Where do you get your news?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
In this day and age there are so many places to get information. The thing is for me is which places are good sources or unbiased as possible? Just wondering where everyone else goes for their information on current events.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Can't limit it to any one source or even a few. If I really want to verify something, I find stories and try to go backward on their sources and history. I haven't found a source or a reporter without a fair bit of bias.

fearsomefour

Legend
A bunch of places....if I am really interested in something I try to do some research. If I have an existing opinion about something I try to find information that proves I am wrong and work backward from there. A huge problem I am seeing now in the media and in society as a whole is confirmation bias. Having an opinion and only looking at sources that confirm that opinion. I want the opposite usually. Its the best way to learn. Every now and then I read stuff and it confirms I what I believed, often times not.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
A bunch of places....if I am really interested in something I try to do some research. If I have an existing opinion about something I try to find information that proves I am wrong and work backward from there. A huge problem I am seeing now in the media and in society as a whole is confirmation bias. Having an opinion and only looking at sources that confirm that opinion. I want the opposite usually. Its the best way to learn. Every now and then I read stuff and it confirms I what I believed, often times not.
Ah yes, the old scientific method, a lost art. You don't see that done very often anymore. I commend you sir!!(y)

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil

This point about confirmation bias is so true. I'm guilty of it myself to a degree. It's how so many of the major news outlets get away with the tripe that they broadcast/print.

In this day and age, its easier to quickly find alternative view points. The easiest way in my experience is via twitter. There are so many people on there linking to articles about all sorts of subjects. If you follow a wide range of people (in terms of their political leanings for example) on twitter, you can't fail to have a broad range of views/facts/articles right there in front of you on your time line without having to go out and find it yourself.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
Like others, I seek out a lot of sources. I also try to go deeper on issues when I'm interested--for example I may read non-fiction books on a topic to get deeper broader views.

I don't watch a lot of television news.

Stel

Starter
In this day and age there are so many places to get information. The thing is for me is which places are good sources or unbiased as possible? Just wondering where everyone else goes for their information on current events.

No source is unbiased. All "news" shows are competing for advertising dollars so they need viewers. Most people watch "news" shows slanted to their beliefs. The age of the 24/7 news cycle both online and on cable has ruined quality journalism in this country. If there is no news they are forced to blow up some meaningless story, or create a story, or recycle last week's stories with new twists. The bottom line is that there are no more Walter Cronkites.

That said, I read numerous sources and try to separate fact from opinion and spin. BBC World Service is fairly unbiased from an American perspective - they tend to find our politics humorous.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I try to read all sides and hope that I find the truth somewhere in the middle. I end up just not believing anything. There are no facts anymore - just takes.

beej

Rookie
here is a good example of the necessity of multiple news sources. compare these 2 articles the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. But the thing that I find interesting is that CNN seems to be more interested in what people who are far from the story are tweeting than reporting the actual story, or digging in to the background of the what started it all in the first place.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/04/us/oregon-wildlife-refuge-protest/

http://theconservativetreehouse.com...uge-in-protest-to-hammond-family-persecution/