Where's Cook?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Well looks like we have him for one more year so it's not the end of the world and still a better TightEnd than what we had in a very long time.
Still around a 700 yard 5 to 6 Touchdown guy that's going to drop a few but swill makes some big plays here and there.
I don't understand how hes the best we've had in awhile. Cook and Kendricks put up almost the exact same numbers last year, the only difference was Cook dropped more passes.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

Nah man it's COMPLETELY realistic to ask any player to improve on anything he's called upon to do,and as I said before blocking is fundamentally a function of attitude, Cook SHY'S from contact on blocks ,he some times steps out of the way when asked to block,I don't expect him to approach Harkey ,I do expect him to try.
So great strides ?Maybe not but strides hell yes and ya can't make "strides" unless you try.
Should he be as good a blocker as Megatron? yeah,is he? NO !

In the end Cook looks like Tarzan plays like Jane

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Well Fisher actually only had him for his rookie and second years on a veteran team.
He's seen his targets and playing time shrink ,IMO attending to effort , Pead is a great example of how a player can play himself out of the lineup with der Fisherman and Cook can get it or don't, if he played for me he'd learn to block out of principle and if not he'd need to find somewhere else to play,again it's not rcoket surgery it's attitude and IMO he's a puss which is a contagious "disease".

OhioRam

Rookie
Lance has never put up these kind of numbers in 10 games...and I like Kendricks

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Honestly ... all you have to do is put in a little effort, and you can find him every time.

cO7Cxv4.jpg

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
My biggest thing is he sux at blocking. That's not good for the power O. Kendricks is our most valuable TE right now.

This won't be a power O for long. There will be elements but that is not going to be the teams MO, they will spread it out more when they have gelled.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Here's an article that may fit into this post.

http://overthecap.com/best-worst-contracts-st-louis-rams/

Worst Ram Contract: TE Jared Cook
In the last few years the Rams have become a team of over spenders, both on their own players and outside players. To some extent I think this is a calculated risk that the Rams are taking. For years the Rams had not been considered an ideal destination for players to consider and I think in many ways this may have been a necessary evil to attract talent and begin to get people talking around the league about how the Rams could be a landing spot as free agency preparations begin.

Most of the contracts do contain some protection for the Rams in that they contain very low signing bonuses and have all the guarantees paid out by the second year, meaning at worst it’s a two year risk. So while the players are overvalued there is always a correction that can happen right around the corner. I’m not sure Cook is one of those players.

In terms of price tag it is hard to believe that the Rams paid Cook this kind of money. While I understand how the league has become more focused than ever on the TE position that doesn’t mean you overpay for a player with limited starting experience and very little stats to back up his play. Cook has started a grand total of 12 games in four seasons. His three year yardage average is around 550 yards. He has never scored more than 4 touchdowns in a season. And for this the Rams paid Cook over $7 million a season with an incredible $16 million in guarantees.

Unlike the other bad contracts on this team Cook’s guarantees extend into his third season on the club. There is really no escape from this deal at any point. This is significantly worse than the Jaguars deal years ago with Marcedes Lewis. At least in Lewis’ case he had a big year in his walk year and had the 1st round pedigree. Cook only has expectations because he can be a big play threat at times.

Some will point to the poor QB situation in Tennessee as a reason to be hopeful but is Sam Bradford that much of an upgrade over Locker/Hasselbeck? I’m not so sure and their offensive coordinator was never a big “run it through the TE” type in New York so I don’t think that will change either. The Titans who were huge overspenders this year had no desire to touch the price that was being floated by Cook. Even the Dolphins who were buying everything in sight could not justify matching this offer. Cook is going to have to see a major upgrade to his game to ever justify this contract.

Curently this article on Cook seems to be on target. If Cook continues to perform in the manner over the second half of the season as he has thus far ......looks like the Rams should avoid the Titans UFA's for eternity after WR Drew Bennett & CB Cortland Finnegan now Jared Cook sad waste of very good cap $$$.

GreenMays

UDFA
Cook just doesn't seem to care what's going on. He gives up on routes and run-blocking if he doesn't think it's going his way. The INT last week where he gave up on the route. There was a deep fade route (against ATL maybe?) where he was overthrown because he slowed down before he looked for the ball. It is incredibly frustrating to watch Game Rewind and focus on what he does. There was a run play against Houston (that I'm convinced was a missed audible at the line) where one of the few times we ran at JJ Watt and Cook just didn't block anyone and the funny thing was, it was so convincing that the LB right in front of him thought the play went to the other side too and he missed Stacy running right by him.

If Cook worked as hard to get open as someone like Tony Gonzalez or Anquan Boldin, he would be unstoppable.

I'd like to see us get the ball Cook's hands a couple times a game with enough time to turn upfield with speed. DEN runs WR screens to Julius Thomas that go for huge yardage.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I find myself a little disappointed how quickly we judge.

This offense hasn't really started clicking in ANY WAY. Yeah, yeah, yeah... we found a running game. Yeah, yeah, yeah, we just blew out the Colts (with help from the D and ST). Let's not kid ourselves that this offense is clicking on all cylinders! It's not. And our starting QB is down.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Mhm. I don't understand it, quite honestly. I know there's a history of ineptitude with this Franchise, but man ... every game brings a new whipping boy for some reason. And I know nobody wants to hear it, but it bears repeating. This is a team full of really young and (relatively speaking) inexperienced playmakers who are just now learning to play together as a unit. They're prone to making mistakes, and all the coaching/reps in the world aren't going to completely eliminate those until they get more playing time under their belts.

V3

Hall of Fame
My biggest thing is he sux at blocking. That's not good for the power O. Kendricks is our most valuable TE right now.

I'd like to see them use him as strictly a WR. I'm not sure I'd call Cook a TE at this point.

V3

Hall of Fame
Mhm. I don't understand it, quite honestly. I know there's a history of ineptitude with this Franchise, but man ... every game brings a new whipping boy for some reason. And I know nobody wants to hear it, but it bears repeating. This is a team full of really young and (relatively speaking) inexperienced playmakers who are just now learning to play together as a unit. They're prone to making mistakes, and all the coaching/reps in the world aren't going to completely eliminate those until they get more playing time under their belts.

Isn't this Cook's 5th season? I don't consider him inexperienced.

F. Mulder

Starter

This offense hasn't really started clicking in ANY WAY. Yeah, yeah, yeah... we found a running game. Yeah, yeah, yeah, we just blew out the Colts (with help from the D and ST). Let's not kid ourselves that this offense is clicking on all cylinders! It's not. And our starting QB is down.

Thanks for this. I feel kind of guilty for obviously enjoying the win and the manner they won but still a large part of me feels letdown overall. We have seen glimpses of how the D is capable of winning as well as how the offense can play when in synch but it's just been too infrequent for my liking and much of my disappointment isn't with the rookies it is with players who are supposed to be better, and coaches who are supposed to be top-level. I just hope by season's end players like Austin, Ogletree, Stacey have found their stride and we have a better idea regarding who is performing and ascending and who isn't. Maybe if they end with a flourish I can change that view but right now I fear we are in a constant loop of watching Sally Field in Sybill; don't look away or something's bound to change.

Cook is maddening. He is such a mismatch and so able to take over game's at periods at a time and yet there are times when he just doesn't SEEM to give it his all. Some of his blocks make Toro look stout, and some efforts on very catchable balls almost seem like he either didn't see the ball or thought any additional athletic effort was unnecessary. This goes back to even yesterday's game where he makes a nice catch and run and then let's at least one ball seemingly go through his hands without the slightest inkling of concentration.

I'm happy for any win and don't paint pictures on how they get done but some of the things I've seen so far this year make me wonder if we aren't just being teased only to be let down at the end.

The coaches and talent seems to be very high but until it can click on a more consistent basis part of me keeps from going all in. Like I said, it isn't the rookies as much as some of the veterans who should be consistently better IMO.