Which QB do you rank after Winston & Mariota?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can understand that.

Do you know much about Heinicke? I want to see more games before I get too high on the kid but I really like what I've seen thus far. Some people have compared him to Chase Daniel but he's much more athletic. Moves like Russell Wilson.(although he's more like Chase Daniel than Wilson as a passer)

Measured in at 6'1" on the dot at the Shrine game which was good for him. Many thought he'd be under 6'0". But I saw a lot of things I liked. If the rest of his film is like the film I've thus far, I might have him as my #3 QB...which will obviously be out there but I just am not a fan of this class outside the top two.

BTW, I just realized that Heinicke was #2 in the NCAA in 2014 in average yards per punt at 47.2 yards per punt.

We'd have a punter who could throw and a QB who could punt. :LOL:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Would you pick Hundley in the 2nd IF is available (I would)?
If we traded back to the 20's, unless their was an OT we had to have (Flowers) available, I'd take him in the 1st round....We need a QB

tahoe

Pro Bowler
If we traded back to the 20's, unless their was an OT we had to have (Flowers) available, I'd take him in the 1st round....We need a QB
Except the problem is that Hundley is not an nfl qb, he is an athlete. Just say no to Hundley the guy just doesnt have it. What you saw from Manziel in the nfl is what you will see from Hundley, same kind of player...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Except the problem is that Hundley is not an nfl qb, he is an athlete. Just say no to Hundley the guy just doesnt have it. What you saw from Manziel in the nfl is what you will see from Hundley, same kind of player...
Interesting....First, if Johnny F. Football were dedicated, I have no doubts he could be successful NFL QB...None....Second, Hundley has all the tools necessary to be very good in the NFL...All he needs if pro-style coaching. Third, they are entirely different players. In fact, I would guess that Johnny is a little better at locating secondary targets at this time...Brett needs some work, but is fixable....

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Interesting....First, if Johnny F. Football were dedicated, I have no doubts he could be successful NFL QB...None....Second, Hundley has all the tools necessary to be very good in the NFL...All he needs if pro-style coaching. Third, they are entirely different players. In fact, I would guess that Johnny is a little better at locating secondary targets at this time...Brett needs some work, but is fixable....
Hundley has the physical tools but not the mental ones... Just watch any of his games and he doesnt look good. He doesnt have the instincts, he looks to run first, he takes to long to make decisions, and thats at the college level. Nfl defenses will eat him alive. The history of the nfl is littered with qbs that had tons of physical talent but couldn't gandle the mental part of the game. I would much rather have a less physically talented guy that can handle the mental part of the game than the opposite.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Just watch any of his games and he doesnt look good......The history of the nfl is littered with qbs that had tons of physical talent but couldn't gandle the mental part of the game.
Hmm, http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/511982/brett-hundley
Check the Memphis, Arizona State, Washington, USC, and Kansas State. Seems pretty good to me...The NFL is littered with tons of players that had tons of physical talent but couldn't handle the mental part of the game...That's what the NFL is, a league where the best of the best physically compete...Some make it, most don't...There is still a 3 year average career length...That's it....We can try and find a miracle in the 4th, 5th, 6th, & 7th rounds but good luck with that. He is probably our best option.....Hell, I'm all for drafting another QB in 2016 too.....

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I don't care about stats, I'm talking about actually watching play during the game. He just doesn't have it in my book. I'm not going to be able to convince you but there are many qbs I would rather draft ahead of Hundley.

FRO

Legend
IMO, unless you put Mariota is the right offense, he really isn't any better than the others.

1) Trade up or select Winston.
2) Use a 5th round or later selection on Nick Marshall and trade for Mike Glennon.
I'm in a similar boat. As far as the draft it's Winston or nothing at the QB position. I think we need a veteran option at QB.

FRO

Legend
Is awareness and instincts a tool or is it something that can be learned? That's the big question. I see a lot of Blaine Gabbert in Hundley's game. I don't like QBs who drop their head or panic in the pocket. He holds on to the ball far too long at times indicating he isn't seeing the field all too well. You love the size, athleticism, and arm strength. If you feel as if you can mold him, then go for it. There hasn't been a long list of QBs that have ironed that part of their game out.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Petty for me as well. Good size, arm, and thows an accurate deep ball.

Project yes but a known workaholic and I respect that he showed to the Senior Bowl.

I think the Rams drop down to 20s and take him there or in the 2nd round.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I don't care about stats, I'm talking about actually watching play during the game. He just doesn't have it in my book. I'm not going to be able to convince you but there are many qbs I would rather draft ahead of Hundley.
You don't care about stats....Okay........Name some QB's not named Winston you'd rather see in horns? You don't care about stats.....not a big stat man meself, but the dude can play, and has, well, nice stats...

tahoe

Pro Bowler
You don't care about stats....Okay........Name some QB's not named Winston you'd rather see in horns? You don't care about stats.....not a big stat man meself, but the dude can play, and has, well, nice stats...
I mean obviously stats matter but its not stats that concern me with Hundley, the dude cant play. I would rather draft Winston, Mariota, Petty, Grayson, and Mannion in that order before Id draft Hundley. Hell Id rather take a late round shot on Brandon Bridge than an early round selection of Hundley, similar athlete but not wasting a high round pick.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Is awareness and instincts a tool or is it something that can be learned? That's the big question. I see a lot of Blaine Gabbert in Hundley's game. I don't like QBs who drop their head or panic in the pocket. He holds on to the ball far too long at times indicating he isn't seeing the field all too well. You love the size, athleticism, and arm strength. If you feel as if you can mold him, then go for it. There hasn't been a long list of QBs that have ironed that part of their game out.
Interesting comparison....I actually liked Gabbert...Seriously, think someone could fix him....Awareness....yeah that can be worked on, film study with reps...Knowing were your reads are, where receivers are gonna be...Working on footwork so your able to move in the pocket, then deliver an accurate pass on time...Yes, QB camps/guru's/and serious film study can improve ones awareness on the field...Instincts..by it's very nature/wording, must be something you're born with...Not sure he has bad instincts...His line was poor so he ran...I think he's had a terrible O-Line for the last 3 years at UCLA...So with his skill-set he choose to run...Could he have kept his eyes down field better? Of course...Can this be worked on? surely...Check out a couple of scrambling QB's like Rodgers & Russell Wilson...They have/are evolving as we write this...In fact, Russell uses running to win more than he loses almost every week. Whereas Rodgers really actually runs, only in critical downs...He's the best I've seen in some time...And without his running skill, wouldn't be the player he is today...
I think working behind a poor o-line can forge truly great QB's...it can also ruin decent ones real quick..Instead of criticizing Hundley for running too quick, we should celebrate him for surviving 3 seasons and be thankful that he'll come somewhat battle tested in a rough Pac-12 conference. Able to make plays with his feet, as well as his arm....

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Interesting comparison....I actually liked Gabbert...Seriously, think someone could fix him....Awareness....yeah that can be worked on, film study with reps...Knowing were your reads are, where receivers are gonna be...Working on footwork so your able to move in the pocket, then deliver an accurate pass on time...Yes, QB camps/guru's/and serious film study can improve ones awareness on the field...Instincts..by it's very nature/wording, must be something you're born with...Not sure he has bad instincts...His line was poor so he ran...I think he's had a terrible O-Line for the last 3 years at UCLA...So with his skill-set he choose to run...Could he have kept his eyes down field better? Of course...Can this be worked on? surely...Check out a couple of scrambling QB's like Rodgers & Russell Wilson...They have/are evolving as we write this...In fact, Russell uses running to win more than he loses almost every week. Whereas Rodgers really actually runs, only in critical downs...He's the best I've seen in some time...And without his running skill, wouldn't be the player he is today...
I think working behind a poor o-line can forge truly great QB's...it can also ruin decent ones real quick..Instead of criticizing Hundley for running too quick, we should celebrate him for surviving 3 seasons and be thankful that he'll come somewhat battle tested in a rough Pac-12 conference. Able to make plays with his feet, as well as his arm....

You can't fix Gabbert. There are guys that have the instincts and there are guys that don't. Gabbert doesn't have the instincts. When he's pressured, his instinct is to run backwards or protect himself. That doesn't work in the NFL. Gabbert also does not process things quickly on the field.

Gabbert has plenty of tools but he can't apply those tools in the NFL because he just doesn't have the natural ability needed.

I see the same thing in Hundley. He's almost a mirror image of Jason Campbell. Same strengths and weaknesses.

You can tell a lot about a QB by looking at how he handles pressure, Hundley shrinks in the face of pressure. He looks to protect himself, drops his eyes, and looks to run. That's just not successful in the NFL. Hell, Jason Campbell was behind a great OL in Washington early in his career and he still couldn't get the job done. Because he lacked the instincts.

Hundley lacks the instincts...and he's not a great enough thrower to compensate.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Petty for me as well. Good size, arm, and thows an accurate deep ball.

Project yes but a known workaholic and I respect that he showed to the Senior Bowl.

I think the Rams drop down to 20s and take him there or in the 2nd round.

I will legitimately consider quitting being a fan of this team if this happens...I mean, not really...but I'll be seriously peeved.

And it might turn me into a resentful, old grump like a certain poster on the PD board. :LOL:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I will legitimately consider quitting being a fan of this team if this happens...I mean, not really...but I'll be seriously peeved.

And it might turn me into a resentful, old grump like a certain poster on the PD board. :LOL:
Old jrry