When will Rams get more out of Higbee, Cooper?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.dailynews.com/sports/201...ms-get-more-out-of-tyler-higbee-pharoh-cooper

THOUSAND OAKS >> A few months ago, UC Irvine buzzed with hype around a couple of mid-round gems.

It was training camp, after all, the time when — barring injuries — fans are most often filled with optimism and potential about their NFL teams. For the Rams, who had just returned to Southern California after more than two decades, that dynamic was no different.

No, top overall pick Jared Goff hadn’t yet seized the starting quarterback job, but that felt only like a matter of time. And when he did, he’d have a pair of young targets to throw to in Tyler Higbee and receiver Pharoh Cooper, the Rams’ two fourth-round picks.

Head coach Jeff Fisher wasn’t shy about their promise. In early August, he described Higbee as a potential red-zone target, saying that the 6-foot-5 tight end had a chance to play early and be “a big-time part of our offense.” Two weeks later, he added that Cooper was “obviously” one of the Rams’ top three receivers.

Fast forward through eight games, however, and the duo has combined for just four catches and 40 yards — 31 of which came on Higbee’s grab against the Panthers on Sunday. (Goff, of course, remains on the bench despite starter Case Keenum’s struggles through a four-game losing streak.)

Cooper’s start to the season was delayed by a shoulder injury, but the Rams have not consistently dressed him for games even after he got healthy. Higbee’s absence from that stat sheet is more inexplicable. Coming out of Western Kentucky, the scouting report was that he — like many other college tight ends — needed to develop as a blocker, but had good hands and the body control to make catches in traffic.

“Obviously, I’ve been asked to do a little bit more than I did in college,” Higbee said, when asked about blocking. “Originally, I was struggling a little bit with it. But I’ve come a long way with that — technique, stuff like that.”

Still, the Rams have been confident enough to give him 196 offensive snaps, including 60 in his last two games. That he’s good enough to get be on the field with the offense more than 37 percent of the time would suggest that his blocking has come along.

And yet, before this past weekend, he had only seen seven targets. If he’s already on the field, why not make use of his best talents?

Asked what he wants to see out of both Higbee and Cooper before using them more as pass-catchers, offensive coordinator Rob Boras said that their lack of production isn’t solely a function of their individual performance.

“You can run a good route and not get the ball thrown to you,” Boras said this week. “I know not everybody might recognize it. We see a guy creating separation, but the play design, or the progression, or the shell of the coverage might not have dictated the ball will go that direction.”

Cooper might have a tougher path ahead. Veteran receiver Brian Quick, who has been relatively productive after an awful preseason, has passed him on the depth chart. And this is an offense that hasn’t successfully gotten the ball to big names like Todd Gurley and Tavon Austin, whose touches have decreased sharply in the last couple of weeks.

“For all intents and purposes, we’re going to continue to work him in,” Fisher said of Cooper. “He’ll probably see a little bit more playing time offensively. I’m pleased with where he is right now. We just need to get the ball in his hands.”

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
this is one of the most annoying aspect regarding this year is the total lack of "impact" for our draft class (i have high hopes for Higs and coop) ....and whilst i realise a draft isnt necessarily for that year but the years beyond ..but its still vexing that we havent got more from our rooks

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
TE don't usually contribute much in their 1st year and Cooper had been injured
Goff and Higbee were roomies in TC and seemed to have a little spark when they played together, so we'll see about that.
But like @JIMERAMS said, its unlikely with our "current" QB

whitedk57

Ram fan for life
Name
Duane
What about Spruce? It seems he is constantly injured and not ready. He showed true promise, I thought, in the preseason. Maybe his body is not ready for the rigors of the NFL, and he's getting a lot of soft tissue injuries? Maybe it's like EJ, and one injury led to another?

I don't know, but he seems like he could be a 3rd down answer...

jap

Legend
Patience, patience!, patience!!! The rookies need to perfect their route running, learn to absorb NFL-caliber hits, and soak in a more comprehensive playbook than they have ever seen before. Besides, Case isn't exactly the most accurate passer on the team. Johnny Hekker will tell you he's not the second most accurate either!

Perfecting route running will lead to greater separation, which, in turn, leads to more wide open catches and, hopefully, less vicious hits. Of course, accurate placement of the rock can help to maximize 'catchability' and mitigate the hard knocks too . . . so a lot of this rookie maturation may await the advent of our 'lord & savior,' the Man with the Golden Arm.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://www.dailynews.com/sports/201...ms-get-more-out-of-tyler-higbee-pharoh-cooper

THOUSAND OAKS >> A few months ago, UC Irvine buzzed with hype around a couple of mid-round gems.

It was training camp, after all, the time when — barring injuries — fans are most often filled with optimism and potential about their NFL teams. For the Rams, who had just returned to Southern California after more than two decades, that dynamic was no different.

No, top overall pick Jared Goff hadn’t yet seized the starting quarterback job, but that felt only like a matter of time. And when he did, he’d have a pair of young targets to throw to in Tyler Higbee and receiver Pharoh Cooper, the Rams’ two fourth-round picks.

Head coach Jeff Fisher wasn’t shy about their promise. In early August, he described Higbee as a potential red-zone target, saying that the 6-foot-5 tight end had a chance to play early and be “a big-time part of our offense.” Two weeks later, he added that Cooper was “obviously” one of the Rams’ top three receivers.

Fast forward through eight games, however, and the duo has combined for just four catches and 40 yards — 31 of which came on Higbee’s grab against the Panthers on Sunday. (Goff, of course, remains on the bench despite starter Case Keenum’s struggles through a four-game losing streak.)

Cooper’s start to the season was delayed by a shoulder injury, but the Rams have not consistently dressed him for games even after he got healthy. Higbee’s absence from that stat sheet is more inexplicable. Coming out of Western Kentucky, the scouting report was that he — like many other college tight ends — needed to develop as a blocker, but had good hands and the body control to make catches in traffic.

“Obviously, I’ve been asked to do a little bit more than I did in college,” Higbee said, when asked about blocking. “Originally, I was struggling a little bit with it. But I’ve come a long way with that — technique, stuff like that.”

Still, the Rams have been confident enough to give him 196 offensive snaps, including 60 in his last two games. That he’s good enough to get be on the field with the offense more than 37 percent of the time would suggest that his blocking has come along.

And yet, before this past weekend, he had only seen seven targets. If he’s already on the field, why not make use of his best talents?

Asked what he wants to see out of both Higbee and Cooper before using them more as pass-catchers, offensive coordinator Rob Boras said that their lack of production isn’t solely a function of their individual performance.

“You can run a good route and not get the ball thrown to you,” Boras said this week. “I know not everybody might recognize it. We see a guy creating separation, but the play design, or the progression, or the shell of the coverage might not have dictated the ball will go that direction.”

Cooper might have a tougher path ahead. Veteran receiver Brian Quick, who has been relatively productive after an awful preseason, has passed him on the depth chart. And this is an offense that hasn’t successfully gotten the ball to big names like Todd Gurley and Tavon Austin, whose touches have decreased sharply in the last couple of weeks.

“For all intents and purposes, we’re going to continue to work him in,” Fisher said of Cooper. “He’ll probably see a little bit more playing time offensively. I’m pleased with where he is right now. We just need to get the ball in his hands.”
I like these young men and the idea of getting them more involved, But, with the performances of Kendricks - Britt - Quick - Austin and the Team trying to use Gurley in the Passing game, I don't see them getting a lot of Touches!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Count me among those that had apparently set unrealistically high expectations for these two rookies.

Then again, there were a few "experts" that had considered Higbee a 2nd round talent but for the off field issues. Ironically, those have been non existent since he was drafted, BTW.

And he was reportedly lighting it up in camp, plus into preseason games.

So it's kinda understandable that we fans got a little excited back then.

Incidentally, Higbee's drops have been a real puzzler. Wasn't he known for flypaper hands in college?

And Cooper? Mr Swiss Army knife weapon?

Call me a broken record, but I'll say it once again. A Fisher O is where skill players go to die.

Ram65

Legend
Coopers been hurt. Higbee seems to be thinking a little too much. He is getting playing time but, just needs a little more seasoning.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
A year after we get more out of Jamon Brown.

fearsomefour

Legend
Brian Quick advises Cooper to take his time....
Higbee is a terrible blocker right now. That has to get better.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Obviously rooting for all our rookies. But... Just watching Higbee... he seems to possess the most mismatch potential.

It's not there yet, but you can see it.

Cooper is a player with potential too. But I give Higbee the edge based on physical traits at their respective positions.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think we're just starting to see Higbee come around. We all know Coop has been injured so it is hard to say anything about his progress as of yet. I'm starting to think (pronounced "hope") that we are setting this thing up for a huge coming out party in '17. We will watch them improve and start to get it this year and be ready to hit the ground running next year. Although I still haven't ruled out the playoffs in my mind.

And before you start with me... yes... I'm a homer. Deal with it. :D

ram007

Starter
I like these young men and the idea of getting them more involved, But, with the performances of Kendricks - Britt - Quick - Austin and the Team trying to use Gurley in the Passing game, I don't see them getting a lot of Touches!

Tavon should sit in favor of one of these two at WR

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
They need to keep it simple with Higbee. Quit making him block DEs and LBs, that is not his value to this offense at this place in time. His value is his size, athleticism, and raw ability. That means put him in there in the slot and all of a sudden you have a mismatch in your favor. Most teams do not have a safety or LB who can single up on him with good result snap to snap.

Let him run the routes that favor his size. Slants and Sluggos for example, not the idiotic curl routes our offense is famous for with Tavon. Higgy is huge with a good catch radius, keep it simple, feed him the ball a little in the pattern, and gain an advantage on defenses in your WR rotation.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
IMO, both Higbee and Cooper are emblematic of one of the major problems facing the NFL, developing young talent out of college. Teams are so hamstrung by current practice rules that it's a major challenge to get enough meaningful reps for starters, let alone 2nd and 3rd teamers (where most rookies reside). There are only 14 full contact padded practices allowed during the regular season and 11 of those have to be during the first 11 weeks of the season. Think about that for a second, that means the Rams and most other NFL team only have 5 or 6 padded practices left for the remainder of the season. That means little tackling practice, little full contact blocking, little time run operating an offense or defense at anything close to game speed. Combined with the reductions of padded practices in training camp, there is simply not the opportunity to bring players along as fast as in the past and it's evident in the overall quality of play.

I'm not necessarily advocating more padded practices, in fact, I'd be opposed to it. I just feel that the transition from the college game with it's preponderance of spread offenses to the massive playbook of the NFL is a huge challenge that few can quickly meet.

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm not necessarily advocating more padded practices, in fact, I'd be opposed to it. I just feel that the transition from the college game with it's preponderance of spread offenses to the massive playbook of the NFL is a huge challenge that few can quickly meet.
Not sure if more padded practices are needed but maybe so as I think the agreement swung too far the other direction. I do, however, feel that this BS about no contact with the coaches is killing young players' progress. There is no rational reason that players can't study film, discuss technique, etc. with their coaches during the off season. I can see giving them an amount of time equivalent to long vacations but what they have done IMO is pathetic and it has really hurt the game.