When was SOSAR first used and who used it?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Sorry to bring up bad memories folks. But we were having a discussion on my Rams FB group tonight and this came up. Believe it or not we had one person who couldn't remember what GSOT stood for. I have brain cramps too from time to time, so no biggie. That's why my group is called what it is. We're mostly old.. lol That said..

I thought Ken Norton first coined the phrase after he punched the goal posts at Busch Stadium in 1995? Todd Kinchen kicked and punched the goal posts later that year for the Rams in SF. Unfortunately it only inspired the Whiners.. I could be wrong on Norton Jr. as my feeble memory does that at times. Any help is appreciated.

tempests

Hall of Fame
I believe it was either Dana Stubblefield or Tim McDonald.

And I think it was the first game after the Rams moved to St. Louis.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I believe it was either Dana Stubblefield or Tim McDonald.

And I think it was the first game after the Rams moved to St. Louis.

That was Norton with the Whiners. The game was at Busch in 95. Dome wasn't ready yet.. I think you have confirmed it either way tempests. :cool:

jjab360

Legend
I believe I read somewhere it was Tim McDonald, ironic considering his son's future career path

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Leading up to the Rams first matchup with the niners in 1999, we had lost 17 straight to SF. In 1995 we lost a heartbraking game to SF. That loss was the beginning of our fall from playoff contention in '95. Dana Stubblefield & Ken Norton were the ones who started it. Norton had a pick 6 in the game and excessively punched the goalpost. But it was Stubblefield who uttered the famous "SOSAR" quote during the game. He mocked fans and told them to go home.

If you ever get a chance to watch "America's Game" (A short film on 1999 Rams) D'Marco Farr gives a detailed description of the story.

Big Unit

UDFA
Leading up to the Rams first matchup with the niners in 1999, we had lost 17 straight to SF. In 1995 we lost a heartbraking game to SF. That loss was the beginning of our fall from playoff contention in '95. Dana Stubblefield & Ken Norton were the ones who started it. Norton had a pick 6 in the game and excessively punched the goalpost. But it was Stubblefield who uttered the famous "SOSAR" quote during the game. He mocked fans and told them to go home.

If you ever get a chance to watch "America's Game" (A short film on 1999 Rams) D'Marco Farr gives a detailed description of the story.
This is approximately correct. First year the Rams were here, they started out something like 4-1; winning some close games; I think with Chris Miller at quarterback. Games were still at old Busch Stadium, with the Dome not yet complete. The Niners came to town, with the Rams at 4-1, and in a new City; beat the Rams something like 44-6, including a pick-6 by Ken Norton Jr., who punched the goalpost in the end zone after his interception. I was there - it was a brutal dose of reality, and a brutal introduction to the Rams-Niners rivalry. After the game, some Niner - could have been Stubblefield - used the term. New city, gaudy record, it didn't matter, he said; they were the "Same old sorry-ass Rams". Made us eat those words til the game in '99.

Funny that the Rams are in ascendency now, the Niners falling; it's as if the two franchises are on a seesaw - interminably linked; very seldom are both teams either good or bad at the same time.

reggae

Pretty sure it was Bruce Collie who said same old sorry assed rams

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I think there's confusion on who first said "same ole rams". But it was Stubblefield who added "same ole sorry ass rams". I remember watching that.