What’s wrong with Thursday Night Football?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/03/whats-wrong-with-thursday-night-football/

What’s wrong with Thursday Night Football?
Posted by Mike Florio on October 3, 2014

thursday_night_football_logo.png

Four short-week games have been played this season, and not a single one has been very good to watch.

The Ravens beat the Steelers, 26-6. The Falcons blasted the Bucs, 56-14. The Giants won in Washington, 45-14. And last night the Packers pummeled the Purple Paste Eaters, 42-10.

So what’s wrong with Thursday Night Football? It’s still possible that it’s simply the luck of the draw, and that these games would have been snoozers on a Sunday, too. With anywhere from 10 to 13 other games played on every given Sunday, bad games don’t stand out the same way they do when there’s only one game to watch, to discuss, to debate, and ultimately to criticize.

If the blowouts continue, however, it will be time to look more carefully at the potential causes. It could be that any gaps in talent become more pronounced when the two teams have less time to prepare. It also could be that injuries that otherwise would have healed by Sunday result in something other than the best players being available, like last night whenTeddy Bridgewater wasn’t able to suit up for the Vikings.

It ultimately could be that consistently expecting teams to play with only three days off between games isn’t the best way to get the most competitive contests.

Regardless of whether it’s the start of a trend or a fart in the wind, Thursday Night Footballis going nowhere. With the NFL now the only property capable of delivering a live eight-figure audience on a consistent basis, the short-week games will continue — and the networks will continue to throw money at the NFL for the privilege of televising the games.

CBS secured the right to do so for this year. Next year and beyond, the games could be on NBC. The quality of the games won’t matter, as long as the games continue to deliver the eyeballs.

But if the short-week games still stink, this is one stooge who won’t stay silent and/or gripe about how people from networks who didn’t win the contract are making snarky remarks about the poor quality of play. Absent honest complaints about the problems withThursday Night Football, the product could deteriorate to the point that the eyeballs find something else to eyeball.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/03/the-nfl-wants-you-to-know-thursday-isnt-that-bad/

The NFL wants you to know Thursday isn’t that bad
Posted by Darin Gantt on October 3, 2014

20030425007100510.jpg

Yes, Thursday Night Football has been craptastic the last few weeks.

But the NFL would like to point out it’s not any more craptastic than normal.

Good solider/NFL spokesman Michael Signora isdutifully tweeting out the stats on Thursday night games, which the league would like to remind you haven’t always been quite this craptastic.

He mentions that since 2006, the average margin of victory in Thursday games is 13.6 points. In non-Thursday games (i.e., ones played with a normal amount of rest) 12 points.

Also, he pointed out that since 2012, home teams in non-Thursday games have a better winning percentage than home teams on Thursdays (.588, 314-220-2 vs. .579, 22-16).

That’s all well and good, and there’s clearly some recency bias at work here, since all we’ve seen are clunkers lately.

It’s clear that players hate playing in these games because of the toll it takes on their bodies, and if that’s the reason the product on the field is suffering, then something will need to be done.

But the number that matters most is $250,000,000, which is what CBS paid for what was supposed to be a better slate of games than ESPN was getting for Monday Night Football.

Which means they’re going nowhere, and we all have to hope this is a statistical blip and not a trend.

fearsomefour

Legend
Who knows? Run of bad luck with games. A team like Minnesota having a ton of missing pieces. A short week of prep making it harder for the less talented team to get "coached up" to cover some weaknesses?
That picture is great. That is a cool, calm, collected spokesman. He looks neither shocked nor awed.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm going with one team has so many injuries due to the short week, it's short changing the contest. 3 more days off to the next Sunday is huge for guys that are sore.

rams2050

Starter
I really don't think it's fair to the players to have to play on such short rest. After all, it's their bodies on the line, not the Ginger Man's nor his NFL minions'.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Just make it so the two Thursday night teams are coming off a bye as often as possible. You'll have two fresh teams with extra time to prepare, and the players will like that much more than a short week.

A55VA6

Legend
I don't think there's anything wrong with it, it's just bad teams playing good teams the past couple games. I love having football on Thursday nights but the product has been pretty bad. I hope it improves over the season because I would hate to see them take it away.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Its FREE football. Hope it stays that way. I don't care about how competitive it is.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
The Vikes - Pack game is SUPPOSED to be good. It's one of the more storied rivalries. Looking at the schedule at the beginning of the year any reasonable fan would circle that contest. Both teams had a short week. It is interesting that Thursday games always seem to suck.

That Iraqi information minister image made me laugh. Goodell should hire this guy. He would be taken about as seriously.

01681bff5157ac7f65684835976c1b981379b2b7d12e4a71b26166bf477f83f4.jpg

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Nothing is wrong, if your a, Steeler, Falcon, Giant, or Packer Fan! Personally I hope the Trend continues, at least through Week #10 when we Beat The Cards!:D

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick
I don't care. Thursday night?? NFL football?? No complaints here.

GO RAMS!!!!