Where is this Offense Going?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FLramFAN

Rookie
I'm of the opinion that Fish simply decided that things needed to be simplified again. He's going to run these multiple TE sets until the running game and the protection are near flawless. THEN, I'd expect to start seeing some of the spread offense start getting sprinkled in again.
There's simply no way that you spend the draft picks and the money that the Rams spent on speed guys to decide you are going to run a power offense permanently. I think this plays right in to the idea that 2014 is basically when the Rams Coaching Staff and Management expect the Rams to start being true contenders deep in to the play-offs.
I'm concerned that "Schotty" may be gone after this year and these young guys may be learning another offense (would be the 4th in 5 years for Bradford) again. The way that Fisher has obviously taken over and changed the way the offense is calling its plays the past 2 weeks doesn't bode well for "Schotty" in my opinion.
So... what do you do when you are built for a speed offense but winning with the power game? Do you look to keep building a better power game in the following years or find an OC that can take advantage of the speed you've invested in already?
Where do you think this offense is going?

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
FLramFAN said:
I'm of the opinion that Fish simply decided that things needed to be simplified again. He's going to run these multiple TE sets until the running game and the protection are near flawless. THEN, I'd expect to start seeing some of the spread offense start getting sprinkled in again.
There's simply no way that you spend the draft picks and the money that the Rams spent on speed guys to decide you are going to run a power offense permanently. I think this plays right in to the idea that 2014 is basically when the Rams Coaching Staff and Management expect the Rams to start being true contenders deep in to the play-offs.
I'm concerned that "Schotty" may be gone after this year and these young guys may be learning another offense (would be the 4th in 5 years for Bradford) again. The way that Fisher has obviously taken over and changed the way the offense is calling its plays the past 2 weeks doesn't bode well for "Schotty" in my opinion.
So... what do you do when you are built for a speed offense but winning with the power game? Do you look to keep building a better power game in the following years or find an OC that can take advantage of the speed you've invested in already?
Where do you think this offense is going?

Really, I think learning a new offense isn't all that much trouble. What really hurt Sam was the year Mchoody came into town and they didn't have a full offseason to implement the offense. I believe that was the year that Bradford didn't have a QB coach either. Also, if you were to bring in Cam Cameron, who was Schotty's mentor, there wouldn't be that much of a dropoff. Heck, I bet most of the terminology is the same.

Probably, the only people it would hurt, would be those like Brian Quick. Or the guys that are slower to learn. But after he's made his adjustments to the NFL after such a short history of playing football, he would learn faster.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Since teams weren't respecting the run, Fish had to make it go in order to give Sam more than 2 seconds to pass! Will have to continue this so as to get our speed guys more chances to run longer routes. Seems like pretty normal practice!

FLramFAN

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
rhinobean said:
Since teams weren't respecting the run, Fish had to make it go in order to give Sam more than 2 seconds to pass! Will have to continue this so as to get our speed guys more chances to run longer routes. Seems like pretty normal practice!

Not sure I can agree with this, fully.

When you run 3 TE and 1 RB, add a QB and the 5 OL, you have 1 "speed" guy at WR.

When you have 4 TE, 1 RB, your QB and 5 OL, you have NO "speed" guy at WR.

These formations are power formations and while you may catch the D off-guard by scraping a blocking-type TE in to a short pattern, you aren't going to pick up big yards this way. But, can be successful in the RZ for sure.

Addtionally, it's pretty rate that your 1 "speed" guy at WR in a 3 TE set isn't going to get open deep very often.

Until the Rams can effectively run the ball from offensive sets with only 2 TE, then they are going to be EITHER a power offense or a SPEED offense, but not both. Both is what it usually takes to be dominate. But, in today's penalty-ridden NFL (Pass Interference, Defensive holding, accidently getting too close to the QB) you have a better chance to dominate with one or the other if that's a speed game that is pass heavy.

I love the wins these past 2 weeks but wonder if the power offense isn't really going away from what this team will look like, ultimately, if they should become an offensive powerhouse. They've paid for and drafted guys built for the spread/speed game.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Username said:
To Carolina. To pound them in the asshole.

:plus1:

:nix: Off with their heads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :nix:

jjab360

Legend
Good post.

I think the way we're approaching the offense right now is on a game by game basis. The Texans have a really good pass defense, so we ran the ball down their throats and played off of that with play action. The Panthers are really good against the run, so we might see the Rams spread it out a little more and test their secondary.

F. Mulder

Starter
I think it is, and will continue to evolve, into a more"balanced" offense. They started off trying to beat defenses with receiver "mismatches" but there was no semblance of a run game, the OL had trouble holding blocks, and the new receivers were not in synch with Bradford (and visa versa) so it became a one-dimensional Offense that was pretty easy to defend. Now that they have begun to get some run production by running so many power sets, hopefully if that continues they will run multiple packages. They can combine the power jumbo packages with some 2-3, even 4 WR sets. I don't think Austin is going to disappear nor do I think Cook will suffer when all is said and done. The relative success they've had running vs. Jville and Houston needs to continue and by doing so gives Defenses more things to account for IMO.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
FLramFAN said:
rhinobean said:

When you run 3 TE and 1 RB, add a QB and the 5 OL, you have 1 "speed" guy at WR.

These formations are power formations and while you may catch the D off-guard by scraping a blocking-type TE in to a short pattern, you aren't going to pick up big yards this way. But, can be successful in the RZ for sure.

Addtionally, it's pretty rate that your 1 "speed" guy at WR in a 3 TE set isn't going to get open deep very often.

Until the Rams can effectively run the ball from offensive sets with only 2 TE, then they are going to be EITHER a power offense or a SPEED offense, but not both. Both is what it usually takes to be dominate. But, in today's penalty-ridden NFL (Pass Interference, Defensive holding, accidently getting too close to the QB) you have a better chance to dominate with one or the other if that's a speed game that is pass heavy.

I love the wins these past 2 weeks but wonder if the power offense isn't really going away from what this team will look like, ultimately, if they should become an offensive powerhouse. They've paid for and drafted guys built for the spread/speed game.

Just saying that whoever we're playing has to respect that we can run the ball. That opens up the passing game. If you can run an effective draw play fake, you've accomplished what you're looking for.

nighttrain

Legend
F. Mulder said:
I think it is, and will continue to evolve, into a more"balanced" offense. They started off trying to beat defenses with receiver "mismatches" but there was no semblance of a run game, the OL had trouble holding blocks, and the new receivers were not in synch with Bradford (and visa versa) so it became a one-dimensional Offense that was pretty easy to defend. Now that they have begun to get some run production by running so many power sets, hopefully if that continues they will run multiple packages. They can combine the power jumbo packages with some 2-3, even 4 WR sets. I don't think Austin is going to disappear nor do I think Cook will suffer when all is said and done. The relative success they've had running vs. Jville and Houston needs to continue and by doing so gives Defenses more things to account for IMO.
yup, we are finally seeing some semblance of a running game, which makes the play action pass work. The opposing D having to respect the run is a key to getting SB enough time to pass long
train

Anonymous

If you have players who can execute then there's no reason to run all these exotic schemes. I'm a big fan of 11 v 11. Your guys against mine. Let's line up and see who can make the plays.

That's part of the reason I love short yardage situations, most of the time it's going to be a run and everyone knows it.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
FLramFAN said:
rhinobean said:

Yes but dont forget that with Givens and Cook on the field together, they could potentially be the two fastest players on the field (out of a 3 TE/1 WR formation). We can utilize playaction and create mismatches with Cook (and Kendricks), even taking a deep shot from time to time.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
FrantikRam said:
FLramFAN said:
rhinobean said:

Yes but dont forget that with Givens and Cook on the field together, they could potentially be the two fastest players on the field (out of a 3 TE/1 WR formation). We can utilize playaction and create mismatches with Cook (and Kendricks), even taking a deep shot from time to time.

What most are overlooking, when they go to the "3 TE" sets, that in reality the only reason it is a THREE TE set is by how these players are listed on the roster.

When Harkey is lined as a FB, Kendricks as an inline TE, Cook is then lined up wide, this is the prototypical "21" personnel package. This is the pure definition of the "I" or "offset I" formation.

And MOST teams have to run out of some form of a FB/H-back, with an inline TE. We continue to make it sound like this is some sort of admission of weakness. When in fact its as pure as it gets when you want to be able to RUN THE BALL out of a traditional formation.

That they have a hard time running the ball out of a spread formation, when the approach was to continue trying to run a power scheme should not be a surprise. If they were committed to wanting run out of the "spread" then they would have been forced to run much more of a zone scheme, which is completely foreign to anything they have tried since they have been here.

People still want to put it on the O-line, when they are blocking against 6 and 7 man fronts, even out of 3 WR formations. When you try to run a power running game between the tackles, and you are relying on a 5 man unit to block even a 6 man box, you aren't going to win many battles.

Combine that with the lack of production from Kendricks in the same role he was used in last year, and voila, no running game when you use all these spread concepts.

I think the biggest mistake was made in the preseason, when they virtually ignored trying to establish any kind of running game, and if you recall, made a point of showing that they would and can take their shots with the deep ball to Givens.

This pretty much assured teams of taking that part of the offense away from them, which in and of itself would NOT be a bad thing. But then to think they could rely EXCLUSIVELY on a short passing game as a substitute for the running game was a HUGE miscalculation of their talent.

This approach was backwards, IMO. Their entire passing game, regardless of the "new toys" still has to be a by product of a successful running game.

As I have mentioned since training camp, the most effective way for this "talent" to be productive, was to do the SAME THINGS they have shown to do well, but do it with better players.

If and when they get back to using the play action passing game, players like Cook, Austin, Kendricks, Quick and Givens now all become even more dangerous.

It will force teams into playing more 7 and 8 man fronts, which is a GOOD thing in the play action passing game.

When they prove they can effectively RUN THE BALL, then mismatches can be created by personnel and formations.

They came out here, thinking they could throw all this "speed" and "talent" at teams, and throw it all over the field. The problem was, teams took away the deep game, played primarily zone against them, which took the threat off the board.

I realize it may not be as exciting to watch as some might want to see, but putting up 24 offensive points, against what was the #1 rated defense in the league is nothing to ignore. I for one, don't care "how" they accomplish it, or "who" is scoring, just that the team does in fact put the points on the board.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
CoachO said:
FrantikRam said:
FLramFAN said:
rhinobean said:

What most are overlooking, when they go to the "3 TE" sets, that in reality the only reason it is a THREE TE set is by how these players are listed on the roster.

When Harkey is lined as a FB, Kendricks as an inline TE, Cook is then lined up wide, this is the prototypical "21" personnel package. This is the pure definition of the "I" or "offset I" formation.

And MOST teams have to run out of some form of a FB/H-back, with an inline TE. We continue to make it sound like this is some sort of admission of weakness. When in fact its as pure as it gets when you want to be able to RUN THE BALL out of a traditional formation.

That they have a hard time running the ball out of a spread formation, when the approach was to continue trying to run a power scheme should not be a surprise. If they were committed to wanting run out of the "spread" then they would have been forced to run much more of a zone scheme, which is completely foreign to anything they have tried since they have been here.

People still want to put it on the O-line, when they are blocking against 6 and 7 man fronts, even out of 3 WR formations. When you try to run a power running game between the tackles, and you are relying on a 5 man unit to block even a 6 man box, you aren't going to win many battles.

Combine that with the lack of production from Kendricks in the same role he was used in last year, and voila, no running game when you use all these spread concepts.

I think the biggest mistake was made in the preseason, when they virtually ignored trying to establish any kind of running game, and if you recall, made a point of showing that they would and can take their shots with the deep ball to Givens.

This pretty much assured teams of taking that part of the offense away from them, which in and of itself would NOT be a bad thing. But then to think they could rely EXCLUSIVELY on a short passing game as a substitute for the running game was a HUGE miscalculation of their talent.

This approach was backwards, IMO. Their entire passing game, regardless of the "new toys" still has to be a by product of a successful running game.

As I have mentioned since training camp, the most effective way for this "talent" to be productive, was to do the SAME THINGS they have shown to do well, but do it with better players.

If and when they get back to using the play action passing game, players like Cook, Austin, Kendricks, Quick and Givens now all become even more dangerous.

It will force teams into playing more 7 and 8 man fronts, which is a GOOD thing in the play action passing game.

When they prove they can effectively RUN THE BALL, then mismatches can be created by personnel and formations.

They came out here, thinking they could throw all this "speed" and "talent" at teams, and throw it all over the field. The problem was, teams took away the deep game, played primarily zone against them, which took the threat off the board.

I realize it may not be as exciting to watch as some might want to see, but putting up 24 offensive points, against what was the #1 rated defense in the league is nothing to ignore. I for one, don't care "how" they accomplish it, or "who" is scoring, just that the team does in fact put the points on the board.

:plus1: Good Post Coach.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It does feel like the Rams are better positioned for mismatches with the adjustments of late. Fisher was right when he said we got to run the ball. And since then; we have.

I hope to see more downfield throws in this transition. We saw a few more shots last week... which is good.

But we need a few more and a few plays designed for Tavon out of the backfield, in space, and stretching the field. He's got the talent to be a factor, it's obvious... but he's not had his name called much.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
CGI_Ram said:
It does feel like the Rams are better positioned for mismatches with the adjustments of late. Fisher was right when he said we got to run the ball. And since then; we have.

I hope to see more downfield throws in this transition. We saw a few more shots last week... which is good.

But we need a few more and a few plays designed for Tavon out of the backfield, in space, and stretching the field. He's got the talent to be a factor, it's obvious... but he's not had his name called much.

Agreed. If Tavon isn't getting snaps in the slot, give him DR's role in the back-field.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
CoachO said:

Nice. Hell - Even I could follow THAT.

fearsomefour

Legend
CoachO said:
FrantikRam said:
FLramFAN said:
rhinobean said:

Great post Coach O. Very insightful. The mismatches will come out of play action I agree. Good to see Harkey contributing as well. Individual talent is not as important as the parts working together. Casual fans get caught up in playing GM (I include myself in this....it is fun) without always seeing the big picture. It is reassuring to see the coaches adjust and adapt on the fly.
The Houston game was a perfect storm in a way. Offense off to a decent start and then the D made plays and scores and created enough distance the offense didnt have to worry about pressing. Pound the ball. Love it.