Whats your favorite John Carpenter movie?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Whats your favorite John Carpenter movie?

• Total voters

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
One of my favorite old school directors. He's made some bad films, but at the peak of is game he was second to none in terms of style, story and character-driven films IMO. His own original soundtracks were great too.

I'm going with The Thing(1982) as his best work and my favorite. Maybe the best remake ever done. It had story,unforgettable characters, amazing pre-CGI special effects, great dialogue and the creep factor was off the charts.
giphy.gif

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
The Thing is one of my all time faves. The atmosphere in that film is super intense. The fx STILL kick ass to this day.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
my band is recording tracks from Escape From New York soundtrack with more of a Goblin influence in there and a bit more dirty
those scenes in the beginning of the movie where Snake is getting the low down were shot at my college Art Center College of Design - they are in the photolab when Snake gets injected with the tracking device - anyway cool shit
Actually met John Carpenter when he was making ghosts of mars (which is crap) and the guy looked pretty damn tired but I guess you would be if you were a frickin' genius

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey Dieter this one of my favorite Carpenter riffs too. I like how he admittedly ripped off Led Zeppelins "Immigrant Song" to get this track going :)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Big Trouble in Little China is one of my all-time favorites. I don't know what it is about that movie. It's just awesome.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Big Trouble in Little China is one of my all-time favorites. I don't know what it is about that movie. It's just awesome.
Kim Cattrall looked good. She was about 30 yrs old at the time.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Kim Cattrall looked good. She about 30 yrs old at the time.
Yeah, that didn't hurt either. Gorgeous eyes in that movie (even if they were contacts). I think it's all the corny lines by Russell that he kept from being actually corny. There was a perfect balance of cheese and comedy from him and he just made that character work.

Jack Burton: Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it." lol. SO CHEESY. And yet, I bought every word of it.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The Fog is up there with The Thing for me. I remember watching this on late night cable at 10 or 11 yrs old alone in the house all night(those were different times...Lol) but anyway, it was the first Carpenter film i ever saw(before Halloween actually) and it creeped me out. It wasn't really scary but just plain creepy with that music and ghost story theme. Adrienne Barbeau was sexy...so was Jaime Lee Curtis of course. Its interesting that Jaime Lee's real mother is in this movie too (Janet Leigh from Psycho who got slashed in the shower.)

Classic Carpenter image...
the+fog.jpg

This is a fantastic score he wrote too IMO. Moody, creepy and minimalistic. This is a long audio vid, but worth a listen if you've got an extra hour to spare. Excellent haunted house music if you're into that stuff on Halloween.