Where Nick Fairley fits in Rams' DL rotation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/17501/where-nick-fairley-fits-in-rams-dl-rotation
EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Heading into free agency, the St. Louis Rams had two players in mind when it came to adding to their defense.

While the bigger needs still remain on offense, the Rams apparently checked both boxes by signing defensive tackle Nick Fairley and linebacker Akeem Ayers.

where Ayers fits in the defense with Fisher saying that Ayers will be a versatile piece who will have the chance to compete with Jo-Lonn Dunbar for a starting job alongside James Laurinaitis and Alec Ogletree.

As for Fairley, a starting job probably isn't in the cards barring some injuries. The Rams already have Michael Brockers and Aaron Donald in place, but Fairley still figures to get plenty of playing time in 2015.

“Yeah, (he's in) the rotation," Fisher said. "He was excited about one, coming into the building, and two, meeting (defensive line) coach (Mike) Waufle and watching and seeing what we were doing. They (the Detroit Lions, Fairley's former team) had watched a lot of tape of ours, as we did of them because they have an outstanding pass rush as well. He was excited about being part of the rotation.”

Fairley is known more for his pass rushing abilities than stopping the run, though he's struggled with consistency in part because of injuries and also because of weight problems. He had 13.5 sacks in four seasons with the Lions with 11.5 of those coming in 2012 and 2013.

In the Rams' rotation, Fairley figures to have no shortage of opportunities even if he isn't a starter. Kendall Langford, whom Fairley ostensibly replaced after the Rams released him, played 467 snaps or about 47 percent of the defensive snaps in 2014. That should give Fairley enough of a chance to make plays and potentially cash in on the free agent market next year.

Although Fairley hasn't had a chance to be around Rams Park much since signing -- the team officially opens its offseason conditioning program on April 20 -- Fisher said he came away with a sense that Fairley is ready to meet his vast potential.

"Nick was injured last year," Fisher said. "(He) was in his view ready to come back and play the final game but he did not. Since then he’s been doing nothing but working out. He changed his diet, his eating habits. His weight is under control. He’s in great shape right now. He’ll admit that he probably didn’t buy into it as best as he could have early in his career. There’s no doubt in my mind he’s buying into it now. He’s serious about his football.”

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Color me skeptical. Talented, but I don't even think a one-year contract will keep him from fucking up. I know that Fisher's done a lot of good with young guys like Jenkins, Johnson, and Ogletree, but Fairley's been around for four years, he has four DUIs already, and he's lazy as hell.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Color me skeptical. Talented, but I don't even think a one-year contract will keep him from freaking up. I know that Fisher's done a lot of good with young guys like Jenkins, Johnson, and Ogletree, but Fairley's been around for four years, he has four DUIs already, and he's lazy as hell.

But; its a contract year. Lots of motivation there.

Memento

Name
Jemma
But; its a contract year. Lots of motivation there.

Detroit pretty much gave him a contract year as well when they nixed his rookie option. Look how poorly he did there.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
He might possibly beat out Brockers for a spot if hes healthy, I might be wrong but didnt he do good next to Suh? I dont see much difference talent wise between Suh and Donald, if anything I think Donald will be at the same level or better.

Memento

Name
Jemma
He might possibly beat out Brockers for a spot if hes healthy, I might be wrong but didnt he do good next to Suh? I dont see much difference talent wise between Suh and Donald, if anything I think Donald will be at the same level or better.

No way he beats out Brockers. Fairley isn't a nose guard, and there's no way in hell he beats out Donald ever. Without Brockers, Donald doesn't have that ROTY season he had. There's a reason why #90 is my favorite on this team, out a lot of worthy players.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
No way he beats out Brockers. Fairley isn't a nose guard, and there's no way in hell he beats out Donald ever. Without Brockers, Donald doesn't have that ROTY season he had. There's a reason why #90 is my favorite on this team, out a lot of worthy players.

Well see, time will tell.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Well see, time will tell.

No. It's not even a "we'll see." No way in hell Fisher puts two undersized three-techniques together unless it's on third and very long. Brockers is going to be the starter. He hasn't done anything to lose his job, and Fairley hasn't done anything to earn it.

One slip-up, and Fairley's gone, and with four DUIs (possibly more that weren't reported when he was at Auburn) and having his weight balloon up to 320 lbs. in mostly fat in his contract year, no less, I don't trust him to stay in shape or clean off-the-field. Fisher might say he is. Fairley says he is. I'm not buying it for a heartbeat.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
No. It's not even a "we'll see." No way in hell Fisher puts two undersized three-techniques together unless it's on third and very long. Brockers is going to be the starter. He hasn't done anything to lose his job, and Fairley hasn't done anything to earn it.

One slip-up, and Fairley's gone, and with four DUIs (possibly more that weren't reported when he was at Auburn) and having his weight balloon up to 320 lbs. in mostly fat in his contract year, no less, I don't trust him to stay in shape or clean off-the-field. Fisher might say he is. Fairley says he is. I'm not buying it for a heartbeat.

Thats your opinion. Not a fact.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Thats your opinion. Not a fact.

When is the last time that Fisher ever put two undersized defensive tackles together in the same game on anything other than long passing downs on the Rams or the Titans? Maybe he did with Jurrell Casey and someone else, but I guarantee you that he did not start them together. Fairley is not a nose tackle, and Donald is going to really suffer if Fairley ever starts opposite him. I know that Brockers isn't the sexy option for you, but the guy has gotten the job done ever since he was drafted. He's stuffed the run, took up two blockers every time he stepped on the field last year, and I will argue that he made an impact in every single game in 2014. Even when he didn't get stats, he created room for Donald, Quinn, Long, and anyone else who was blitzing at the expense of his own stats. He did that without a single complaint, without bitching and moaning, and now you think that Fisher's just going to hand that job over to someone like Fairley, who will never be a nose tackle, who has serious character issues, who has even more serious motivation issues?

No. That is never going to happen. You have a bigger chance of a meteor demolishing your car than that happening. Hell, it's more likely that Fairley shows up to camp overweight or that he gets popped for another DUI than the scenario you're describing.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
As nervous as Nick Foles makes me, Nick Fairley was a great pick-up....I also think we have a place for Akeem, but I would have rather had a rookie...Not sure how good Akeem is at run defense....I've seen Fairley dominate some linemen....excellent push...But I thought Langford had done well too...

fearsomefour

Legend
As nervous as Nick Foles makes me, Nick Fairley was a great pick-up....I also think we have a place for Akeem, but I would have rather had a rookie...Not sure how good Akeem is at run defense....I've seen Fairley dominate some linemen....excellent push...But I thought Langford had done well too...
Langford is solid for sure. Fairley probably is more talented than Langford and is costing less. One year deal. It would not surprise me at all if the Rams draft a D-lineman this year.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
When is the last time that Fisher ever put two undersized defensive tackles together in the same game on anything other than long passing downs on the Rams or the Titans? Maybe he did with Jurrell Casey and someone else, but I guarantee you that he did not start them together. Fairley is not a nose tackle, and Donald is going to really suffer if Fairley ever starts opposite him. I know that Brockers isn't the sexy option for you, but the guy has gotten the job done ever since he was drafted. He's stuffed the run, took up two blockers every time he stepped on the field last year, and I will argue that he made an impact in every single game in 2014. Even when he didn't get stats, he created room for Donald, Quinn, Long, and anyone else who was blitzing at the expense of his own stats. He did that without a single complaint, without bitching and moaning, and now you think that Fisher's just going to hand that job over to someone like Fairley, who will never be a nose tackle, who has serious character issues, who has even more serious motivation issues?

No. That is never going to happen. You have a bigger chance of a meteor demolishing your car than that happening. Hell, it's more likely that Fairley shows up to camp overweight or that he gets popped for another DUI than the scenario you're describing.

I never said anything bad about Brockers like your acting. All I said was if Nick plays at the level he was playing in Detroit, consistently, who knows whats going to happen. You do realize Nick has been playing at a very high level, right? he's just inconsistent mostly due to injury. He was on his was to having a monster season before going down last year. Like it or not your not Fisher, so, once again your opinion, just like mine. IS NOT A FACT.

I'm done, Peace.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nick Fairley was an awesome pickup. I think he'll play around 50% to 55% of the snaps. He'll give Donald and Brockers plenty of rest as well as taking over for Brockers on passing downs. I expect big things from him. He's one of the best interior disruptors in the league. Just needs to stay healthy and motivated.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I never said anything bad about Brockers like your acting. All I said was if Nick plays at the level he was playing in Detroit, consistently, who knows whats going to happen. You do realize Nick has been playing at a very high level, right? he's just inconsistent mostly due to injury. He was having a monster season before going down last year. Like it or not your not Fisher, so, once again your opinion, just like mine. IS NOT A FACT.

I'm done, Peace.

I never insinuated that you did. And Fairley was not playing at a high level. He was fat, injured, and got arrested for DUI over the offseason. He should have gotten multiple one-on-ones with Suh dominating the way he did, and he never really took advantage of them. One sack. Same as his rookie year.

I may not be Fisher, but I sure as hell know that he won't put two three-techs on the field at the same time as starters, especially three-techs who are both under 295 lbs. He has never done that. Ever. I know that it's an opinion, but I go off of facts. Again, Brockers has done nothing to lose his job. Fairley has done nothing to earn it. And you know that if he gets another DUI, that's an automatic two-games, and you're suddenly down a tackle. You know that if he shows up to camp overweight (and he has always had trouble with weight), he's not going to be effective for at least as long as Ogletree was, if not longer.

He is what he is: a high-risk, high-reward pickup. I see much more risk than reward.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Langford is solid for sure. Fairley probably is more talented than Langford and is costing less. One year deal. It would not surprise me at all if the Rams draft a D-lineman this year.

Even when Fisher is as thick & talented as any NFL defensive line currently, Fisher will always be looking for DL prospects @ all times. Sure wished I thought he felt that way on the other side of the ball would comfort me some.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Color me skeptical. Talented, but I don't even think a one-year contract will keep him from freaking up. I know that Fisher's done a lot of good with young guys like Jenkins, Johnson, and Ogletree, but Fairley's been around for four years, he has four DUIs already, and he's lazy as hell.
I wouldn't be so sure. He reported in in really good shape, and appears to be buying what Fishers selling! He wouldn't be the 1st NFL player to change his ways and become Great! A certain WR who played for the Vikings comes to mind!

Memento

Name
Jemma
I wouldn't be so sure. He reported in in really good shape, and appears to be buying what Fishers selling! He wouldn't be the 1st NFL player to change his ways and become Great! A certain WR who played for the Vikings comes to mind!

Randy Moss never changed his ways. He was probably the only lazy player who actually had the talent to be in the Hall in spite of it. Even then, he didn't reach his fullest potential; he could've easily been the greatest player of all time if he had the heart for it.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Randy Moss never changed his ways. He was probably the only lazy player who actually had the talent to be in the Hall in spite of it. Even then, he didn't reach his fullest potential; he could've easily been the greatest player of all time if he had the heart for it.
I was referring to "Chris Carter"! He changed his Bad habits and became great! Not Randy Moss.