Whats the word on Jake Long?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ED_29

I have heard nothing about where he is in his progress. Something tells me the Rams will open with Saffold at LT

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
He can't be that far off starting or we'd have drafted another starting OL.

They considered it. They would've gone that direction had Donald not been available.

Jeff Fisher reiterated on radio yesterday that they fully expect Jake Long to be ready for Week 1. Setbacks can occur, but as of now they sound pretty confident.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
If they're that confident of Long's rehabilitation, why were they willing to trade back up for Martin?

Surely that was a case of BPA over need?

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
It was mostly a case of BPA. I don't think Long being unavailable for a game or two was going to weight majorly on a decision that's going to affect them over the next 4-5 years. I also read that they felt Martin would be able to play center when everyone is healthy. They really appreciate those versatile linemen.

Could you imagine? Long-Robinson-Martin-Saffold-Barksdale? Sheesh.

I prefer Donald, but that's a lot of beef.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
... but that's a lot of beef.

So is this:

image.jpg

Doesn't mean much.

* now that I think about it, that burger would be more effective at slowing down pass rushers than would most NFL offensive lines.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have heard nothing about where he is in his progress. Something tells me the Rams will open with Saffold at LT

It was said not too long ago that Long is expected to be ready for Training Camp.

ED_29

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
They considered it. They would've gone that direction had Donald not been available.

Jeff Fisher reiterated on radio yesterday that they fully expect Jake Long to be ready for Week 1. Setbacks can occur, but as of now they sound pretty confident.
I would love somebody to snap a picture of him... just to see what he looks like

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
It was said not too long ago that Long is expected to be ready for Training Camp.

Exactly. You guys should take the front office's word for it. Long was at the pre draft party, wasn't he? I thought I read that he was walking around fine.

I think moving up for Martin was more because of his ability to play every position on the line, and play it well. Not because of Long's injury.

RamsFan14

Starter
I'd have Robinson play LG but also have him take reps at LT so he can slowly gain experience. I think Long will be back sometime in training camp but my question with him is... Would it be smart to put him at LG? You think that could preserve his health? Idk if playing guard vs tackle has any difference in injury rate, I'm just applying that logic based on Saffold staying healthy at RG. It's kinda silly to think that... Just a thought.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I'd have Robinson play LG but also have him take reps at LT so he can slowly gain experience. I think Long will be back sometime in training camp but my question with him is... Would it be smart to put him at LG? You think that could preserve his health? Idk if playing guard vs tackle has any difference in injury rate, I'm just applying that logic based on Saffold staying healthy at RG. It's kinda silly to think that... Just a thought.
Honestly, given the questions with Robinson's pass blocking ability, I'd rather slide Saffold back over to LT if Long either can't go or gets reinjured again down the road. And that's even with the durability concerns with Saffold there.

Obviously, the Rams feel the pass blocking should develop later, but I'd really hate to have that question mark watching Sam's blind side right now.

Saffold is at least experienced at LT, even if he's turned into a better guard.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Nah. Long needs to stay at LT.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
So they say Long will be ready for week one. I'll take their word for that and assume it will happen. But will he be ready for week 2, 3, 4, 5..........? That's where my concern lies with Jake Long. I have pretty much zero faith he'll survive the year without another major injury. The sooner they can get someone else who can take over his spot the better IMO.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Jake Long was one of the players who made an appearance at the Pre-Draft event last week for season ticket holders. He said he was ahead of schedule and fully anticipated being ready to participate in training camp. He was walking fine, and Snead even joked about seeing how well he "ran" up he steps to the stage.

He looked to be in great shape, as Bradford did. They both commented that because they had a LEG injury, they were still able to work the upper body and core. Barring any setbacks, I cannot imagine he wont be ready to start the season. But I would full expect they LIMIT his training camp reps, even more so than thy did last year.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame

I don't usually speculate O line positioning at all. But with Robinson being such a key addition and knowing his limited experience as a pass blocker, I'd probably put him on the right side and run that way. This should provide superior pass blocking on the left with Long and Saffold, plus enhance the running game using Saffold as a pulling guard with our new road grader on the right side, good grief, can you imagine?....then again, what do I know?