Which QB has the highest floor?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I think Keenum has the higher floor, by a little bit..

Goff, by a very wide margin, has the higher ceiling.

I would start Keenum in Seattle... Dress Goff and if Keenum struggles, put Goff in.

Goff starts game 3 against Tampa.

I endorse this message.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
But what about Jon Kitna? Lol

I guess I gave Keenum too much credit....At this point, IMO, what do we have to lose, but if Fisher was not 100% sold on Goff, this in itself could be the issue and now the question looms, who will replace Jeff Fisher?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I guess I gave Keenum too much credit....At this point, IMO, what do we have to lose, but if Fisher was not 100% sold on Goff, this in itself could be the issue and now the question looms, who will replace Jeff Fisher?
It was truly the best comparison available and hard to dispute (at the time)
We all wanted Keenum to be the guy. I mean, we're the Rams. Home of the Grocer clerk to Superbowl MVP. If anyone could believe that lightning could strike, its us.
Unfortunately the lightning struck the gosh darn bus and blew out all its tires....
I'm being careful on the Fisher stuff, as the team has had ugly losses before, and bounced back with a good game.
If not, then it will be real ugly....

bluecoconuts

Legend
Respectfully, I disagree.
I think it puts more pressure on him.
On the road, hostile environment etc.

Typically I agree, it's only less pressure because game 2 there's extra pressure for wanting to win the first home game in LA for over 20 years. That's likely the most pressure the team will face this year.

Relwolf91

Starter
Name
Sean
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think this thread shows exactly what's wrong with the Rams QB position under the Fisher regime.

Why the heck does anyone care about the highest floor?

Somehow Rams fans have been brainwashed into thinking that "if only we can have a QB avoid losing the game, then our defense and RB is so good we can go better than 7-9!"

I'm sorry, but that's a loser philosophy from the get go. Floor does not matter. In every roster spot the philosophy should be highest ceiling, every player should be employed to help the team win -- not just "not lose".

This is especially true of the QB position, no other person on the field is so able to directly win a game. And somehow we've turned that unique opportunity for winning on its head and squandered it on being giddy over a QB that will "just suck the least"?

The better philosophy is you aim for the highest ceiling, and if the QB is having a bad floor day, THEN you count on your superior defense and elite RB to pick up the slack and win the game.

I think you may have only read the title of the thread because I also ask who has the highest ceiling in the post as well. And after asking about the highest floor and ceiling, I ask who would you start? I then say we should start Goff because he has the highest ceiling to win us games and he should grow with the team. I wanted to see the varying opinions of this matter and it seems that most fans here would like to see either Goff or Mannion start where as Fisher is most likely to start Keenum again which there lies the problem.

Last edited:

Relwolf91

Starter
Name
Sean
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Respectfully, I disagree.
I think it puts more pressure on him.
On the road, hostile environment etc.

I think there is way less pressure at home as well. I don't think us rams fans will boo him if he makes a mistake after witnessing What happened Monday night.

However, if Fisher starts Keenum again and he plays horrible again, I would not be surprised if fans start chanting "GOFF GOFF GOFF!!!"

nanotech

Rookie
I think there is way less pressure at home as well. I don't think us rams fans will boo him if he makes a mistake after witnessing What happened Monday night.

However, if Fisher starts Keenum again and he plays horrible again, I would not be surprised if fans start chanting "GOFF GOFF GOFF!!!"

You mean like fans didn't boo him at practice?

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
I think Keenum has the higher floor, by a little bit..

Goff, by a very wide margin, has the higher ceiling.

I would start Keenum in Seattle... Dress Goff and if Keenum struggles, put Goff in.

Goff starts game 3 against Tampa.

I was right there with ya until you had Goff starting game 3...IMO, he should start when he's ready, wasn't one Bradford enough for a decade? This Kid's not exactly built like Wentz or Newton while this O line remains remains suspect.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I was right there with ya until you had Goff starting game 3...IMO, he should start when he's ready, wasn't one Bradford enough for a decade? This Kid's not exactly built like Wentz or Newton while this O line remains remains suspect.

I'm assuming he's ready by then. I want them to actively work on getting him ready, not just wait. If he's not ready then I wouldn't play him, but I think he would be.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I think you may have only read the title of the thread ...
My apologies if my post came across as an attack your thread, that wasn't the intent. It was simply venting disbelief at how far away from sanity the Rams starting QB position has drifted.

I'm assuming he's ready by then. I want them to actively work on getting him ready, not just wait. If he's not ready then I wouldn't play him, but I think he would be.
I still don't get this, there needs to be a new meme like "7-9 ready" or "28-0 ready" or "didn't look like Dan Marino in preseason so can't ever dress ready".

I think wayyyy too much credence is being given to preseason. Preseason is supposed to be the time for looking lost, butt fumbles and crappy stats. Meanwhile, everyone swooned over Keenum's glossy preseason ... maybe it's time to re-think what being ready means?

For me, the definition of "ready" is the QB who gives the biggest chance to win, and Goff has been the most ready QB to win on this roster from the time they traded the 50 draft picks to take him. No he won't be perfect and yes he will make tons of rookie mistakes, but he's always been the only QB on the roster with a ceiling higher than 7-9.

My final comment is simply this: Deondre Francois. If you saw the Florida State-Ole Miss game, you saw a QB that looked nowhere "ready". He was timid, confused, had the deer in the headlights glaze, couldn't throw a pass, and was getting killed with 5 sacks in the first few minutes. It was awkwardly embarrassing watching him, and the Seminoles were losing 28-6 on their way to the worst upset of week 1.

But a funny thing happened. In yet another pathetic OL whiff Francois got pummeled by yet another vicious hit, but somehow he stood in there and delivered a touchdown pass. Suddenly everything clicked. He remembered he had been playing football all his life and was an elite QB, and led his team to a comeback rout. Yes, he was ready, even if everything screamed like he wasn't at first.

The only way to know for sure if Goff is "ready" is to play him and find out.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Unfortunately Keenums floor and ceiling are about the same. I'm not sure if Mannions floor is higher than Goffs. When Goff throws the ball, even just warming up, he looks the part of a true #1 QB. His release and follow through, just look like he was born to play QB, Mannions release looks slooow compared to Goff. Mannion may make the read quicker than Goff, but once Goff makes the decision to throw the ball it is almost on the receiver. And he can throw with touch and will improve on this with reps, when Mannion tries to get rid of the ball quick he only throws rockets IMO.

Fisher will not tip his hand til Friday,but I would not be surprised to see Goff see his first action this week at home, and then remain the starter for the next 17 games.

Monday night was Fishers practical joke on the NFL, seattle will try to copy what sf did, which will take them out of what they do real well and Goff will light them up.

At least thats what the voices in my head said when they were trying to make me feel better yesterday, I hope they are right this time.

Last edited: