Where will Tony Romo play in 2017?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Would he be installed as the starter?

I can't believe Florio actually said that, he's a dumbfuck. How does that idiot keep a job.

Would he be installed as the starter? Would he have to compete with Paxton Lynch and Trevor Siemian?

There he goes again LOL!!!!!

If I'm him I go to Houston. Loaded team in an easy division. Denver is a good spot too, but the division is absolutely loaded.

Houston is the smart move.

Romo with that defense, combined with the Chiefs strong running game, might be an interesting landing spot.

Like FRO said that's a harsh division, HOU makes the most sense. KC got some breaks in order to win the AFCW, they may not be that lucky and Carr is back and the Broncos may be on top next year. Decent QB play will be the key there.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...tebook-predicting-biggest-offseason-headlines

Romo, Romo, where are thou Romo:

As it currently stands, no quarterback has a higher salary-cap number for 2017 than Tony Romo's at $24.7 million. It will not remain that way. No one knows exactly how he will leave Dallas, via release or via trade. But no one expects him to return.

So one of the most intriguing storylines this offseason will be where Romo -- the Cowboys all-time leader in passing yards and touchdown passes -- lands. Houston, where there are perpetual quarterback questions, is logical. Denver also makes some sense, though the Broncos have not been interested in the past.

Arizona would need a replacement if Carson Palmer decided to walk away from the game. Kansas City always seems to be looking at quarterbacks. Bears general manager Ryan Pace was Romo's teammate for one season at Eastern Illinois, and Chicago could use a quarterback.

Romo probably would not opt to go to a team that needs a ton of help (see: Browns, 49ers or Jets). It's hard to know which of these teams will wind up with Romo, but it's clear it won't be Dallas.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/j...ant-to-think-about-tony-romo-leaving-cowboys/

Jones knows Romo will start elsewhere

Barring a miracle, Tony Romo has taken his last snap for the Cowboys. With the emergence of 2016 fourth-round pick Dak Prescott, Dallas' quarterback situation appears set for the foreseeable future, and that future doesn't involve Romo.

Which means that the 36-year-old quarterback will almost certainly be elsewhere in 2017. And if "elsewhere" means another NFC team, that's a reality that Cowboys owner -- and Romo friend -- Jerry Jones doesn't even want to entertain.

"That bothers the heck out of me because I know wherever he goes, he'll start. I know wherever he goes, he'll compete, absent injury," Jones said Friday during an appearance on ESPN Dallas.

"We saw a guy [Tom Brady] several years older than him win a Super Bowl. I think he's that kind of player, so you've dealt in your own conference, somebody that has the possibility to come back and beat us."

Romo suffered an injury during the preseason and by the time he was healthy enough to return several months later, Prescott had helped the Cowboys become one of the league's best teams. And as such, Prescott remained the starter while Romo stayed on the bench. But common sense says there's no way the Cowboys will pay Romo $17 million next season to hold a clipboard. So in the coming weeks, he'll likely be released or traded.

"We've got a lot to do. We'll get it sorted out. That's what it's all about," Jones said. "Relationships come into play here. When you've got the kind of relationship I've got with him, and the type of person that Tony Romo is, we'll get this worked out."

Still, Jones would love for Romo to stay in Dallas and serve as Prescott's backup. The problem, of course, is selling that to Romo, who would improve the quarterback situation on a number of teams.

"It has to do with what his options are," Jones explained. "If he went to another team, it has to do with what his ability is to compete here. All of these things I don't have an answer to -- we just have to work through it."

CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora reports that four teams could be in the mix for Romo's services.

The Cowboys will listen to offers for Tony Romo, sources said, once owner Jerry Jones has his meeting with the Pro Bowl quarterback. Romo prefers to be moved to a contending team -- specifically, the Texans, Cardinals, Broncos or Chiefs.

The Bills also have significant interest in Romo, team and league sources said, though they realize that it might be a tough sell. The Bills have not given up hope on retaining Tyrod Taylor on a lesser contract, too, though that might be wishful thinking on their part at this point.

As for possible compensation, La Canfora adds: "Some GMs opined that the Cowboys would get a second-round pick, plus potentially another high pick based on Romo's playing time."

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
If the cowgirls let him go... and I wouldn't be surprised if Jerry tries to keep him somehow... I bet Denver snaps him up and attempts to do what they did with Manning.
But at what point does Denver start actually developing some talent? I mean there's some definitive luck involved with building your team through Free Agency. John Elway and Co. have drafted horrendously. Shane Ray, Bradley Roby and Trevor Siemian are the only guys who have really contributed during his tenure. Eventually you make a wrong decision or a player doesn't pan out and it bites you in the ass. I think they have some good pieces but if they don't get a long term solution at QB they won't be good for a long time.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
But at what point does Denver start actually developing some talent? I mean there's some definitive luck involved with building your team through Free Agency. John Elway and Co. have drafted horrendously. Shane Ray, Bradley Roby and Trevor Siemian are the only guys who have really contributed during his tenure. Eventually you make a wrong decision or a player doesn't pan out and it bites you in the ass. I think they have some good pieces but if they don't get a long term solution at QB they won't be good for a long time.

It's ALWAYS about the QB.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
North of the Border! :hiding:
s-l300.jpg

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I can't imagine it'd be Denver... Siemien and Lynch should be competing for the gig.

Houston would make sense, if they can backload his cap hits until after 2017 when they can get rid of Brock Lobster.

Needs to be someone close to the playoffs but with a shaky QB spot... maybe Buffalo? Solid D talent, solid weapons on O, and for whatever reason they don't seem to like Taylor (which is dumb, IMO).

Bears might be a fit, but they're probably too far away from contending. Jets, '9ers also too shitty, not a QB away.

Jags and Chiefs could be two interesting longshots. Reid might think that Alex Smith's lack of big-play ability is hindering their postseason chances (and that D will be elite for another year or 2, most likely), and Jacksonville seems to have all the talent in the world but Bortles sucked hard in 2016.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
If I'm him I go to Houston. Loaded team in an easy division. Denver is a good spot too, but the division is absolutely loaded.
You'd HAVE pay me millions to live in that giant, sweaty butthole. Houston sucks.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/16/report-tony-romo-expects-to-be-cut-not-traded/

Report: Tony Romo expects to be cut not traded
Posted by Mike Florio on February 16, 2017

610467278-e1487263779873.jpg
Getty Images

It’s happening.

As PFT has long predicted (most recently just earlier this hour on The Dan Patrick Show), the Cowboys likely will be releasing not trading quarterback Tony Romo. While that hasn’t happened yet, it’s pointing in that direction.

Ed Werder of ESPN reports that Romo is expecting to be released, not traded.

Back in December, it was predicted on a special Saturday edition of Thursday Night Football that Romo would ask for his release — and that the Cowboys would be inclined to ultimately agree. Since then, it has been predicted in this spot and other PFT-related hangouts that Romo and Cowboys owner Jerry Jones will hammer out a wink-nod arrangement in which Romo gets cut in return for a verbal agreement not to sign with specific other teams including but not limited to Washington.

(It would be unenforceable and a Collective Bargaining Agreement violation, but Jones surely trusts that Romo wouldn’t blow the whistle or otherwise reneging.)

Apart from the complexity of trading an aging quarterback with a recent history of significant injuries, Romo would have to welcome a deal that transfers his contract (at a $14 million salary) to a new team for which he may or may not want to play. It makes more sense for him to negotiate a new deal from scratch with the team of his choice. And if that team doesn’t have to give up draft picks to get Romo, that team may be inclined to pay him even more than it otherwise would.

So count this report from Werder as Step One. Before too long, Romo could be stepping right out of Dallas, with an agreed list of potential destinations based on a secret side deal that no one ever will acknowledge.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree. If Romo was healthy and Dak the back up, the money would be fine.
Dallas should know first hand that if they lose their QB, they are a 4-12 team

Scirca

Rookie
I agree. If Romo was healthy and Dak the back up, the money would be fine.
Dallas should know first hand that if they lose their QB, they are a 4-12 team

I wouldn't say 4-12, Ezekiel Elliot and that offensive line is too good for that to happen. Maybe 7-9 BS

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wouldn't say 4-12, Ezekiel Elliot and that offensive line is too good for that to happen. Maybe 7-9 BS
Oline was just as great in 2015, they rushed for 1900 yards, but with no QB they didn't win games

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
You'd HAVE pay me millions to live in that giant, sweaty butthole. Houston sucks.
For real yo. I was on a dedicated route for Coca Cola from Beaumont to Houston. If I didn't leave at 230am everyday I would be stuck in traffic for hours. And it's hot as fuck.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
For real yo. I was on a dedicated route for Coca Cola from Beaumont to Houston. If I didn't leave at 230am everyday I would be stuck in traffic for hours. And it's hot as freak.
If you're traveling from Dallas, traffic starts in the Woodlands....which is 45 min. North of Houston.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://hou.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Tony-Romo-focused-on-Houston-Texans-51326621/Amp

Report: Tony Romo 'focused' on Houston Texans
by Kevin Boilard

Tony Romo may know where he wants to play next.

ESPN's Ed Werder reported on Thursday morning that the veteran quarterback, who will soon turn 37 years old, expects to be released by the Dallas Cowboys this offseason and not traded. He went on to say that Romo is "focused" on the Houston Texans as a landing spot, per Jerome Solomon of the Houston Chronicle.

The Texans signed former Denver Broncos quarterback Brock Osweiler to a four-year, $72 million contract with $37 million fully guaranteed last offseason. The move was widely criticized, as Osweiler turned out to be a terrible starter, completing less than 60 percent of his pass attempts for a paltry passer rating of 72.2 in 2016.

By picking up Romo, the Texans may be able to solve their problems at the quarterback position and redeem themselves for the awful Osweiler signing. The motivation is certainly there for Houston to make a move, even if it has to wait until after June 1 for the Cowboys to cut Romo (cutting him before June 1 is a difference of $9 million in savings against the cap for the Cowboys).

With the Texans, Romo would have a solid defense and a couple intriguing playmakers on offense. He would have a true bell-cow running back in Lamar Miller and a top-tier wide receiver in DeAndre Hopkins. Where Osweiler failed to make the most of these weapons, Romo could turn them into a couple of the league's best players at their respective positions.

Romo wants to go to a contender, and the Texans fall under that category. They play in a very winnable AFC South and have been to the playoffs each of the past two seasons under head coach Bill O'Brien, despite serious struggles at the quarterback position. The team has finished with a winning record each of the past three seasons.

The biggest concern the Texans will face when it comes to investing in Romo as their starting quarterback is his injury history. He has only appeared in five games over the past two seasons, after injuring his collarbone twice in 2015 and his back in 2016. His absence allowed Dak Prescott to emerge as Dallas' future at quarterback.

Even if the Texans acquire Romo, they may want to follow the Cowboys' model and draft a rookie quarterback to serve as an insurance policy and eventually take over as the starter.