Which O position group will have the most new faces in '17?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gonna go with wideout 43. I see 50% turnover with that group, with a minimum of 3 of 6 being new next year.

The three I see departing...

If Britt was a good leader he would have shown up for Jared to help the kid get ready, and would have ensured the rest of the wideouts did too. But he didn't because he's garbage. And he's inconsistent as F, not the kind of team-first guy who can show up on gameday and be counted on that this team needs.

Quick same deal. Another garbage @$$ player whose time has run out in horns and good effin riddance. Perennial tease who can take his show somewhere else as far as I'm concerned.

Marquez is a smart player on special teams, the kind of guy you can trust, but he will lose that bottom roster spot to a better special teams player this season.

The holdovers...

Austin is going to return because nobody is going to want him in trade and we're gonna have to eat another season of his contract. I wanted him traded last offseason because he wasn't a fit for this offense and some folks called me nuts, but while it doesn't look like he's ever going to be a real wideout with his iffy hands and poor catch radius there is a chance he fires off a bit under this staff which is really our best hope. Oh and btw him not showing up to support Jared is nearly as bad as Britt, given that he just got a huge contract and this corps could have used positive leadership from him vice that grade school BS; dude missed an opportunity there IMO.

Cooper missed out on what might have been a really good rookie WR season due to injury. He is a guy I think is going to settle in as a solid Y/Z option for us and who will be someone Goff trusts relatively quickly.

Lastly Thomas impressed the hell out of me as a gunner and is at the least going to make this roster as a core special teams player. He has some really strong pursuit and tackling instincts, to the point where I'd actually like to see him tried at safety, but yeah he's definitely going to be in horns next year.

The additions...

When you consider the Rams have two Y/Z guys returning, they need to bring in someone who can line up at X and actually win some snaps. IMO their top addition this season will be Alshon Jeffery. I think they'll go balls-out and get him because he's a perfect fit for what they need. Add him and all of a sudden our wideout starting group looks pretty good.

The second wideout will be a more affordable addition, a vet type. There's a lot of options there, but it will be someone who runs good routes and can be counted on.

Third guy will be drafted at some point and will compete with a fresh crop of UDFAs.

Pretty much agree with your entire post, Merlin.

With the slight exception that I think you're being a bit too harsh regarding Britt.

Yeah, we both see a likely 67% turnover at starting WR, and that's assuming that Tavon remains a starter. No sure thing, imo. Could be a 100% starter turnover, actually.

But we could also see an 80% turnover on OL starters vs the '16 starters at their same positions.

THAT would be a sea change in that position group.

But you know what? I'm okay with both possibilities. In fact, I think common sense demands such degrees of change.

The old O staff was that clueless, I think.

This new staff strikes me as one that "gets it" and has zero loyalty to the Fisher guys. There's gonna be a lot of new faces on our O come September. Thank Gawd!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I expect three new starters on the offensive line with hope that Cowboys Guard Ronald Leary is at left guard and at WR would not be shocked if Austin is the only holdover with DeSean Jackson and maybe a rookie the other starter as well.

I think I heard Copper from McVay as a guy he looks forward to working with ??

I also think no one is talking about RB ??
Bennie is a FA & Tre went AWOL ?? Who is Gurleys back up . Have not seen that posted.When Chase Reynolds is yourback up RB your team is in need.Ge did earn it in preseason .Sad state.I do like Aaron Green though & Brown looks like a thumper.It's about making yourself better in year 2 & especially 3 ?

Center is for sure a big positionof need. When Fisher kept Rhaney I knew The Rams were in serious trouble .

Donnell is gone. The dude was a wasted pick . He did cut his hair & bulked up.Still think he plays slow & soft.
Wichmann I thought would be better. Jamon Brown is not serious enough.He is like a soft Teddy Bear.It''s about the off season.

Saffold no way in heck will be at Tackle.I think the coaching staff is going to get his butt straight or shipped out.

The offense line is so young & took a step back . These guys are under contract & coming into year 3. I think it starts inner self & then with Komer it will get straightened out.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I see us keeping four wideouts: Austin, Cooper, Thomas, and Spruce. I have high hopes for Austin in this offense. Cooper could be an excellent slot receiver, Thomas is already a stud at special teams, and Spruce intrigues me. Good riddance to Britt and Quick. Marquez is a great special teams player, but he's simply not a good offensive player. I could see us adding one (or two) wide receiver(s) such as Jeffery, Garcon, Stills, or Wheaton.

Offensive line, I expect to see at least three different faces as starters. I expect Saffold and Barnes to be cut, while Wichmann would be ideal in switching to center. Jamon Brown remains my favorite to start at left/right guard, while Havenstein is the incumbent at right tackle. I'll give G-Rob another chance at left tackle with Kromer working with him. Donnal can stay or go, it doesn't matter to me. Rhaney is as good as gone. I could see a Larry Warford, J.C. Tretter, or Ronald Leary added to the interior.

Tight end, I think Kendricks is going to be cut. Too much money for his lack of production. Higbee and Hemingway are ideal for McVay's offense. I love how Harkey plays, but I don't know how he fits. But he's a great blocking tight end, so hopefully they keep him around for another year.

Running back could use someone behind Gurley and Cunningham. I don't trust Brown or Green to help carry the load, and Reynolds' pure special teams can be easily replaced. I don't want to lose Cunningham to free agency.

Keenum is gone. We might add a third quarterback as an UDFA.

So, overall, we have three running backs, one tight end (maybe two), three wide receivers, potentially four offensive linemen, and one quarterback going to either be cut, gone via free agency, or released during season cuts.

Of course, this is just my honest opinion, and I am probably not going to be right. :p

bluecoconuts

Legend
I think the WR group will see a lot of changeover. Other than Austin, I'm not sure that McVay cares much for anyone else, and if the draft is deep at the receiver position as people are saying, then they may get some quality players there.

Keeping Thomas and Cooper could happen since they were drafted last year, I would also like to keep Britt because he was the best reciever in the NFL last year when running crossing routes, but I don't know if McVay thinks high enough of him, and how Fishers departure will affect Britt's play.

I think that Cooper, Thomas and Spruce all battle it out in TC, Austin is probably safe, other than that I don't know. Of those 4, I think only 2 may stick.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Pretty much agree with your entire post, Merlin.

With the slight exception that I think you're being a bit too harsh regarding Britt.

Yeah, we both see a likely 67% turnover at starting WR, and that's assuming that Tavon remains a starter. No sure thing, imo. Could be a 100% starter turnover, actually.

But we could also see an 80% turnover on OL starters vs the '16 starters at their same positions.

THAT would be a sea change in that position group.

But you know what? I'm okay with both possibilities. In fact, I think common sense demands such degrees of change.

The old O staff was that clueless, I think.

This new staff strikes me as one that "gets it" and has zero loyalty to the Fisher guys. There's gonna be a lot of new faces on our O come September. Thank Gawd!

Yeah I think this is finally the regime that will reward the optimists among us lol. And I forgot about Spruce, who definitely will get a look by this new staff and I think if he's healthy him and Thomas make a pretty nice bottom of the roster.

Re: OL the way I see it is Saffold is set at LT because they won't be able to find anyone better than him for next season on the FA market outside of a very old option who comes with a lot of risk. So IMO they'll go with him and build from the inside. And on the inside Brown is a nice player, or he will be here soon, as will Havenstein. So they need two starters the way I see it so I'm guessing one FA and one draft pick, OG and C. From there the depth isn't all that bad except for LT, and there are some holdovers on the depth chart who might be capable of backing up.

So even though OL has more numbers I don't think they're looking at it as an overhaul, but rather a "bring in a key vet and draft a damn center." That's my hope at least, because we can't fix everything and they gotta spend some draft capital on CB, DE and LB as well and early in this draft both CB and DE are very well represented for where we're picking in round 2 and 3.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's because the defense was always on the field

g041579

UDFA
Name
Phil
I see the Rams getting a free agent center and getting a center in the draft. The center position

was the weakness position on the line. You have to be strong up the middle in order to

get the running game going. GO RAMS

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I see us keeping four wideouts: Austin, Cooper, Thomas, and Spruce. I have high hopes for Austin in this offense. Cooper could be an excellent slot receiver, Thomas is already a stud at special teams, and Spruce intrigues me. Good riddance to Britt and Quick. Marquez is a great special teams player, but he's simply not a good offensive player. I could see us adding one (or two) wide receiver(s) such as Jeffery, Garcon, Stills, or Wheaton.

Offensive line, I expect to see at least three different faces as starters. I expect Saffold and Barnes to be cut, while Wichmann would be ideal in switching to center. Jamon Brown remains my favorite to start at left/right guard, while Havenstein is the incumbent at right tackle. I'll give G-Rob another chance at left tackle with Kromer working with him. Donnal can stay or go, it doesn't matter to me. Rhaney is as good as gone. I could see a Larry Warford, J.C. Tretter, or Ronald Leary added to the interior.

Tight end, I think Kendricks is going to be cut. Too much money for his lack of production. Higbee and Hemingway are ideal for McVay's offense. I love how Harkey plays, but I don't know how he fits. But he's a great blocking tight end, so hopefully they keep him around for another year.

Running back could use someone behind Gurley and Cunningham. I don't trust Brown or Green to help carry the load, and Reynolds' pure special teams can be easily replaced. I don't want to lose Cunningham to free agency.

Keenum is gone. We might add a third quarterback as an UDFA.

So, overall, we have three running backs, one tight end (maybe two), three wide receivers, potentially four offensive linemen, and one quarterback going to either be cut, gone via free agency, or released during season cuts.

Of course, this is just my honest opinion, and I am probably not going to be right. :p

I in the same thought process. I'd maybe think Martel Bennett might be a nice pick up , or a good pass catching TE
- Bennie was hanging with Tavon today's he still is unsigned .
I like Aaron Green but might be a little small ..

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I see the Rams getting a free agent center and getting a center in the draft. The center position

was the weakness position on the line. You have to be strong up the middle in order to

Will help Goff step up in the pocket as well

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay added him to players who he thinks is a core player

Yeah I fully expect them to make a play to keep him because we would be down to Zero corners. He is going to get elite money when he isn't elite.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

I would agree with you that the Rams will draft a center at some point in time on day two or three. I will agree with you that the Rams will sign a UFA to compete in the center cadre. Where I would take up a far differing opinion is on the reason the Rams will probably make the moves you have suggested here in your post.

It will be because of the very poor reserves behind Tim Barnes. When Barnes injured his foot a little over half way through the 2016 season, The Rams to continue to play a badly hurting & injury degraded Barnes than to insert any other Ram OL'er in at center. A damaged Barnes still was better than anybody else on the team @ center. Its far past the time that the Rams gets serious to get bigger stronger taller reserve center to back up Barnes in 2017 season! Then let our center cadre fight it out to earn the opportunity to make the proper line calls & block for Goff & Gurley.

I sure would hate to think just how bad our Ram OL would have been if it were not for Tim Barnes performance the last two seasons. I am ready :coffee:to have any deep civil discussion from any member who has a differing opinion on my take here on Tim Barnes who I strongly believe is our best Ram center since Andy McCollum was last seen playing center in 2007. :bueller:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

There was more on going drama surrounding Boudreau's last seasons OL that would resemble the prime-time soap opera which aired on ABC back in 1964 to 1969.

I can not make any sense on what was going on in Paul Boudreau's mind in the Rob Havenstein drama myself. I just do not have any understanding why Boudreau did not go with what he went with for all of 2016 training camp & pre season (Saffold) or utilized the only trending improved OL'er Andrew Donnal in Havenstein's place? Maybe some other members has the answer to that question:shocking:.

I would never contend or try to argue that Barnes has been an above the norm effective NFL center the last two seasons. Barnes is a decent starting center in the NFL that needs to have effective performing OL'ers working with him to excel. He has not had anything close to that since he won the starting Ram center position.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah I fully expect them to make a play to keep him because we would be down to Zero corners. He is going to get elite money when he isn't elite.

Tell that to KEVIN DEMOFF !! He was the one that didn't get The JJ deal done.
--Fisher when walking out the door states that much.
---Truman Johnson was in my mind playing close to elite level. You keep him healthy through the 4th art of Buffalo and beyond & The Rams season could have been as good as most. Then again Case was playing better than Jared Goff.

Truman is a guy The Rams franchises & was drafted by. It's up to him to decide what is best. I think you have to test the market & then decide. That is were Les Snead & company(coaching) come in. Keep Demoff out of it as much as possible .

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
I see keeping 4 wideouts too, Austin, Cooper, Thomas, and Spruce. The question is do they go for 5 or 6... I think 6, due to several are contributors on special teams. Two new faces at WR. Britt/Quick are gone.

Probably two new faces on OL.

One at CB, if we resign Tru, and prob one at Safety.

RB Gurley, Green, Brown and Reynolds. Same Faces.

TE Kendricks is out. Same faces.

So it's either WR or OL for me. My guess is OL. Prob 3 new faces.