Where do you think the Rams will be most improved in 2012?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Where do you think the Rams are going to be most improved?

• 1. Defensive line

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • 2. Secondary

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • 3. Wide receiver

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • 4. Quarterback

• 5. Running game

• 6. Offensive line

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Sando says...

Defensive line. The Rams also addressed their secondary, which was going to improve simply through better health. But with defensive tackles Kendall Langford and Michael Brockers joining the rotation, St. Louis now has four young starters on its line. Chris Long and 2011 first-round choice Robert Quinn are the others. The team still needs help at linebacker, but the brightened outlook at defensive tackle provides the foundation for improved run defense. That's important in a division featuring Marshawn Lynch, Frank Gore, Beanie Wells and others.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... t-improved

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Re: Where do you think the Rams will be most improved in 201

I say running back. Steven Jackson is still Steven Jackson, but now that we have drafted Pead, we finally have a capable backup. Aside from that, guys like Richardson, Middleton, and Schwieger bring a lot to the table. It'll be a very interesting camp, but I think that they'll come out with guys who are capable at holding down the fort when Jackson needs a break.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Memento said:
I say running back. Steven Jackson is still Steven Jackson, but now that we have drafted Pead, we finally have a capable backup. Aside from that, guys like Richardson, Middleton, and Schwieger bring a lot to the table. It'll be a very interesting camp, but I think that they'll come out with guys who are capable at holding down the fort when Jackson needs a break.
Interesting. I take it you think the O-line is not only better suited for the running game, but will be improved in that regard?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

X said:
Memento said:
Interesting. I take it you think the O-line is not only better suited for the running game, but will be improved in that regard?

I think that the O-line is actually more suited toward a passing game; while Wells and Dahl are good run-blockers, I think that they - and Saffold - truly excel at pass-protection. Smith's a damn good run-blocker though; if he stays healthy, we can run to the right side all day long. Left guard is completely up in the air, though, so I can't really say that they've improved all that much.

I just think that the running back has more depth than it's had in a long time. We have young guys who can play. We drafted Pead in the second round and Richardson in the seventh. We picked up two interesting UDFA backs in Middleton and Schwieger. Don't get me wrong; running back wasn't a weakness with Jackson, but now we don't lose an entire element of our offense when we take him out for a breather. So, I believe that the running back position has improved based on that aspect alone.

Speeps

Starter

Secondary. We got torched last season by opposing teams passing attacks. With the addition of Cortland Finnegan, Janoris Jenkins, and Trumain Johnson, plus the return of Mikkel, Stewart, Murphy and Fletcher, I think this secondary will be one to reckon with.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory

Memento said:
X said:
Memento said:

I think that the O-line is actually more suited toward a passing game; while Wells and Dahl are good run-blockers, I think that they - and Saffold - truly excel at pass-protection. Smith's a damn good run-blocker though; if he stays healthy, we can run to the right side all day long. Left guard is completely up in the air, though, so I can't really say that they've improved all that much.

I just think that the running back has more depth than it's had in a long time. We have young guys who can play. We drafted Pead in the second round and Richardson in the seventh. We picked up two interesting UDFA backs in Middleton and Schwieger. Don't get me wrong; running back wasn't a weakness with Jackson, but now we don't lose an entire element of our offense when we take him out for a breather. So, I believe that the running back position has improved based on that aspect alone.

I thought Cadillac did a pretty good job backing up Jackson last year. Now, I think Pead will be better, but not as much improvement as our D Line and especially, what got my vote, the Secondary.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame

Speeps said:
Secondary. We got torched last season by opposing teams passing attacks. With the addition of Cortland Finnegan, Janoris Jenkins, and Trumain Johnson, plus the return of Mikkel, Stewart, Murphy and Fletcher, I think this secondary will be one to reckon with.

Yep. Agreed. I still have nightmares about Torry Smith matched up against Justin King.

Surprised WR has no votes so far.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

libertadrocks said:
Surprised WR has no votes so far.
I know, right?

bluecoconuts

Legend

Really so many options. I think most areas are going to see jumps and improvement... My guess is D-Line though, none of those 200+ yard run games against crap.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

I said O-line - er... if we're going by percentage of improvement. There really is no where to go but up with a bullet. Of course maybe that is me hoping. Because if they are not the most improved unit on the team, we may be looking for a new QB in the 2013 draft.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

I'm not one for prognostications ... but I have to say WR.

I'm not going to expect any rookie WR to come in and play like a Pro-Bowler, but I still see the most potential for improvement in this group of players.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

Secondary. D-Line close second. This defense has real potential to be scary, quickly.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael

I voted for the secondary...not because of a lack of talent. I did think that when healthy our CBs: Bartell, Fletcher, Murphy, Gordy were pretty good. But with all of the injuries, the CBs who were starting at the end of the year, were terrible. Now with Finnegan, Jenkins, Fletcher, Murphy, Johnson and Gordy, I would be shocked if you could find a more talented secondary from top to bottom.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim

O-line. Not so much because of personnel changes, though I like the depth that much more, but because of health, a full offseason and the position coach hire (Boudreau). I expect to see a higher confidence level from our starters and backups, which would be leaps and bounds above what we saw last year.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

QB. Sam will haev a rebound year, and be a candidate for comeback player of the year.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny

I chose secondary also, but really it's by virtue of what I expect to be an improved d-line too. I really like the new blood in the defensive backfield, but I'm guessing the new additions on the line will mean getting in the QB's grill quicker, giving receivers less time to get separation. Pretty exciting stuff!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Warner4Prez said:
I chose secondary also, but really it's by virtue of what I expect to be an improved d-line too. I really like the new blood in the defensive backfield, but I'm guessing the new additions on the line will mean getting in the QB's grill quicker, giving receivers less time to get separation. Pretty exciting stuff!
That's a fascinating chicken-egg discussion in its own right. You could say that a stout D-line would give receivers less time to get separation because of the pressure they create on the QB; thereby creating more turnovers. OR. You could say that a stout secondary could create a lot of coverage sacks by not giving receivers any separation; thereby giving the D-line more time to get the QB.

Luckily, for us, Fisher is trying to create both at the same time.

BOOM. Coverage sacks in 4 seconds.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg

I voted secondary. I am rooting for my guy "Tru" to be a big part of the secondary having a great year.