What's the biggest factor that separates the "winners" from the "losers"?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TXRams86

The Infamous
I'm curious to get everyone's opinion on this.

I know that we're going to have a lot of comments saying that it's a combination of factors.
If you had to pick one factor that separates consistent winning teams from consistent losing teams, what would it be?

I personally think that it's tailoring your offensive and defensive systems to fit your players strengths. You can have a decent head coach who stubbornly forces his philosophy on a team that just isn't equipped to run it. We see this today with Fisher and our team; although I don't consider Fisher a decent coach.

I feel like our abomination of an offensive system is so overly complicated that it's actually hampered Goff's growth and ability to see the field. Granted, I'm not at practice everyday seeing his progression. His inability to get on the field, in my opinion, tells me everything about the coaching staff's confidence in his understanding and execution of our offense. I would expect any good coaching staff to tailor their offense to fit their future franchise QB's strengths. Even if he isn't going to hit the field until next year, at least you have a system he understands and is comfortable running.

On the defensive side of the ball, we also run a complicated system while consistently fielding one of the league's youngest teams. When a couple of starters go down, our system falls flat on it's face. It's hard to say our "bend but don't break" system actually works when we're consistently giving up 3rd and forever and letting teams score 28 or more points in 4 out of 6 games. Defense is definitely not one of our strengths this year and I haven't seen any changes short of getting Forrest in there at LB and using Donald at DE on occasion.

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
I can't even comprehend this while the shehawks is going on.... f'n Luckett, they are..

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
59320351.jpg

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Refs just handed Seattle a win btw. Sherman grabs Julio's arm and pull him to the ground before the ball arrives. No call...

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Refs not calling obvious dpi. How do the seagulls always get away with it?

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
Winning attitude/culture.
You can TALK about winning all you want. You can say all the right things and sound like you've been there and done that. But if you can't back it up and you don't have that winning mentality, you aren't going to win shit.

I'm sorry, but Fisher isn't a winner. At least not in my opinion.

I don't have even 25% of his football knowledge, but I know people and I know when someone is full of shit.
I have seen people at work ( and Im sure most of us have) come in and try to ACT like they're going to change things and take things to the next level. They might ruffle a few feathers, make some unnecessary changes and shake things up a bit... but in the end, they fizzle out and don't end up improving a damn thing.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
IMO its Discipline. Plain and simple. If you play disciplined you're playing with sound technique and following your assignment. Lesser talented guys strive if they are disciplined in everything they do. When you stray from discipline everything else starts to crumble around you. You can have all the talent in the world but if you play undisciplined it won't get you very far.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
coaching!! for example, the 4 games the Patriots played without brady. they have never had a RB or a dominant wr besides moss
some will say Welker but it's a system that they can plug people in and succeed.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
To stick with the Op Question, instead of talking about the 'Hags!!
To me it's Coaching and Execution! Simple!

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Whatever it is this coaching staff has none of it.

WoodsideRam

Rookie
Talented, high football IQ players, that are committed to winning. I would throw selfless and willingness to be coached in there as well.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Coaching and a success plan. I thought Stan had a great plan. Bring in a coach and GM who are on the same page. Let them do there jobs and not interfere. I still think the success plan is great. It just appears they got the wrong coach. For the record I would of picked Fisher too, but I also would of moved on from him by now.

TomMack

Rookie
IMO its Discipline. Plain and simple. If you play disciplined you're playing with sound technique and following your assignment. Lesser talented guys strive if they are disciplined in everything they do. When you stray from discipline everything else starts to crumble around you. You can have all the talent in the world but if you play undisciplined it won't get you very far.
I couldn't agree more and I think that's where the New England cheating patriots excels over everybody else.

FRO

Legend
1- Consistency. This is the most inconsistent team in the league and has been throughout Fisher's tenure.

2- The team never has good play from all three phases at once for a prolonged period of time. Some days the defense is great, but the offense isn't. Others it's vise versa. They don't play well collectively over a period of time.