3 Ram WR's we have near 6 yrs average between them.

I would not call those three top ending 2015 season WR inexperienced at all. I would say those three have not produced down on the field as regular NFL WR's produce considering the cost of Fishers valuable draft assets utilized to bring them under his coaching whelm. Its been forever now since I soured on waiting for Brian Quick to produce but it appears that Fisher has not.

The TE receiving cadre has two experienced TE's that can start in Cory Harkey & Lance Kendricks. Lance who is 28 & not getting younger is being paid like he has been to the pro bowl is entering his 6th season. Since his arrival as a high 2nd round pick in 2012 has season average production has been 31 catches 327 yds & 3 TD's:(. Cory can play FB/H-back & LOS TE has averaged about 7 catches for 54 yds a season. Cory is entering his 5th season. Not in the top five here, but I might need to mention Cory's back up Justice Cunningham will enter his 4th NFL training camp & pre season, that will sure help him when he's going toe to toe with rookies Tyler Higbee & Hemingway.

So between these five Rams there is some good NFL experience to work with here. After these five YES the experience drops off rapidly. Fisher/Snead now have only one of the WR's other than the three I mentioned above that they had on the roster last season (Bradley Marquez who was a UDFA rookie), for a whole new crop of rookies this training camp.

Would appear to me that whoever can come into TC & pre season & show they can be productive they will get every chance to beat out even the very experienced Ram receivers. I not going to buy into the thoughts previously posted above that seems to place great value on experience & that it will come into major play as to how many rookies that will make the roster. I really do not see where Snead & Fisher are thinking right now that they got to have this experience element as a top objective here in our 2016 WR cadre.

You lay out a nice case there, Bonifay. As usual.

My take?

We had a woeful passing attack in '15, no question. League's worst. So there's nowhere to go but up.

My optimism comes from the following drastic actions by Fisher and Snead. These tell me that they are painfully aware of their previous problems with their passing O...

New QB was drafted at great cost. A very bold move.
New WR and passing coordinator hired in Groh. Another bold move.
Boras was retained but now has more tools and a full offseason to work with.
Boras is known for being a sticker for details and execution. Just what the doctor ordered, imo. I expect to see better routes and fewer drops this year.
I suspect that Gurley will be getting more touches in the passing game. A nightmare for opposing D's.
Keenum should be able to hold the fort until Goff is ready to take the reins. Maybe more than hold the fort, actually.
S&F have flooded the WR and TE positions with incoming talent. Just as they've successfully done previously with OL, DL, LB, CB, and S. I feel strongly that these two bold positional moves will result in markedly improved passing results.

Add up all of the above and what do you conclude?

I see an "all in" type commitment to dramatically improve our O, particularly our passing O. This was no "add one player" type bandaid offseason. More of a "Battle Stations and damn the torpedos" type offseason.

Yeah, you could say that I'm kinda pumped. At last the skill O positions got a lot of attention.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
I think some people are forgetting the fact that quick cant go to the ps while most of the other guys can. If its a real tight race between quick and an UDFA or 2 i think Quick gets the edge because they can put one of these other guys on their ps and move them up to the roster at a later date. Its all about effectively using your resources

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My 6 are
Britt
Austin
Cooper
Thomas
Duke
Spruce

Second round picks aren't Sneed's thing - JJ gone, I.Pead gone, Quick, argh, the verdict is still out on Joyner --- mean no wonder we traded away our two 2nd picks his year for Goff :LOL:

We need some young hungry guys on this roster, let Quick go to Kansas City and be an all-pro, where all Ram bust 2nd round WRs go to revive their career (kennison, Avery)
I like this list and you add McRoberts on the PS.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Tested terribly at Combine.....so he sucks? Lol Williams is the real deal. Plus yeah he played at Auburn, and he's big, guess what they do a lot of at Auburn. Block. Williams has that advantage coming out of the gate.

I'm not big on Marquez. My thinking is Spruce takes his place. Does everything he does, but better as a WR, and catches EVERYTHING.

I HOPE Fisher keeps the best 6 and doesn't stress about rookies.

I think DUKE runs natural crisp patterns and his hands are strong! If Duke Williams has his swagger back and is in top shape for camp, he's going to be in the mix and could easily knock one of the favorites off the 53.

I'm rooting for the Auburn troubled head case to make the roster because he can be a monster 3rd down chains mover.

Cooper is virtually a lock. Thomas is a true outside Flanker and will need to have several drops and a poor preseason to not make it. Nelson 'sticky mitts' Spruce is the peoples champion.

North
and McRoberts were hard to evaluate for me heading into camp/preseason. McRoberts doesn't show strength/explosion to compensate for his 40 times. I will not proclaim that neither wont have a chance to surprise just saying their film was hard for me to make an educated guess. They are both truly wildcards

Duke is a powerful beast that imo can play the Slot and Split End. Unless he folds under pressure like a lounge chair on a Florida beach, I'm all in the Duke camp.

SentimentalSpitefulDove.gif

dukedoublemove.gif

dukeslant.gif