When are the Rams going to address the WR 'issue'?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
eb264b1a-61ff-11df-aadb-00127992bc8b.preview-620.jpg

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... z1ph6XCCb2

QUESTION: The Rams seemingly have done pretty well early in free agency, upgrading the defensive line, adding an All-Pro center and securing a top-notch CB. But they still haven’t addressed what many fans see as the team’s most glaring weakness – wide receiver. Where is this team going to find a couple of quality wide receivers?

JIM THOMAS

There’s not much left at the position in free agency. The wide receiver shelves were cleaned out quickly, so barring a trade of some kind – which seems unlikely – the Rams are almost limited to getting help via the draft. And at No. 6 overall, there’s no guarantee that Justin Blackmon of Oklahoma State will be available. So yes, the team is in a bit of a predicament at wide receiver.

BRYAN BURWELL

Clearly they believe the best chance of doing that is in the draft. Why overpay for talent in free agency if you have better grades on the wide receiver talent coming out of college? The Rams should be able to take care of that with either the first- or second-round picks.

JEFF GORDON

Well, there’s always the NFL Draft. The Rams have filled several holes in free agency and more work remains on that front. That marketplace seems pretty well picked over, but the draft will provide ample opportunity to upgrade skill and depth. The process of upgrading this roster for 2012 will continue right into the season. And by acquiring future No. 1 picks, the Rams reminded us this will be a multi-year overhaul.

MIKE CLAIBORNE (Host of “The Sports Hub” on KMOX)

Pretty well? I think I will reserve judgement on just what the Rams have done in free agency, as we have traveled this path before with guys that were supposed to be an improvement – as I should remind you of all of the free agent offensive linemen brought in by the previous regime. While the Rams have signed a Pro Bowl center, how are guys like that allowed to leave their previous team? Salary cap? Perhaps, but considering how important offensive linemen are (see Rams for lack of) how does Green Bay allow him to leave? I am hoping that instead of signing a guy who can no longer play, the Rams have signed a player of the ilk of Adam Timmerman, perhaps the best free-agent signing the St. Louis Rams have ever made.

The Rams cannot fix everything they need to in free agency and the draft. This will take time. Just because they have the money to spend does not mean they need to throw it away on players who are not that good. In free agency you have to remember the player is a free agent because his contract has expired and the team he played for is prepared to move on without him, not that he is a potential savior of the team, let alone future Pro Bowler. Good scouting and recognizing talent is now even more important for the Rams future.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Hopefully through the draft.

I want a young WR that will develop with the core of the roster.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Never.

They've decided to trade for Tim Tebow and eliminate the WR position altogether.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
MerlinJones said:
Never.

They've decided to trade for Tim Tebow and eliminate the WR position altogether.
I like it. Then sign 9 sumo wrestlers and forget about the passing game. Just stack everyone up on the line, suck all the defenders in, and STEAMROLL. Draft Richardson and use the rest on defense.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
X said:
MerlinJones said:
Never.

I like it. Then sign 9 sumo wrestlers and forget about the passing game. Just stack everyone up on the line, suck all the defenders in, and STEAMROLL. Draft Richardson and use the rest on defense.

You know what, it's just crazy enough to work. Plus the sumos' will open up the Asian market for the Rams.

Only one word to describe this plan; visionary.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
MerlinJones said:
X said:
MerlinJones said:
Never.

You know what, it's just crazy enough to work. Plus the sumos' will open up the Asian market for the Rams.

And everyone thought we were crazy for doing the 3-year deal in London. We're not done gaining international exposure yet!!

We also have to find a way to get Jeremy Lin and Yao Ming involved to help the marketing of the team.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Gunja is in the house? :sly:

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
And do you know what the Lama says? "Gunga galunga...gunga- gunga lagunga." So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know?"

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
BatteringRambo said:
And do you know what the Lama says? "Gunga galunga...gunga- gunga lagunga." So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know?"

He says oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you'll receive total conciousness. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

steferfootball

Starter
JdashSTL said:
MerlinJones said:
X said:
MerlinJones said:
Never.

And everyone thought we were crazy for doing the 3-year deal in London. We're not done gaining international exposure yet!!

We also have to find a way to get Jeremy Lin and Yao Ming involved to help the marketing of the team.
Asia is an untapped market filled with like 30 billion people. This will work. You guys should be put in charge of more things.

steferfootball

Starter
I will be very disappointed if we don't grab a wideout in the first two rounds. Ideally two within the first three.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
I think if the Rams get Blackmon at 6 they could wait a bit to draft a second receiver, addressing the defense or running back in round two.

I'd be pretty happy to see Brian Quick from App State sitting there at the top of round three (I don't know where he's projected to go so he may be gone by that point).

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
MerlinJones said:
I think if the Rams get Blackmon at 6 they could wait a bit to draft a second receiver, addressing the defense or running back in round two.

I'd be pretty happy to see Brian Quick from App State sitting there at the top of round three (I don't know where he's projected to go so he may be gone by that point).

I hope that is the way it plays out. OLB, DT, RB are pretty big needs too and wouldn't be disappointed to see those addressed before a 2nd WR is picked. Matter of fact, I kind of expect it.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
JT wrote an article today: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... 5468c.html

In it there is a part in which he wrote something along the lines of previous regimes and this one believe you can find a WR later in the draft. Then he wrote if that's true why haven't we found one since Holt/Bruce left? I think that's what others and myself are wondering too. I hope we do find one because we really need at least one starter and possibly two.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
brokeu91 said:
JT wrote an article today: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... 5468c.html

In it there is a part in which he wrote something along the lines of previous regimes and this one believe you can find a WR later in the draft. Then he wrote if that's true why haven't we found one since Holt/Bruce left? I think that's what others and myself are wondering too. I hope we do find one because we really need at least one starter and possibly two.
That seems to be a popular school of thought. And it's probably true. I mean, think about it. Unless there's a guy who looks like a monster can't-miss-prospect (like Megatron), then it probably stands to reason that the rest of the pack is malleable. Just pick one up that has the prerequisite skills (speed, fluid hips, good hands) and mold them to your liking. Bruce was a 2nd round pick. Chris Carter was a 4th rounder. So was Andre Reed. More recently, Jordy Nelson was a 2nd rounder, Brandon Marshall was a 4th rounder, and two of the top 10 receivers last year were tight-ends. Wes Welker, the 2nd best receiver in 2011, was undrafted.

Which means this, probably. If the Rams don't think Blackmon is by far and away the best receiver in this draft, they probably won't draft him at #6 overall. If their thinking process is as stated of course. And lol - if he's sitting there, and the Rams don't draft him, this fan base is going to lose control of its bowels. Anyway, I've already given them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to scouting receivers this year. If Blackmon's not the guy, then I hope they know who is. And I hope they at least get "that" guy.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Yeah but for every Chris Carter, there are 10 Mardy Gilyards.

I don't like passing on a player b/c of examples of the rare HoF caliber player drafted later. I mean really, if Blackmon checks out (character wise), why not take the best player @ that posistion?

Same for QB, when they bring up "Oh don't draft him, b/c Tom Brady was a 6th round pick!!" Doesn't it apply w/ every posistion?

If he's there, just take the guy.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Angry Ram said:
Yeah but for every Chris Carter, there are 10 Mardy Gilyards.

I don't like passing on a player b/c of examples of the rare HoF caliber player drafted later. I mean really, if Blackmon checks out (character wise), why not take the best player @ that posistion?

Same for QB, when they bring up "Oh don't draft him, b/c Tom Brady was a 6th round pick!!" Doesn't it apply w/ every posistion?

If he's there, just take the guy.

I want a WR, but I dont think anyone can argue Blackmon will be the BPA at #6.

Is reaching for a player, at a premier position of need, worth it? I guess that's what our FO will decide. To me it depends who else is on the board.