Which Rams Players Acquired In 2012 Still Have Value?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2015/12/16/9878428/st-louis-rams-53-man-roster-2012-nfl-draft

Which St. Louis Rams Acquired in 2012 Still Have Value?
By RamBuck@lannyosu on Dec 16, 2015, 1:21p 46

Given that we are 3+ years into the Fisher/Snead regime, it's now completely fair to look back at the players acquired in 2012 and see what their present-day value is to the Rams. Hint: we don't think you'll be shocked by the results.

When Jeff Fisher and Les Snead were hired in early 2012 to "fix" the St. Louis Rams, they were assigned the daunting task of overhauling the roster and bringing in quality and quantity.

Given that the Rams finished 2-14 the previous year, and had only a few serviceable starters on the roster, it was unreasonable to think that they would turn the ship around in one offseason. However, the hope was that given plenty of cap space and draft capital, and a healthy Sam Bradford, they could have a nice start. And they more or less did, finishing 7-8-1 in the first year of their regime with the arrow pointing up.

Obviously, that optimism was short lived as the Rams currently sit at 5-8 (after 7-9 and 6-10 seasons) and have major questions at many key positions, including quarterback, offensive line and wide receiver. Those positions are PRETTY important for scoring points, as you all know. Also, many of the key pieces brought in during 2012 are now afterthoughts, free agent and draft misses that have left fans frustrated and wondering about the competency coaching staff to develop talent.

Let's talk about the players this regime signed, the expected value/role in 2012, and what their value is now to the Rams.

2012 Free Agency Notables
In the 2012 offseason, the Rams managed to ink the trio of Cortland Finnegan, Kendall Langford and Scott Wells. All three were expected to contribute at a high level for multiple years based on their ages and heavy contracts.

Here's how it shook out:

• After a solid 2012 for the former Pro Bowler, Finnegan fell off the map in 2013 with inconsistent play. He was released and later signed with the Dolphins. He semi-retired, then recently came out of retirement to join the Panthers.
  • Wells was dinged up early in 2012 after being durable most of his career. Battling nagging injuries with a revolving door of linemates, Wells never regained his Pro Bowl form. He was released this past offseason.
  • Langford was solid if unspectacular for several years before being a cap casualty this past offseason. He's now a starter for the Colts.
All told, the Rams brought in twelve free agents in the 2012 offseason. Only one, William Hayes, is still on the roster and contributing.

2012 Draft Notables
Before the 2012 NFL Draft, the Rams executed a blockbuster trade with Washington, sending them the #2 pick, used on Robert Griffin III, for a boatload of draft picks. During the 2012 draft, the Rams then traded down and acquired more picks.

Here's what they did in the first four rounds:

• 1st round (14th overall): DT Michael Brockers, a solid starter for the Rams who improves each year.
  • 2nd round (33rd): WR Brian Quick, starting coming on early last year as a top playmaker, now struggling to contribute in the passing game.
  • 2nd round (39th): CB Janoris Jenkins, coming into his own as a Pro Bowl-caliber playmaker.
  • 2nd round (50th): RB Isaiah Pead, spent much of his career in Fisher's doghouse (and chasing fumbles) before his release this year.
  • 3rd round (65th): CB Trumaine Johnson, rounding into an excellent cover corner.
  • 4th round (96th): WR Chris Givens, inconsistent deep threat who was traded to Ravens this year.
Out of six picks in the first four rounds, the Rams have come away with three solid starters (50%) in Brockers, Jenkins and Tru, one decent role player in Quick and two players no longer on the roster. The Rams also came away with K Greg Zuerlein in the 6th round who has had recent accuracy issues but can still kick it to the moon.

All told, the Rams drafted ten players in the 2012 draft, and five are still on the roster.

UDFA Notables
The Rams actually did quite well in UDFA, signing four eventual starters and role players out of nine.

Waiver Notables
The Rams brought in eight players via waivers including four offensive linemen. Only one, OT Joe Barksdale, is still contributing in the league and is a solid starter for San Diego. The Rams let him walk this past offseason.

Trade Notables
The Rams traded the disappointing #2 overall pick from the 2011 NFL Draft, OT Jason Smith, for OT Wayne Hunter. Hunter was released in 2013.

2012 Value Summary
Of the 40 players signed, 22 are non factors (not on NFL rosters). Only nine players are still with the Rams.

The full breakdown of players, value calculations, grade references and the value chart can be found here.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The second round could have been so much more, if Snead and Fisher hand valued quantity over quality.

But all in all they have drafted pretty well and their UDFA track record is quite remarkable. All they have to do now is continue the trend of picking marquee players like Donald and Gurley. Good teams have a good QB and some stars sprinkled throughout the roster. It doesn't take much but just a few mega talented players like Brady and Gronk, or Rogers and Nelson.

I could argue that they have it on defens with Donald Jenkins, Ogletree, and Quinn, but I really think they need either another DE or a great MLB. A MLB that sheds blocks like CJ Mosely would be huge on D.

On Offense they are two top talent players away IMO. They lack the WR an QB, obviously. And no I do not count Tavon as that number one type WR. He is a nice complimentary piece that would be crazy good with a QB and a real receiving threat.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
That UDFA list is particularly impressive but, in regard to the draft itself, those are three key pieces of this D. Brockers is signed up for a fifth year and I'd like to see the FO find a way to get both CBs signed up otherwise we might have a very different (and more negative) view of the 2012 draft than we do right now.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Defense and UDFAS their record is quite good. Offense we all know the story. Signing both CBs might be difficult, but we have two good reserves and a FO that has a good track record with DBs. Lineups evolve, and overspending is as much a team killer as bad drafting. To me the Brockers contact extension was the most important. It sounds like an overused cliche, but I truly believe the game is won and lost mostly on the OL and DL. Teams may not have one of the top 5 QBs, or an all world RB or WR but if they win the LOS they'll win more then they lose.

FA is tough for everyone.

Forrest free agent.jpg

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
No GM/HC hits on their draft picks and Snead and Fisher are no exception.Our draft picks over the last 4 years have been decent with the exception of Grob as the number 2 overall. That pick needed to be a impact player from day 1.Quick,Pead have not worked out so well either as 2nd rounders that hurts.But Fisher has hit on a number of defensive players and a couple of offensive ones.But I don't think that's where the problem is,its the offensive philosophy or lack of that has dragged us down.If Fisher could pick offensive coaches like he chooses defensive players we would be a very good team.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pead and Quick sting... but Hekker, McLeod and Harkey were great finds.

Like most less that .500 teams, hit and miss.

Rainram

Starter
Two points...

1. This point is made often enough...Their track record is at least on par, if not better, than most other teams.

2. This point is not made often enough... In 2012 Snead and Fisher were not working with their own scouting department, personnel and system. It wasn't until 2013 that they got their guys, personnel and system fully implemented. Snead wasn't even hired until half way through February of 2012 with the draft two months away.

And Brockers, Jenkins and Johnson...SOLID!

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
That was a damned good draft, all things considered. You've got a very-above-average NT who can eat double-teams and provide some QB pressure, you got 2 guys I consider to be in the top-15 corners in the NFL, you got one of the 2-3 best punters in the league, and you got some NFL production out of Givens, Quick, Richardson and Pead. You also got a pretty good starting kicker, but I'm rarely in favor of spending draft capital on kickers.

Considering how hard it can be to find starter-caliber, much less star-caliber, corners and defensive tackles, I'd call that a very good draft.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Two points...

1. This point is made often enough...Their track record is at least on par, if not better, than most other teams.

2. This point is not made often enough... In 2012 Snead and Fisher were not working with their own scouting department, personnel and system. It wasn't until 2013 that they got their guys, personnel and system fully implemented. Snead wasn't even hired until half way through February of 2012 with the draft two months away.

And Brockers, Jenkins and Johnson...SOLID!

In all fairness on point 2, Snead had been a personnel guy with the Falcons - he certainly had access and information from their scouting department before he left (and I assume that is the sort he has set up here) so he wasn't flat footed going into the draft, and JF did not coach that year, I would assume that knowing he would likely come back to the NFL he spent time he might not have had if he was coaching to evaluate upcoming draft players.

I always thought that DV time announcing the college game gave him contacts and information on some great talent as a head coach here.

Rainram

Starter
In all fairness on point 2, Snead had been a personnel guy with the Falcons - he certainly had access and information from their scouting department before he left (and I assume that is the sort he has set up here) so he wasn't flat footed going into the draft, and JF did not coach that year, I would assume that knowing he would likely come back to the NFL he spent time he might not have had if he was coaching to evaluate upcoming draft players.

I always thought that DV time announcing the college game gave him contacts and information on some great talent as a head coach here.

Absolutely. I don't disagree with that at all.

But I wonder if this was some of the reason they nailed the picks on the defensive side of the ball? Fisher knows DBs. Waufle loved Brockers...and boy did we need interior DLine help that year. Fisher knew what approach he wanted on D and the coaches he wanted.

But when it came to the offense, maybe their evaluators weren't sure what Fisher wanted? Maybe Fisher wasn't sure what he wanted? What did Schotty want to do? Were the scouts on the same page as the coaches offensively? Were the coaches on the same page offensively?

Just saying, for a new regime just coming together, I think they did well in 2012. Hell, I think they evaluate talent well period. We have a lot of quality players.

Coming up with the Ws?...that's another story...