Which player(s) might have a "blowup" awesome camp?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Seems to happen every year, huh? Some player just explodes on the scene and unexpectedly makes the 53. Sometimes even claiming a starter's spot.

I'm intrigued by this Franks kid at RB.

Will Donnal, Wichmann, or Battle surprise the kids with the supposed inside track on OL?

How about Trinca-Passat or Ifedi for 8th or 9th on DL? Might one of them force the coaches to keep a 9th because of outstanding play?

What about Ayers at LB? Or Bates? The rookie Bryce Hager kid?

I suspect that CB might be more competitive than many suspect. Anybody else intrigued by Roberson's potential in his second year? Wouldn't surprise me one bit to see some shuffling of personnel at CB come opening day. I think Jenkins and Tru are gonna be feeling some heat this camp.

Snead has a very good track record of finding gems in the late rounds and certainly UDFA, so I really kinda expect a pleasant surprise or two there again this year.

Players like Chase Reynolds might find it VERY difficult to make the final 53 this year.

Anybody have other players to keep a sharp eye on?

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I think Joyner is gonna have a big year at nickle. They didn't trade up to get him just for the hell of it. This kid can play.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I found it interesting Mo Alexander practiced with the ones during OTA's. He's kinda like Barron, maybe he sees more playing time switching with Barron?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I figure Joyner will have a pretty good camp. But I think, after his comments at the Draft, after we took him, " The Teams that didn't take me are going to regret it" (or words to that effect!) I'll go with Trinca-Passat, He seems like a real naste guy! AND I LOVE NASTE GUYS!!:D

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have no real ideal "Which player(s) might have a "blowup" awesome camp?"

I would not be surprised if SS Mark Barron who has never fit in in Tamp Bay & is perfect fit here would be one. Another DB if healthy in TC should turn many heads is Lamarcus Joyner. I also expect that DL Ethan Westbrooks to be the biggest surprise in that cadre.

I also believe the 3 rookie RB's Brown, Franks & Laskey will be very feisty & interesting too. I look for RB Pead to flash big also. I really think TE Alex Bayer will end up being mentioned here on a ton of posts mostly praise of his hands & snachability factor. Of the WR's it should be Stedman Bailey show.:bueller:

V3

Hall of Fame
I found it interesting Mo Alexander practiced with the ones during OTA's. He's kinda like Barron, maybe he sees more playing time switching with Barron?
I thought I read he was playing with the ones because one or two of the normal starters were sitting out for various reasons? Maybe I'm thinking of another position?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I thought I read he was playing with the ones because one or two of the normal starters were sitting out for various reasons? Maybe I'm thinking of another position?

From what I can recall it was an unknown leg injury to our starter TJ McDonald & along with another something that kept Mark Barron completely out of OTA's. Mo missed OTA's last season so he go an full opportunity to run with the ones during OTA's.

In truth there was no real need for young vets TJ & Mark to run heavy in OTA's. It was Mo who needed to get a leg up on what he can do. If you have invested a 4th rd'er & many say a serious reach at that for Mo ...Gregg needed to see & needed to get Mo up to speed.

Once TC begins it may be hard to see much of MO playing with the one & two defenses. Mo is the Rams 3rd string strong safety with little chance of beating our TJ & Mark. Gregg has another 2nd string FS (Davis) who backs up McLeod that can play the strong safety position too. Then there's 1st yr Christian Bryant who is also a SS with some FS skills too. Even Nickleback Lamarcus Joyner played two seasons @ FSU @ SS & he played it @ a high level.

Gregg is simply overloaded with Strong Safeties types.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Fixed it for ya Boni...Seriously, doesn't everyone agree, safeties are now a blend of both attributes...Some lean toward deep coverage, some lean toward the box like LB's....and while it seems as if we have an abundance of SS, I still feel McDonald, Alexander, Bryant, and even Barron have the talent to rotate deep, in the FS role and become adequate. It's all about reading the field and angles...Snisher wanted interchangeable...he has that now.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I have no real ideal "Which player(s) might have a "blowup" awesome camp?"

I would not be surprised if SS Mark Barron who has never fit in in Tamp Bay & is perfect fit here would be one. Another DB if healthy in TC should turn many heads is Lamarcus Joyner. I also expect that DL Ethan Westbrooks to be the biggest surprise in that cadre.

I also believe the 3 rookie RB's Brown, Franks & Laskey will be very feisty & interesting too. I look for RB Pead to flash big also. I really think TE Alex Bayer will end up being mentioned here on a ton of posts mostly praise of his hands & snachability factor. Of the WR's it should be Stedman Bailey show.:bueller:
I was with you till the Pead part lol.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm intrigued by Malcolm Brown and Franks.

Personally; it feels like Jamon Brown could be the guy that comes out of camp that everyone is talking about.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
From what I can recall it was an unknown leg injury to our starter TJ McDonald & along with another something that kept Mark Barron completely out of OTA's. Mo missed OTA's last season so he go an full opportunity to run with the ones during OTA's.

In truth there was no real need for young vets TJ & Mark to run heavy in OTA's. It was Mo who needed to get a leg up on what he can do. If you have invested a 4th rd'er & many say a serious reach at that for Mo ...Gregg needed to see & needed to get Mo up to speed.

Once TC begins it may be hard to see much of MO playing with the one & two defenses. Mo is the Rams 3rd string strong safety with little chance of beating our TJ & Mark. Gregg has another 2nd string FS (Davis) who backs up McLeod that can play the strong safety position too. Then there's 1st yr Christian Bryant who is also a SS with some FS skills too. Even Nickleback Lamarcus Joyner played two seasons @ FSU @ SS & he played it @ a high level.

I still think Mo is destined to move up to LB. He's a superb athlete and played some LB in college too I believe. He might be a bit lean right now, but if he can bulk up some and keep his speed...yikes!

A guy I'd like to hear more about is the Ferguson cat from Pine Bluffs? I mean for real, a 6'5" receiver?! I can't help but start dreaming about some deep fade routes or back corner end zone lobs. I don't care how 'raw' he is, teach him to run 2 or 3 routes and let him go up for it!

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
I'm just hoping the Oline gets settled so they can start building some chemistry with one another.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Our entire defense.

If our o can learn to fight against our d. We will be playoff bound.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I'll agree with @BonifayRam on Pead. He's got talent, and before his ACL was also flashing work ethic, what with his excellent contributions on ST. And being behind Mason, Gurley and Cunningham on the roster... man, the guy's gotta come out with fire and brimstone and run angry, or his NFL career could be over.

Never underestimate a wild NFL bubble player forced into a corner.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'll agree with @BonifayRam on Pead. He's got talent, and before his ACL was also flashing work ethic, what with his excellent contributions on ST. And being behind Mason, Gurley and Cunningham on the roster... man, the guy's gotta come out with fire and brimstone and run angry, or his NFL career could be over.

Never underestimate a wild NFL bubble player forced into a corner.

First, let me say that I always respect and enjoy reading your opinions, Dewey.

I'm trying to keep an open mind on Pead. DCH. But it sure ain't easy.

Biggest draft mistake of the S&F era. And it's not even close unless you count the trade down with Chicago that cost us Bobby Wagner and made the Pead pick possible in the first place.

Pead has been a monumental 3 year bust. I'm not gonna sugarcoat it.

Had he even approached his perceived potential, S&F would have never felt the need to spend a 3rd on Mason much less a 1st on Gurley.

And where were these "excellent contributions" on ST? I sure missed that. Plus, are we reduced to lauding ST contributions of a 2nd rounder to justify keeping him on the 53? Cunningham is a better KR. Tavon is a better PR. And we have no shortage of coverage ST players, that's for sure.

I'm not a big Pead fan, obviously. A disappointing pick that is clinging to 4th string status, at best. I think he's a goner come September.

Next time, I'm not gonna hold back. Lol.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
First, let me say that I always respect and enjoy reading your opinions, Dewey.

I'm trying to keep an open mind on Pead. DCH. But it sure ain't easy.

Biggest draft mistake of the S&F era. And it's not even close unless you count the trade down with Chicago that cost us Bobby Wagner and made the Pead pick possible in the first place.

Pead has been a monumental 3 year bust. I'm not gonna sugarcoat it.

Had he even approached his perceived potential, S&F would have never felt the need to spend a 3rd on Mason much less a 1st on Gurley.

And where were these "excellent contributions" on ST? I sure missed that. Plus, are we reduced to lauding ST contributions of a 2nd rounder to justify keeping him on the 53? Cunningham is a better KR. Tavon is a better PR. And we have no shortage of coverage ST players, that's for sure.

I'm not a big Pead fan, obviously. A disappointing pick that is clinging to 4th string status, at best. I think he's a goner come September.

Next time, I'm not gonna hold back. Lol.
Hey, the guy hasn't performed as a RB. I get that. The ST contributions were on coverage, which is why I pointed to them as evidence of his work ethic growing... a guy who was tentative, maybe even lazy, turned himself into something of a difference maker on the coverage unit.

2nd round value? Hell no. But a start. And because the biggest thing we questioned from the start was Pead's heart, it was a very good sign that he took the grunt work and took it seriously.

I'm not predicting that Pead will suddenly have spent the past three years as a worthy contributor to the team, but he does have talent. And he was working up to the point where the effort matched the underlying skillset when he tore his ACL.

Bottom line is, he's on the roster right now, and he can offer multiple things - coverage, maybe share KR duties with Benny (who I think, despite his good average, is not a particularly good KR, because he lacks explosiveness... he gives you consistent positive yardage, but is rarely a threat to do much real damage... JMO of course), a pass-catcher out of the backfield, a speed guy to hit the edges. And I think that, if he keeps his head on straight and has continued his dedication to taking football seriously, he'll be coming into camp backed into a corner and ready to fight.

I'll not really go into the Wagner thing, as it doesn't really apply to Pead... even if he goes off, takes the lead RB position, rips off 1200 yards and 10 TDs, we still missed out on Wagner (and David) in that 2nd round, and that still sucks. But it's irrelevant to Pead.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Its no surprise, but the young offensive linemen are going to have fits trying to keep Donald out of the backfield.

In my wishful thinking category, I would love to see the light go on for Tavon Austin. He's the one guy who can make defensive coordinators uneasy if he ever gets it. Year three is the time if its ever gonna happen.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Its no surprise, but the young offensive linemen are going to have fits trying to keep Donald out of the backfield.

In my wishful thinking category, I would love to see the light go on for Tavon Austin. He's the one guy who can make defensive coordinators uneasy if he ever gets it. Year three is the time if its ever gonna happen.
You think Week 1 against Seattle, Havenstein and Brown get through a couple of drives and go "Dude, when do they start playing like NFL defenders? Aaron and Robert would have pantsed us both three times, stolen our lunch money, and eaten our QB raw by now."

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
You think Week 1 against Seattle, Havenstein and Brown get through a couple of drives and go "Dude, when do they start playing like NFL defenders? Aaron and Robert would have pantsed us both three times, stolen our lunch money, and eaten our QB raw by now."

Lol, thats the upside with going up against the best players in the league. Against everyone else it'll prolly feel like they're getting a break. The downside, it can be good for the confidence getting owned in practice every day.