Where Sensabaugh and Coples fit for Rams | Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...e-coty-sensabaugh-quinton-coples-fit-for-rams

Because of his team's impending move to Los Angeles, Rams coach Jeff Fisher had not been available to discuss his team's newest additions. That is, until last week's NFL owners meetings.

The Rams haven't been too active in this round of free agency, choosing to focus their efforts on re-signing their own key free agents. After the first wave of free agency came to an end, the Rams went shopping for depth on their defensive line and in their secondary. The result was the addition of cornerback Coty Sensabaugh and defensive end Quinton Coples.

Sensabaugh played for Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams when both were with the Tennessee Titans. Under Williams, Sensabaugh had success as a nickel corner, working mostly from the slot. But Sensabaugh has also played outside and after the Rams lost starting corner Janoris Jenkins to the New York Giants, there was clearly a need for help at cornerback.

Last week, Fisher clarified where Sensabaugh fits in the defense.

"Well, Coty is an instinctive, smart, I think productive player that you can plug in and play either side," Fisher said. "He sees things well, he relates, he doesn’t have any difficulty learning defenses. I mean he just makes plays."

With Trumaine Johnson set to start on one side, E.J. Gaines returning at one outside spot, and Lamarcus Joyner back as the nickel corner, where does Fisher envision Sensabaugh?

"Outside," Fisher said. "We’re expecting E.J. to come back, but I think he goes outside and competes with E.J. and/or a draft choice."

As for Coples, there was a little bit of confusion about where he'd fit after spending most of his first four years as a rush linebacker in a 3-4 defense. In the Rams' base 4-3 defense, the 290-pound Coples wouldn't make much sense standing up.

In fact, Fisher believes that giving Coples the chance to play a more natural defensive end spot in the Rams' base defense could help him reach his immense potential after a disappointing start to his career.

"Coples, we think, is probably better suited with his hand down and rushing in and even front type of thing," Fisher said. "Now we’ll do some variation stuff with him, but it was just kind of a little out of place. Between his willingness, his lack of production and his ability to spend time with [defensive line coach Mike Waufle], I think that will translate into some good things for him. I think it will translate into some solid production for us as a backup end."

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I sure hope Gaines will be ready.
Id much rather see him on the outside opposite Tru.
Those Lis franc injuries are nasty business, though

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I sure hope Gaines will be ready.
Id much rather see him on the outside opposite Tru.
Those Lis franc injuries are nasty business, though

Me too, brother.

Having Gaines back totally changes any concern I have losing Jenkins.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Coples is a great signing. 6'6" and 290 and quick. Look for the Rams to play him all over the DL, just like Williams likes his DL guys. Coples next to Brockers, who's also 6'6" on third and longs at DT? Can you say "tipped" or "batted" ball? Coples never had the talent around him that he's getting with the Rams D. Rams aren't going to miss Fairley or Long.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't question Fish on the defense.

Sensabaugh was a guy Williams noted when he was the defensive assistant helping them un-F their defense, so that insight is likely right on the mark. He's not a finished product but if he works under this staff I'm sure he'll be a good signing.

Coples they're betting improves under Waufle in the right scheme. Very shrewd gamble IMO.

Reading between the lines on Fisher's comments on Gaines, they're definitely not going to let a setback with him screw them over. So again they're thinking right on that side of the ball.

It's the offense I'm sweating.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
personally I consider Sensabaugh almost like a rookie. He still seems to have undeveloped potential and hasnt maxed out his abilities yet, and with the success the coaching staff has had at developing DBs, I think he can be the next success story. No reason to waste a day 1 or 2 pick on CB, unless they plan on moving to joyner to FS