Which players take the next step to elite status this year?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
The two best players on the team are Donald and Quinn. Donald will give JJ Watt a run for his money as best player of the league. I'm starting to think that Watt's numbers are inflated because he plays Jacksonville, Tennessee, and Indianapolis twice each year. Watt had 20.5 sacks last year playing all 16 games. In the six games against those teams he amassed 14 sacks. The other 10 games he had 6.5 sacks.

Anyway 2015 is the year in which Donald overtakes J.J. Watt as best player in the league.

Big Willie

Starter
I look at elite as a top 5 player in the league (at their position). Quinn and Donald are considered to be exceptional, so a step to elite status would not be surprising. JJ has the talent, but elite status at corner is a tough step with a number of established NFL players consistently at that level. I see him as going from good to very good, but not elite. I can see McDonald and Ogletree becoming elite at their positions and becoming a top 5 player at their position. (Ogletree can do that with interceptions and sacks.) I also think Fairly has a chance to take that step as well. The other players on defense with never get to elite status IMO, but that doesn't mean they aren't quality players.

Johnny Hekker is already there. Zurlein has the talent to become elite, we shall see if he can take that step.

On the offensive side, the only person who has performed at that level is Nick Foles, but again elite is a tough group to crack at QB. My hope for him, Britt, Quick, Mason, Cook, Kendricks, Austin, Bailey and Saffold is that they go from talented, "occasional" performers to consistent very good players. Then we need Robinson, Havenstein and Brown to go talents to a steady and developing performers. The only other player (other than Foles) I think can become elite is Gurley and that probably won't happen in year 1.

If everyone consistently does their jobs, 3-4 elite players on defense and 0-1 on offense will be enough to get them to the playoffs. If Foles is that player on offense, there is a playoff run in our future.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The presence of Gurley is going to make Tre Mason elevate his game. Mason is gonna try to make it tough for Todd to get on the field.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
As far as becoming an elite player, I always want our QB to become elite. That usually means good things. But I realistically don't expect any of our offensive players to be elite.

I would put my money on Ogletree. He's always had that ability. He's entering year 3 where a lot of the good players are ready to step up and be that guy. My second choice would be McDonald.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Britt - Great
Bailey - Great, the guy is going to be one if not Fole's favorite WR, he's just going to make plays over and over and over
Quinn - Elite
Donald - Elite
Brockers - Great - Elite, wont have the stats but people that know the game will know
McDonald - Great - Elite, another year
Olgeltree - Great
Mason - Great to Elite, I think getting Gurley playing time is going to be a really hard decision after Mason gets even better
Austin - Average, I just think he is too small and not good enough hands to make a huge impact other then PR
Pead - Very Very Good only because he will emerge as the third RB, People and defenses are going to be very surprised when he gets the ball, The defenses will be like WTF how many top RB's do these guys have after getting pounded all game. I know no one agrees with me but I've seen Pead run and the guy has the potential to be a really good RB. The Rams did not draft him in the second round for nothing. Don't write him off.
The Rams if played right by Cigs and health have the potential to have one of the most devastating running games ever. They have four RB's that can punish defenses hard all game long....IMHO
You mention Quinn, Donald, and Brockers, But NO mention of Chris Long! I'm curious, Why!?!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
27 yr old OL'er Rodger Saffold would seem to be ready to finally make the next real big step.

Rodger is the youthful leader in this 2015 Ram OL. His career has been hampered very early with injury after injury after injury. He has the talent & ability to dominate @ Left OG this season. How long has it been since the Rams have had an elite Left OG......many decades....

I think Rodger is ready poised to blow up the defenses this season.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Big Willie's definition of elite makes for an interesting discussion of Ram player chances to be included. Top 5 at their respective positions, that is.

Quinn, Donald, and Hekker are already there.

Some possible future candidates that look like they could make it... Emphasis "future".

McDonald
Ogletree
GRob (because of his perceived high ceiling)
Saffold
Gurley

Some long shots that, if everything breaks just right, conceivably might deserve such a ranking one day...

Foles
Jenkins
Gaines
Zuerlein

Admittedly, those last 4 require some squinting and wearing rose colored glasses, perhaps. Lol.

Lots of other fine players on our roster, but I don't see any of them as realistic future top 5 at their positions at this time.

Fairley, for example, would be my 3rd best DT on just our own team until he proves otherwise.

Obvious disclaimer is that this type of list is very subjective by it's very nature.

So, some opinions may vary.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think he has already reached his peak. The others have not imo. Still a great playe.
'If ' his career goes anything like his Dad's, he hasn't peaked yet. He's just getting going!!

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
They can all be considered bums by the media and other fans for all I care I just want to win and beat down every team in the nfc west.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I consider Chris Long a "real fine" football player, but certainly not elite. Not even by Big Willie's definition.

But Long is a tremendous asset to our team, nonetheless.

BTW, you almost have to be a Chuck Knox fan going back to the 73-77 era to fully appreciate that "real fine" comment.

He made me chuckle every time he used that brief phrase. And believe me, he used that phrase a LOT. Lol.

Man, those were good times. Except for the danged playoffs. Sigh...

RamWoodie

Legend
I think Quick can step up to elite status if he remains healthy. I don't know that until I see that the shoulder is not a problem.

McDonald is also a good candidate at safety.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Man I love those uniforms. The high blue socks against that yellow. Luscious.

I give Jenkins credit on one thing; he hussled all the way to the end though.

He should hustle all the way to the end after screwing up. It would be worse if he stopped running or slowed down.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zy5awRMfgDQ

He jumped the route, which he wasn't supposed to do. But McLeod screwed up where he was supposed to be on the field. But I'd like to know where the other four 50 yard touchdowns he gave up are.

I thought this play was zone, and McLeod had the deep middle while Jenkins had the deep left. It wasn't McLeod's fault.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope its Greg Robinson.
I looked through everyone's guesses, and you are the only one to mention him. I don't think Rams people think of him as a bust, but are accepting that he isn't going to be great...just good.

I totally disagree.

He has all of the tools to be a Hall of Fameer, and many said just that before he was drafted by us. I think he was confused by the speed of the game and his being switched back and forth from LG to LT in his rookie year. No kids are going to be wearing his jersey at games, but watch out for this kid to live up to his potential, and become the guy we always thought he COULD be. Greg Robinson, there is no substitute.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I looked through everyone's guesses, and you are the only one to mention him. I don't think Rams people think of him as a bust, but are accepting that he isn't going to be great...just good.

I totally disagree.

He has all of the tools to be a Hall of Fameer, and many said just that before he was drafted by us. I think he was confused by the speed of the game and his being switched back and forth from LG to LT in his rookie year. No kids are going to be wearing his jersey at games, but watch out for this kid to live up to his potential, and become the guy we always thought he COULD be. Greg Robinson, there is no substitute.

I agree with what you said. I had posted before we drafted him that he was a tough eval since there was no tape of him in which he was pass blocking on an island. He always had help and that scared me. I have seen enough that he can improve there and he clearly has the tools.

His growth and development are so important this year. Cant wait to see what he looks like with a whole offseason to prepare!

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
First name that came to mind for me is Mason. He is going to be playing hard to keep Gurley in rehab and could be approaching 1000 yards from scrimmage before Gurley smells the field. Great problem to have.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
First name that came to mind for me is Mason. He is going to be playing hard to keep Gurley in rehab and could be approaching 1000 yards from scrimmage before Gurley smells the field. Great problem to have.

As much as I like Mason I hope your wrong. I'm ready to see Gurley toting the rock sooner rather than later. He has way more talent than Mason. They will make one hell of a one two punch though.