Where was the defense?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Really now, where did it go? We bottle up Lynch who is much better than CJ1K but yet again give a struggling RB a career day. Soft coverage yet again.

Thought we were going to continue the attacking defense we used last week, more press on the wr's, more pressure on the qb, etc.

Disappointing to say the least.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This would be pretty high on my list of concerns too.

I feel like a broken record; but this team is heavily invested on defense with premium draft picks and FA dollars. The results are not there - consistently - this year.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This would be pretty high on my list of concerns too.

I feel like a broken record; but this team is heavily invested on defense with premium draft picks and FA dollars. The results are not there - consistently - this year.

In your opinion, is it on the coaches, or is it on execution? We have enough vets that it is hard to blame execution IMO. But i could be wrong.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
In your opinion, is it on the coaches, or is it on execution? We have enough vets that it is hard to blame execution IMO. But i could be wrong.

I wish I knew.

I see enough in the scheme opposite of last year, off coverage and lack of blitzing, to suspect it's the scheme. It may also be wishful thinking, because if it's the players we got bigger problems.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wish I knew.

It may also be wishful thinking, because if it's the players we got bigger problems.

If thats the case that is a massive problem. I hope its not.

jjab360

Legend
I think we just play power RBs like Lynch better than we do speed RBs like Johnson.

jap

Legend
Keep in mind that they lost a day in preparation coming off the Monday night game, plus we had a few key people hurting (e.g., The Mighty Quinn was sick). Nevertheless, this was another winnable game that the Rams seem to give away due to untimely mistakes.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
We flashed good and bad,which to me is people not playing their assignments,consistency is players,I think we played consistent disciplined and intense Mon. I think yesterday we had intensity but lacked the other two and FWIW I think some of the problem was THEY took advantage of our aggressiveness, when you play eight in the box ,if "the wall " breaks ,it goes a long way,we tried to give them nothing and if we failed there we gave them a lot.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Thought about this last night. The defense's only problem was stopping Chris Johnson and getting chunks of yards. They did everything else right: pressuring Jake Locker, getting turnovers, stopping the pass, etc.

Monday night's defensive performance was historic, something that probably won't happen again this season. Find a middle ground b/w Monday night and yesterday and they'll be fine.

JCBRAVE

UDFA
I think the Rams issue was less them and more about Chris Johnson on turf. I mean most can agree he's 2nd to none in the speed department, and on turf the game is faster.

fearsomefour

Legend
The second half no one, and I mean no one was getting off of blocks. Is this lack of effort? Is this the Titans making an adjustment at half time and the Rams not? Im not sure, maybe a mix. Either way the blame goes one place to me. The Titans scored on three straight possessions (if Im not mistaken)....chunk plays, runs and passes.
Walton F-

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Thought about this last night. The defense's only problem was stopping Chris Johnson and getting chunks of yards. They did everything else right: pressuring Jake Locker, getting turnovers, stopping the pass, etc.

Monday night's defensive performance was historic, something that probably won't happen again this season. Find a middle ground b/w Monday night and yesterday and they'll be fine.
What is needed is to discover how to get these guys play all the time like it's a nationally televised game,and to that end IMO we lack THE GUY who chews asses on the field and makes them play that way ,FWIW and I hate the guy ,but Ray lewis did that and was of value to his team for that well past his physical zenith.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I wish I knew.

I see enough in the scheme opposite of last year, off coverage and lack of blitzing, to suspect it's the scheme. It may also be wishful thinking, because if it's the players we got bigger problems.

Yep. I'm wondering if it's the scheme...

We need 8 in the box all the time.

Sgt. Ram

the present moment is all you will ever have
Really now, where did it go? We bottle up Lynch who is much better than CJ1K but yet again give a struggling RB a career day. Soft coverage yet again.

Thought we were going to continue the attacking defense we used last week, more press on the wr's, more pressure on the qb, etc.

Disappointing to say the least.
Still thinking about their Monday night game, maybe worn out and Tennessee fresh legs off a bye.