Where's Cook?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Isn't this Cook's 5th season? I don't consider him inexperienced.
It's his first in this offense, so yeah. He's inexperienced too.

This isn't a catch-all excuse I'm using either, by the way. I just figure he's learning the ropes like a lot of other guys. If he's not, and it turns out he's some useless cap-drainer like people suggest, then so be it. They'll do what they have to do with that and learn from it. The crux of my post was that it's just getting a little tiring reading about all the problems every week. Someone is always a steaming pile of shit it seems.

V3

Hall of Fame

This isn't a catch-all excuse I'm using either, by the way. I just figure he's learning the ropes like a lot of other guys. If he's not, and it turns out he's some useless cap-drainer like people suggest, then so be it. They'll do what they have to do with that and learn from it. The crux of my post was that it's just getting a little tiring reading about all the problems every week. Someone is always a steaming pile of shyte it seems.

Not sure I buy that for a guy in his 5th season. I see a lot of other players go onto other teams and perform just fine. Also, many of Cook's issues have nothing to do with knowing the scheme. It's things like effort, blocking, drops, etc.

F. Mulder

Starter

This isn't a catch-all excuse I'm using either, by the way. I just figure he's learning the ropes like a lot of other guys. If he's not, and it turns out he's some useless cap-drainer like people suggest, then so be it. They'll do what they have to do with that and learn from it. The crux of my post was that it's just getting a little tiring reading about all the problems every week. Someone is always a steaming pile of shyte it seems.

X- I get what you are saying and certainly don't want to be a shyte guy when things are good but I guess there's a difference and different set of expectations from a team seemingly loaded with talent vs a team that is overmatched in nearly every game (ala Spags' teams). 4-6 is still 4-6 to me.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I'm not happy about his blocking either, but I agree with some that this O will be less reliant on the run by seasons end. We have finally broken through with the run, but I think we'll see more passing in the coming weeks as teams continue to stack the box on Stacy. Cook still has a decent line through 10: 33 for 428, 13 yd avg. & 3 TDs

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I find myself a little disappointed how quickly we judge.

This offense hasn't really started clicking in ANY WAY. Yeah, yeah, yeah... we found a running game. Yeah, yeah, yeah, we just blew out the Colts (with help from the D and ST). Let's not kid ourselves that this offense is clicking on all cylinders! It's not. And our starting QB is down.

If things continue as they have for the last 10 games Cook will have close to 51 receptions for around 686 yards for a cap cost of over 10.5 million a year....CGI should I judge from those approx. numbers? Cook was the Rams purchased big off season free agent play-maker.

However I am no where as critical of the Jared Cook performance as I am of Cortland Finnegan in comparison. I have plenty of hope yet on Jared Cook whereas I have ZERO hope in Finnegan.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm not happy about his blocking either, but I agree with some that this O will be less reliant on the run by seasons end. We have finally broken through with the run, but I think we'll see more passing in the coming weeks as teams continue to stack the box on Stacy. Cook still has a decent line through 10: 33 for 428, 13 yd avg. & 3 TDs

:bigup:

Not bad. And... there are 6 games left.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If things continue as they have for the last 10 games Cook will have close to 51 receptions for around 686 yards for a cap cost of over 10.5 million a year....CGI should I judge from those approx. numbers? Cook was the Rams purchased big off season free agent play-maker.

However I am no where as critical of the Jared Cook performance as I am of Cortland Finnegan in comparison. I have plenty of hope yet on Jared Cook whereas I have ZERO hope in Finnegan.

I'm with you on Finnegan, right now anyway.

So; what stats would satisfy you for the season with Cook?

I'm not making excuses for the guy. I see his soft blocking. But, I know how quickly the stat sheet can change. I'm not ready to proclaim Cook anything at this point. The jury is out.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Not sure I buy that for a guy in his 5th season. I see a lot of other players go onto other teams and perform just fine. Also, many of Cook's issues have nothing to do with knowing the scheme. It's things like effort, blocking, drops, etc.
Well, like I said. He'll either get it or he won't. I see some things from him this year that I think he can build on and help him to become a good contributor. If he doesn't, he doesn't. I just think he needs the whole of this year and another camp before I commit to suggesting the Rams cut their losses. Maybe as the offense evolves behind a strong running game, they'll be able to move him around and get him out in space too. Who knows.

And let me bottom-line it for everyone real quick. I know he's not living up to the hype or "earning his salary." I'm just prone to giving guys the benefit of the doubt and a little latitude in lieu of dwelling on how much they suck. Because the next game will always make someone look stupid. Always. So I tend to shy away from the running commentary on players. "Jeez he sucks!" And then two weeks later, "OMG! He's a beast!"

V3

Hall of Fame

+1

V3

Hall of Fame
Well, like I said. He'll either get it or he won't. I see some things from him this year that I think he can build on and help him to become a good contributor. If he doesn't, he doesn't. I just think he needs the whole of this year and another camp before I commit to suggesting the Rams cut their losses. Maybe as the offense evolves behind a strong running game, they'll be able to move him around and get him out in space too. Who knows.

And let me bottom-line it for everyone real quick. I know he's not living up to the hype or "earning his salary." I'm just prone to giving guys the benefit of the doubt and a little latitude in lieu of dwelling on how much they suck. Because the next game will always make someone look stupid. Always. So I tend to shy away from the running commentary on players. "Jeez he sucks!" And then two weeks later, "OMG! He's a beast!"

I never said the Rams should cut him after this season. I don't even think they can. All I'm saying is he isn't living up to his contract and I don't think it should take a veteran this long to perform. Shoot, his best game was his first. I don't know if it's due to his effort or if this is just what he is.

V3

Hall of Fame
Dunno. How long do you think we should wait to find out?

Normally I'd say by the end of this season but since Bradford is out, it's probably best to at least give him a few games into next season. But that's for my final judgement. My current ongoing evaluation on him says that he's underwhelming.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I'm not whipping him for being ineffective,the whole team has been that I'm whipping him for being a wuss and that's not something familiarity with a system rectifies.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Cook will never be the guy to help the other receivers get open but he will be the guy that benefits from Austin and Givens getting doubled.
Cook vs a CB .... Meh
Cook vs a Safety...Gonna make a couple plays, but still some Meh.
Cook vs a Lb....Cook eats all game.

And in this lifetime and the next 3 Cook still won't be a blocker. Not his game.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook

I agree for the most part. I just wanted to add that this group we're seeing is not a finished product. In other words, our young guys have not grown into their potential just yet. Time together and overall experience will go a very long way with this group. We just seen Tavon take a big step in the right direction this week. Other guys will follow in time. Clemons is growing more comfortable, too.

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mhm. I don't understand it, quite honestly. I know there's a history of ineptitude with this Franchise, but man ... every game brings a new whipping boy for some reason. And I know nobody wants to hear it, but it bears repeating. This is a team full of really young and (relatively speaking) inexperienced playmakers who are just now learning to play together as a unit. They're prone to making mistakes, and all the coaching/reps in the world aren't going to completely eliminate those until they get more playing time under their belts.

Yeah, I didn't intend to make him the weekly whipping boy. I think there's a pretty strong concencous that he doesn't seem to be playing up to his ability though.

He's too big and fast to be an after thought IMHO.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
IMO, what we saw against Arizona was concern by their defense that Tavon/Givens was going to break one. Perhaps there was some consensus that the Rams overpaid for Cook, until he took advantage of Arizona for 142 yards. Since then teams have found that Cook is less of a threat without the concern of the big play. Now that Tavon has re-opened some defense's eyes, Cook will see more opportunities.

But, yeah. He needs to do better at blocking, whether that's technique or attitude.