Which NFL records could be broken in 2013?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
By Chris Wesseling
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000217005/article/which-nfl-records-could-be-broken-in-2013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... en-in-2013</a>

On Tuesday's edition of NFL Network's "NFL Total Access," the cast debated which records could be broken during the 2013 season.

Here is our take on the issue, in descending order of records most likely to be broken.

1. Career game-winning drives, Dan Marino 51: Peyton Manning needs two to tie and three to break Marino's record. He's averaged 3.5 drives per year and now has one of the strongest receiving corps of his career with the addition of Wes Welker. The only question is whether the Broncos' stout defense leaves enough opportunities for come back opportunities.

2. Career non-offensive touchdowns, Deion Sanders 19: Devin Hester is sitting on 18 after being held out of the end zone last season. Is he past his prime at age 30? After a two-year drought from 2008 to 2009, Hester was downright dominant as recently 2010-11, totaling six return touchdowns and posting the two highest punt-return averages and the highest kickoff-return average of his career.

3. Single-season sacks, Michael Strahan 22.5: J.J. Watt came within two sacks of the record in his second season while playing with an elbow that had all of the ligaments torn. Aldon Smith (19) and Von Miller (18.5) weren't far behind. In an era where the record for pass attempts is broken on a semi-annual basis, there obviously are increased opportunities for sacks. My money is on Miller.

4. Single-season quarterback rushing yards, Michael Vick 1,039: Robert Griffin III might be superhuman, but he's not going to top last year's total of 815 yards on a freshly rebuilt knee. New Carolina Panthers offensive coordinator Mike Shula doesn't want Cam Newton leading his team in rushing again this season, which leaves Colin Kaepernick as Vick's biggest threat. Kaepernick already owns the single-game quarterback rushing record after gashing the Green Bay Packers' defense for 183 yards in the playoffs last season.

5. Single-season completion percentage, Drew Brees 71.2: Brees, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers and Matt Ryan all have a shot at the record if things break right this season. If you believe Brees' record is safe, keep in mind that Alex Smith -- of all quarterbacks -- managed to come within one percentage point of the record in 10 games last year.

6. Single-season passing yards, Drew Brees 5,476: Matthew Stafford has averaged more than 5,000 yards the past two seasons, but that number isn't going to rise significantly with an improved defense. The Saints imported Rob Ryan to turn the defense around, but he's hamstrung by a dearth of edge rushers in his 3-4 scheme. With Jimmy Graham returning to full health and the potential for shootouts rising, Brees could make an assault on his own record.

7. Single-season yards per kickoff return, Travis "Roadrunner" Williams 41.1: When you read "Instant Replay" by Jerry Kramer and Dick Schaap on the Green Bay Packers' 1967 season, it seems that Williams is bringing back a kick for a touchdown every game. If the Seahawks strategically limit Percy Harvin to a dozen or so returns, he could threaten Williams' mark. Harvin averaged 35.9 yards on 16 returns last season.

8. Single-season rushing yards, Eric Dickerson 2,105: Adrian Peterson came up nine yards shy of the record a season ago. His talent dictates a spot on this list, but history weighs heavily against his chances. The previous six members of the 2K club have averaged 1,072 yards the year following their historic campaigns. Barry Sanders has the highest "next-year" total with 1,491 yards. Of course, those other six are human whereas Peterson is an alien sent to destroy opposing front-sevens.

**Since Matthew Stafford would only be extending his own records for career pass attempts (41.4) and completions (24.8) per game, he's disqualified from the above list.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
9. Most all purpose yards Darren Sproles 2,696 in 2011

Do I have to say by who?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Username said:
9. Most all purpose yards Darren Sproles 2,696 in 2011

Do I have to say by who?
Who?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Of all of these; #8 is the most difficult.

It's a passing league.

As great as Peterson is... he's blowing smoke thinking he'll rush for 2,500. In fact; it's idiotic to suggest such a number. Ain't happening.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Username said:
Trung Canidate
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeZ-0tbNiRA[/youtube]

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
CGI_Ram said:

It's a passing league.

As great as Peterson is... he's blowing smoke thinking he'll rush for 2,500. In fact; it's idiotic to suggest such a number. Ain't happening.

But...
Single-season rushing yards, Eric Dickerson 2,105: Adrian Peterson came up nine yards shy of the record a season ago.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Username said:
CGI_Ram said:

It's a passing league.

But...
Single-season rushing yards, Eric Dickerson 2,105: Adrian Peterson came up nine yards shy of the record a season ago.

Lets not forget a few seasons ago if not for a penalty against sesttle that even the ref who called later said it was a bad call. Chris Johnson would have owned the rushing record.

Lesson

Oh, really?
#7 seems difficult to break. It would have to depend on the number of returns, etc. I don't see that being broken for a while, if ever. Especially considering where kickoffs now start.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
A55VA6 jumping the gun:
Tavon could beat that all purpose yards ;)

Even if Tavon was in his third year and totally acclimated to the NFL I don't think Schotty has quite figured out how to use him yet. I think it's going to be a learning process for Schotty and this offense. Next year will be when it all comes together.

I hope.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
2105 is a sacred number. I hope it remains supreme forever times infinity squared.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I think Manning will break Marinos record, though its kinda a silly record with no real meaning.

One record he didn't mention and I'm surprised he didn't in this passing era is passing touchdowns. Brady has the record at 50 but there are a few guys playing on the right teams that could break that, and a few have gotten pretty close lately. I don't know if it'll be this year but that record will come down sometime.

As far as breaking EDs record it's just a matter of time until a super duper athlete comes along and eclipses it. I won't like it but it'll happen. Especially with a little extra help from the pharmacist.