Which QB do you rank after Winston & Mariota?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I'm not a fan of Hundley either.
I hope he's gone before he even becomes a consideration.

Trade down and let Cleveland have him.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
You can't fix Gabbert. There are guys that have the instincts and there are guys that don't. Gabbert doesn't have the instincts. When he's pressured, his instinct is to run backwards or protect himself. That doesn't work in the NFL. Gabbert also does not process things quickly on the field.

Gabbert has plenty of tools but he can't apply those tools in the NFL because he just doesn't have the natural ability needed.

I see the same thing in Hundley. He's almost a mirror image of Jason Campbell. Same strengths and weaknesses.

You can tell a lot about a QB by looking at how he handles pressure, Hundley shrinks in the face of pressure. He looks to protect himself, drops his eyes, and looks to run. That's just not successful in the NFL. Hell, Jason Campbell was behind a great OL in Washington early in his career and he still couldn't get the job done. Because he lacked the instincts.

Hundley lacks the instincts...and he's not a great enough thrower to compensate.
This +a million you said it better than I could have but I agree whole heartedly!

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
the attention paid to whether cordale jones was going to declare eligible after 3 good college starts tells you all you need to know about the QB quality in this years draft.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'd have to say Hundley, after watching the other ranked QB's at he Senior Bowl, and watching other's available tape/games. There's not much out there, guy's.

I wasn't high on anybody at the Senior Bowl, but was hoping that someone would impress me...nope.

I think Glennon, Foles, or Sanchez are way better options to compete with Sam Bradford. I'd take a chance on Hundley as a third QB, and don't ding him on not going to the Senior Bowl. I wish he would have gone, but maybe he's working on his pro game, getting prepared for the NFL.

Last edited:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I watched his every game, and he truly had one of the worst OL's in all of college football. I say this, being a UCLA fan, and knowing a little about offensive lines. our, Ram's line, was stellar in comparison. When he had a crack of time, I saw improvement from previous year's in moving in the pocket, and hitting progressions. He's very hard to evaluate though, in whole. He put up his numbers though, with NEVER having a good pass protecting line. I am certain of this fact. He's a hard worker, isn't afraid to ask for help, and wants to be great. I like that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I watched his every game, and he truly had one of the worst OL's in all of college football. I say this, being a UCLA fan, and knowing a little about offensive lines. our, Ram's line, was stellar in comparison. When he had a crack of time, I saw improvement from previous year's in moving in the pocket, and hitting progressions. He's very hard to evaluate though, in whole. He put up his numbers though, with NEVER having a good pass protecting line. I am certain of this fact. He's a hard worker, isn't afraid to ask for help, and wants to be great. I like that.

I'm pretty disappointed in the kid for not showing up to the Senior Bowl. I think it was a bad move on his part.

Doesn't affect my evaluation but it's disappointing.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm pretty disappointed in the kid for not showing up to the Senior Bowl. I think it was a bad move on his part.

Doesn't affect my evaluation but it's disappointing.

Yeah, that's what I can't get my head around. Why would his agent advise him not show up? I can understand if he had an injury, but if you truly want to be great as @DR RAM posted he would have embraced the opportunity and showcased his talents accordingly.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Yeah, that's what I can't get my head around. Why would his agent advise him not show up? I can understand if he had an injury, but if you truly want to be great as @DR RAM posted he would have embraced the opportunity and showcased his talents accordingly.
He didnt show up because he would have looked aweful and he knew it.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
He didnt show up because he would have looked aweful and he knew it.

That's one opinion

Not sure if it is the right one, but hey we'll never know.

I'll say this much (and it's an opinion) had Hundley and Nick Foles played on the same College team there's no doubt in my mind Hundley would have been the starter.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's one opinion

Not sure if it is the right one, but hey we'll never know.

I'll say this much (and it's an opinion) had Hundley and Nick Foles played on the same College team there's no doubt in my mind Hundley would have been the starter.

But in the end, what does that even mean?

Tebow and Cam Newton played on the same college team. Tebow was the starter.

Being the better college QB doesn't mean you'll be the better pro QB. Simply put, guys with Hundley's athleticism are going to have an advantage in college. But in the NFL, that advantage is usually gone and it turns into a disadvantage.

You might ask...why a disadvantage? Because Foles wasn't able to use his legs even against inferior college athletes, he had to learn to compensate. And by being forced compensate, he had to do the type of things that he'll be expected to do in the NFL...namely, maneuver and win from the pocket. Athletic QBs like Hundley didn't have to develop those same skills in college when they could fall back on their athleticism. So they're going to have to try to develop them in the pros. And you have to hope that the instinct to use their legs isn't so ingrained them by the time they hit the pros that they can't learn any different.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
But in the end, what does that even mean?

Tebow and Cam Newton played on the same college team. Tebow was the starter.

Being the better college QB doesn't mean you'll be the better pro QB. Simply put, guys with Hundley's athleticism are going to have an advantage in college. But in the NFL, that advantage is usually gone and it turns into a disadvantage.

You might ask...why a disadvantage? Because Foles wasn't able to use his legs even against inferior college athletes, he had to learn to compensate. And by being forced compensate, he had to do the type of things that he'll be expected to do in the NFL...namely, maneuver and win from the pocket. Athletic QBs like Hundley didn't have to develop those same skills in college when they could fall back on their athleticism. So they're going to have to try to develop them in the pros. And you have to hope that the instinct to use their legs isn't so ingrained them by the time they hit the pros that they can't learn any different.

Not sure how much Pac12 football you watch, my guess (and it's just a hunch) is maybe some but that's not your part of the country.

Nick Foles was a one yr wonder at Arizona, had all the measurable's one could ask for, had injury issues, again all I suggested was whom would have started had they played on the same team in college.

I'm happy for the guy (Foles) but the way I see it, Brett Hundley has way more upside...and equally more of bust potential in a strange way, wait...wtf I think I just agreed with you:D

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure how much Pac12 football you watch, my guess (and it's just a hunch) is maybe some but that's not your part of the country.

Nick Foles was a one yr wonder at Arizona, had all the measurable's one could ask for, had injury issues, again all I suggested was whom would have started had they played on the same team in college.

I'm happy for the guy (Foles) but the way I see it, Brett Hundley has way more upside...and equally more of bust potential in a strange way, wait...wtf I think I just agreed with you:D

Foles isn't really what I'd call an one year wonder. He was a three year starter. His senior year was easily his best but his previous two years were solid.

I do agree with you, Hundley likely would have started over him in college...in almost every system. (y)

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
He's a kid, advised by an agent, and by part of this logic, nobody would have turned the game down, and a lot of KIDS turned the game down. Working specifically on what he needs to work on, has absolutely nothing to do showcasing his current skills at an all-star game. That being said, again, I would have liked to see him, but we didn't see Mariota, or Winston either, and they aren't getting trashed for it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's a kid, advised by an agent, and by part of this logic, nobody would have turned the game down, and a lot of KIDS turned the game down. Working specifically on what he needs to work on, has absolutely nothing to do showcasing his current skills at an all-star game. That being said, again, I would have liked to see him, but we didn't see Mariota, or Winston either, and they aren't getting trashed for it.

Winston wasn't eligible and Mariota is injured.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Understood, however, these kids need to be better than this and we have to stop giving them a pass because they are kids. Hundley is mature and handles himself well, he should be able to make his own decisions. Also he did not have the collegiate career of Mariota & Winston. IMO, he had an opportunity to showcase his talents without Maritoa & Winston where he could have been the center of attention and took some snaps under center and he declined, IMO, a winner does not do that.

That being posted I still think he brings quite a bit to the table, but would have to sit a few years and get acclimated to a pro style attack.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Winston wasn't eligible and Mariota is injured.
I believe the NCAA gave quite a few players an exemption for not being Seniors, including, Hundley. What's Mariota's injury?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Understood, however, these kids need to be better than this and we have to stop giving them a pass because they are kids. Hundley is mature and handles himself well, he should be able to make his own decisions. Also he did not have the collegiate career of Mariota & Winston. IMO, he had an opportunity to showcase his talents without Maritoa & Winston where he could have been the center of attention and took some snaps under center and he declined, IMO, a winner does not do that.

That being posted I still think he brings quite a bit to the table, but would have to sit a few years and get acclimated to a pro style attack.
Ultimately, I'm sure Hundley did make his own decision, just as everyone that did, and everyone that didn't to accept an invitation. Giving him a pass, hmmm, no, I really thought he would be here and compete, wish he would have, for the third time now. Based on what I saw, he could have really helped himself, although, based on what I saw, he may have really helped himself. Wash? A bunch of players/winners, have passed on this game, and had great careers. IMO, he is already a winner in life. He's a good kid, he's intelligent, he's talented, he's even tempered, he works to get better. Whether or not he ends up being a great pro football player, which he has already accomplished in High School, and in college, remains to be played out.

I get it, because I used to get worked up in all of the hype about the Senior Bowl, I love the Senior Bowl, I love watching the best play the best, but let's face it, these are not the best playing the best anyhow. If Hundley is sitting on his ass right now, or partying, or on vacation, I'd have a different view about him. You are certainly entitled to your view on him, and I am entitled to mine. I have no trepidation about him as a player, person, or a football player, to this point. He needs to get better, at certain things, to be successful in the NFL. He knows that.

I think he's better than any QB who played at the Senior Bowl, and he's not the type of guy that needed to prove that, IMO. Only the draft will tell us, if this decision hurt him.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Here's an interesting thought experiment. For those that are well versed in last years draft: How would you rate those QBs and this years QBs top to bottom.

Last years class wasn't all that great but I think it was far better than this years class. I'm not sure Hundley or Petty would even crack the 3rd round in last years draft. If so, why are we considering using a 3rd round or above pick on them. I gotta say, they're all so bad, I'd rather not overdraft a Hundley in the 2nd and wait for the 5th round and just pick up whomevers there. Seriously, none of them really have starter material so you might as well just take the one left over and pray.... that Bradford stays healthy.