When is a Sack not a Sack?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
http://www.talkoffamenetwork.com/when-is-a-sack-not-a-sack/

When is a Sack not a Sack?
By Rick Gosselin

Talk of Fame Network

Deacon Jones invented the football term “sack” but, in the NFL’s eyes, he never collected one.

Jones revolutionized defensive line play with his fierce pass rush from the left side for the Los Angeles Rams in the 1960s. With all the Hall of Fame quarterbacks that decade — Unitas, Starr, Layne, Tittle, Van Brocklin, Jurgensen and Tarkenton — harassing the quarterback became a defensive premium.

No one did it better than Jones, who used a violent head slap to gain an edge on offensive tackles blocking him. His ability to collapse the pocket and crush quarterbacks sent him to seven consecutive Pro Bowls from 1964-70. He explained that tackling a quarterback was like bagging him and putting him in a sack.

But the NFL did not recognize his term “sack” — or the act of tackling the quarterback as a statistic — until 1982. Jones retired after 14 seasons in 1974 so, if you examine the NFL’s all-time sack list, the Deacon is no where to be found.

Bruce Smith sits atop the all-time list with 200 sacks, followed by Reggie White with 198, Kevin Greene with 160, Chris Doleman 150.5 and Michael Strahan 141 1/2. In the eyes of the NFL, the 173 ½ sacks that Jones amassed during his Hall of Fame career never happened.

Tell that to the quarterbacks of the 1960s.

The NFL recognizes Strahan as the all-time single-season sack leader with 22 ½. But that’s news to the Dallas Cowboys and Detroit Lions. The Cowboys credit Harvey Martin with a 23-sack season in 1977 and the Lions list Al “Bubba” Baker with a 23-sack season in 1978.

The NFL record book says Mark Gastineau of the New York Jets was the first defensive player to reach the 20-sack plateau with 22 in 1984.

But in addition to Baker and Martin, the record book discounts the 22-sack seasons of Jones in 1964 and 1968, a 22-sack season of Coy Bacon of the Cincinnati Bengals in 1976 and another 21-sack season by Jones in 1967. All are listed in the individual club record books.

The NFL is the wealthiest league in the world with billions of dollars in revenue. It’s time the league spent a little pocket change to update its record book.

Get the sack stats researched and updated to give the players who taught the NFL the art of the pass rush the credit they deserve as defensive pioneers. Just because the NFL kept its eyes closed until 1982 didn’t mean all those sacks didn’t happen.

Follow Rick Gosselin on Twitter at @RickGosselinDMN

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Sucks for Deacon. He had 26 sacks one year and then 24 the next back in 67-68 if they counted.
Unofficially he had 173.5 in his career, which amounts to 18.4 per season. Redonkulous.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Sucks for Deacon. He had 26 sacks one year and then 24 the next back in 67-68 if they counted.
Unofficially he had 173.5 in his career, which amounts to 18.4 per season. Redonkulous.

He never had a single sack. Look at the record books.

Just typing that feels so ridiculous I can't describe it LOL.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Seriously, give those men their accolades. Even baseball is looking at what guys did back then, and baseball is the stiffest, most rigid and unchanging sport there is.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Seriously, give those men their accolades. Even baseball is looking at what guys did back then, and baseball is the stiffest, most rigid and unchanging sport there is.

Except in ONE way that has always made me wonder "why the eff do they do that".

The size of the field isn't standard. It's the dumbest thing.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
When is a sack not a sack? When Michael Brockers blows up the Guard and takes the QB down in text book fashion. Sorry - I'm still pissed about that call.

Pretty sad that Deacon is recognized almost universally as the best pass rusher to ever play the game yet will never get true credit for sack records he would hold possibly forever. But it is not in the NFL's interest to have unbreakable records. Fans get totally hyped to see records fall and the NFL is aiming to cash in on that. Pretty hard to blame them for that actually. But they could give an accurate tally along with maybe an asterisk. Something.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Except in ONE way that has always made me wonder "why the eff do they do that".

The size of the field isn't standard. It's the dumbest thing.
I think it's for game purposes, you know exciting hitters in launchpads knocking 8 bombs out a series and exciting pitchers in pitcher friendly parks getting a nohitters. Other than that I have no reason why it couldn't be standard.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
When is a sack not a sack? When Michael Brockers blows up the Guard and takes the QB down in text book fashion. Sorry - I'm still pissed about that call.

Pretty sad that Deacon is recognized almost universally as the best pass rusher to ever play the game yet will never get true credit for sack records he would hold possibly forever. But it is not in the NFL's interest to have unbreakable records. Fans get totally hyped to see records fall and the NFL is aiming to cash in on that. Pretty hard to blame them for that actually. But they could give an accurate tally along with maybe an asterisk. Something.

You nailed it.

When is not a sack a sack?? When you give an extra one out of nowhere to Robert Mathis because you don't want a St Louis Ram to win an award for best player...

You nailed it.

When is not a sack a sack?? When you give an extra one out of nowhere to Robert Mathis because you don't want a St Louis Ram to win an award for best player...

Where did that sack actually come from? I remember Quinn had a lead on the Saturday of week 17, then I wake up on game day to the news that they'd suddenly discovered Mathis had another sack from somewhere WTF? At least we all know that Quinn is the legitimate Deacon Jones award winner now it turns out Mathis is a drug cheat.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

It would be real easy to verify Deacon's stats, as he himself said once " ...All they have to do is go through the film vaults at 'NFL Films' they have all my Sacks on film their!...". Sounds like a 'NO BRAINER' to me!!!!:rolleyes:

BuffaloRam

Pro Bowler
Where did that sack actually come from? I remember Quinn had a lead on the Saturday of week 17, then I wake up on game day to the news that they'd suddenly discovered Mathis had another sack from somewhere WTF? At least we all know that Quinn is the legitimate Deacon Jones award winner now it turns out Mathis is a drug cheat.
Mathis wasn't a drug cheat, he was struggling to get pregnant... Seriously though, that phantom sack he was credited was reminiscent of Strahan "breaking" the record.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Mathis sack was legitimate. At first it was ruled and interception, but when reviewed by NFL it was a forced fumble resulting in a sack and it flew beyond LOS. So, the official scorer got it wrong and was corrected under normal review process.

Here is the clip, they ruled Alex Smith had an empty hand and his arm forced it beyond LOS, not his hand

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/...ex-Smith/9af9579e-c834-4232-8c50-2755d87399bc

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

RaminExile

Hall of Fame

I know right??!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I think it's for game purposes, you know exciting hitters in launchpads knocking 8 bombs out a series and exciting pitchers in pitcher friendly parks getting a nohitters. Other than that I have no reason why it couldn't be standard.

I know......but that makes it even dumber doesnt it LOL.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Once Mathis was busted for drugs he should have lost the award.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Every team site has a different embed code, so it's not worth adding 31 other media tags.
Not complaining. Just saying to people who have questions about Mathis' sack can see it, but it takes a little more effort than usual. But you can see why it was ruled an INT at first, then looking at game tape, they called it a sack.