Where Will Mike Martz Land Next?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Howard Balzer
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.101espn.com/category/hbalzer-blogs/20111207/Where-Will-Mike-Martz-Land-Next/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.101espn.com/category/hbalzer ... Land-Next/</a>

[wrapimg=left]http://www.101espn.com/images/authors/medium/hbalzer.jpg[/wrapimg]With quarterback A.J. Feeley still experiencing swelling in his thumb Tuesday, the Rams moved to sign some insurance by adding quarterback Matt Gutierrez to the practice squad.

Gutierrez, 6-4, 230, entered the league in 2007 from Idaho State as an undrafted free agent with the New England Patriots. He began his college career at Michigan. Gutierrez was with the Patriots for two seasons, and was waived early in training camp in 2009. New England's offensive coordinator in 2007 and ‘08 was Josh McDaniels.

The Chiefs claimed him on waivers in Aug. 2009 and Kansas City released him the following June. He went to training camp with the Bears in 2010 and earlier this year. When Chicago released him in early August, he was signed by the Redskins, and was released on Aug. 31. Gutierrez had signed to play for the Arena League's Arizona Rattlers for the 2012 season.

He has thrown two passes in his NFL career, completing both for 18 yards.

The Rams also cleared a roster spot Tuesday by waiving cornerback Nate Ness rather than placing guard Jacob Bell on injured reserve. Some players with grade II MCL injuries have come back in two weeks.

The release of Ness leaves the Rams with just three cornerbacks on the active roster--Justin King, Josh Gordy and Rod Hood--and one on the practice squad, Kendric Burney. Ness could conceivably replace Burney or someone else on the practice squad if he clears waivers Wednesday, and then move back up to the roster if Gutierrez isn't needed for the game against Seattle.

With the Rams playing Monday night, they could wait as late as Monday afternoon to make a roster move.

It's also possible the Rams could be bringing back cornerback Tim Atchison, who was waived from reserve/injured with an injury settlement on Sept. 27. Atchison, who was in training camp with the Rams, was signed to the active roster on Sept. 14 and injured in the Sept. 19 Monday night game against the Giants.

The Rams are also hopeful that left tackle Mark LeVoir will be able to play Monday night after missing the last two games because of an injury to his pectoral muscle. LeVoir's injury led to three changes in the line for the next two games and then another three changes when Bell left Sunday's game against San Francisco.

If LeVoir can play, Adam Goldberg would likely switch back to his more comfortable spot at right tackle and Harvey Dahl would be back at right guard, where he ended Sunday's game after being at right tackle. The only question will be whether Jason Brown will play left guard for Bell or if recently added Bryan Mattison will get an opportunity.

The Rams had punter Tom Malone in for a tryout Tuesday. Although Donnie Jones suffered an ankle injury on Nov. 27 against Arizona, the Rams might also be looking at punters to sign in the offseason. Jones becomes an unrestricted free agent in March.

Whither Martz: It seemed odd timing Sunday when there were multiple reports saying Bears offensive coordinator Mike Martz won't return in 2012.

The news itself is no surprise considering that Martz wasn't pleased when the club offered him a contract extension in the offseason that was for just one year and at no increase over his sub-standard $1 million salary.

When Bears coach Lovie Smith was asked about the report, he said, "If there is a change that would be made, I'll be making it. I definitely haven't discussed that with anyone. I'm sure there are a lot of things out there that people make up. That has to be made up, because nothing like that came from me. It should definitely stop right there."

Of course, Smith never said Martz will be back. The reality is that the contract situation is out of Smith's hands and he likely won't have much impact on Martz staying.

As for people making things up, agents are frequently the source of reports like that, and it would almost be expected that an agent would want it known that his client would be available. Martz's name has been mentioned in connection with the Arizona State opening, and it is believed the Jacksonville Jaguars could have some interest.

A team that should have an interest, if ownership decides to make a change, is the Rams. No one knows what owner Stan Kroenke will do, but there is the sense that he likes Steve Spagnuolo and realizes many things have happened to the team that have been out of his control. If Kroenke does make major changes, he seems to be more inclined to do that in the personnel department.

Having said that, it would be problematical to bring Spagnuolo back without an extension because he has only one year remaining on his contract. If Kroenke did that, there would have to be the belief that enough other things will be better to create an environment that would lead to improvement on the field.

We do know that sweeping changes would likely mean another new offensive system for quarterback Sam Bradford and other young players on offense.

The easiest thing for an owner to do is to fire a coach. However, the hardest thing to do is to find someone you know would have been better under the same circumstances and will be better going forward.

Hiring inexperienced head coaches is a crapshoot, but so are those that have been successful and they are infinitely more expensive.

If Kroenke decides to make a coaching change, he could do a lot worse than bringing back Martz to the place where he had his greatest success.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
HC @ ASU, my alumni... I just think he'll be "more appreciated" in the college ranks of the Pac-12 and turn ASU around.

I really enjoyed Bruce Snyder, Dirk Koetter was not bad either- he had some tough breaks similar to Spags, but got a nice promotion as the Jags OC, but I bet they make a change as well.

I have nothing more to include, or a ridiculous amount of stats, stats, stats, that may or may not prove any relevance to just keeping a positive attitude. :boing:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I would love to have him back personally. It still amazes me that the he (and Warner, but that is another story) were run out of the Lou the way they were. talk about short sightedness.....