Which Rams assistant coach is next in line for a head coaching gig?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Which Rams assistant coach is next in line for a head coaching gig?

By CliffJackson@CliffJacksonn Jun 13, 2022
1655214770191.png

Ever since the Sean McVay era began in 2017, it seems as though the LA Rams go through different coordinators and position coaches on a yearly basis. The reason being is simple, everyone wants to find the next McVay in their hiring process, and what better way to try and replicate that than by hiring someone who worked closely with him.

In McVay’s five seasons as head coach, he has had four coaches hijacked from his staff in order to become head coaches in their own right. Zac Taylor (Bengals), Matt LeFleur (Packers), Brandon Staley (Chargers), and Kevin O’Connell (Vikings) all worked under Sean McVay, as his coaching tree has become extremely impressive considering it has only been five years since he became the head man. The question is never if the Rams will have a coach from their staff hired as a head coach elsewhere, but is rather who will be the next coach to get that opportunity?
1655214809046.png

The two front-runners in my eyes are the offensive and the defensive coordinators, Liam Coen and Raheem Morris.

Coen returns to the Rams after having worked for the team from 2018-2020 as an assistant receivers coach from 18’-19’, before becoming assistant quarterbacks coach in 2020. He then served as the University of Kentucky’s offensive coordinator in 2021, orchestrating one of the top offenses in the SEC last season.

On the other side of the ball, Raheem Morris has been with the Rams for just one season, winning the Super Bowl in his first year on the staff. Morris has a much more extensive background in terms of NFL coaching experience, as he has been coaching in the league for nearly 20 years. He also has some head coaching experience as well, albeit not the best experience, as Morris posted a record of 17-31 in jsut three seasons as the Buccaneers head coach from 2009-2011.

What do you guys think? Will it be Coen or Morris who gets a head coaching job first? Or, will there be a dark horse who emerges to steal the spotlight?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMO, barring injury I believe the Ram defense will be even better this year and teams will be lining up for Raheem Morris. Liam Coen could stay in the NFL or might even head back to the collegiate level to run a program. Regardless if Morris does move on, one would surmise, it might be time to promote DL Coach Eric Henderson to DC because if not, Morris might take him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Snead & McVay need to be really prepared to replace DC Morris very early in 2023. Not so sure as to which current assistant DC coach is ready though.

Rams Org. has hired new coaches & reassigned others who have been here for a while so far this season. Besides the DL coach, the defensive coaches have been tilled up.

I am really looking forward to just how well our new secondary coaches can get production out of this group since we have had so much turnover there the last two seasons. This secondary needs some new adjustments made in personnel on what posts they play & just how many snaps they get too. This would look to be the biggest assignment.

DL coach Henderson needs to uncover a 2nd pass rusher out of defensive lineman in the worse way. At this point, he is certainly without. Any help for AD will have to come from the overall DC scheme blitzes from the LB'ing/ safety/corner units. Not ideal!

nighttrain

Legend
DL coach Henderson needs to uncover a 2nd pass rusher out of defensive lineman in the worse way At this point, he is certainly without. Any help for AD will have to come from the overall DC scheme blitzes from the LB'ing/ safety/corner units. Not ideal!
train

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If this offense does what I expect this year (top 3 in scoring) then Coen is almost surely a postseason hire. I'd put him at 95% maybe more given that plus the history of McVay's OCs being hired and his one year stint running a great offense at Kentucky. Seems like most losing teams want offensive gurus for QB development.

Raheem would be a sure hire if he was an OC. I think he is one of the most qualified candidates with his history of positions and general experience.. If he can field a top ten defense again he should be good to go.

Splined

UDFA
Does anyone recall if Raheem was interviewed or talked about for an HC gig? I wonder if he and/or the FO is considering him taking over the HC position for the Rams whenever McVay retires.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Does anyone recall if Raheem was interviewed or talked about for an HC gig? I wonder if he and/or the FO is considering him taking over the HC position for the Rams whenever McVay retires.
Morris did interview in Minnesota and not sure when McVay will retire, but I'm sure I would want an offensive coach to take over when that ever happens and hopefully that's way down the road.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
IMO, barring injury I believe the Ram defense will be even better this year and teams will be lining up for Raheem Morris. Liam Coen could stay in the NFL or might even head back to the collegiate level to run a program. Regardless if Morris does move on, one would surmise, it might be time to promote DL Coach Eric Henderson to DC because if not, Morris might take him.
Not sure you have seen this den. Great Read!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Henderson and Brown are both guys McVay might lose on top of his coordinators being at risk. I think there's a good chance that this year's staff gets plundered.

Henderson in particular will be enormously painful to lose because he's squeezed a ton from our DL talent. I am hoping they find a way to keep him around but that's the drawback of finding talent for your staff. Other teams gonna want them too. Brown gets talked up a ton and everyone loves him but RB has not exactly been a shining example of a positional coach kicking ass, so I'm more lukewarm on him even though clearly he's a good coach if McVay loves him that much.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Raheem Morris is the obvious answer. Liam Coen makes sense in two years followed by Thomas Brown.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
KEEP THEM ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Raheem Morris. Give me them comp picks man.
I LMAO NOW!! Just thinking about all Those HATERS! Yeah IMO the same reason he didn’t get a HC job is the same reason for some of those HATERS!! Anyways the Comp picks should be nice.We’ll see though ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Just to add I’m happy Kevin O’Connell got the Vikings job,for selfish reasons.

Now that RAMsey is on IR those draft picks will get a lot more reps than they would have.
I expect Troy Hill & RR31 to be The starting CB’s. David Long is solid depth.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Rams Raheem Morris Best NFL Coach Without A Head Job?​

JUNE 21, 2022
1655899571057.png

Raheem Morris is one of the most respected names in the game. Los Angeles Rams defensive coordinator Raheem Morris has garnered a lot of praise since being hired by Sean McVay and has been named as one of the top coordinators in the game by multiple outlets, including Pro Football Focus. And for good reason, with the Rams defense remaining a force once he took over from Brandon Staley after the 2021 season. Staley, of course, was hired by the neighboring Chargers as their new head coach.

Morris now returns to the fold in 2022 working with an even more talented Rams defense that features superstars such as Jalen Ramsey and Aaron Donald, as well as the addition of Bobby Wagner. Now, Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin is heaping praise on Morris as well, calling him one of the best coaches in the NFL. “I’ve been in the National Football League for over 20 years,” Tomlin said on the “Pivot Podcast.” “I know the coaches, and I know some of the guys being denied are in the top 32.

Raheem Morris is the best coach I know and have ever been around that don’t have a head job.” Morris will return for a second season with the Rams, looking to add another Super Bowl ring to his résumé, as he looks to prove that he is capable of being a head coach at the NFL level.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Raheem had some stars in that defense so he sucks.
~ PFF