What's next for Rams in free agency?: Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
What's next for Rams in free agency?
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/6815/whats-next-for-rams-in-free-agency

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams have said goodbye to their share of free agents in the past week and held on to a pair of projected starters in guard Rodger Saffold and linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar.

Although the Rams' relative inactivity on the market was expected, perhaps nobody expected it to be this slow. Keeping Saffold was a big, albeit lucky, move that allowed the team to retain its top offseason priority. Dunbar was a low-cost, logical signing that helps solidify another linebacker spot and will give Dunbar a chance to rebound from what was essentially a lost 2013 season.

Aside from those two moves, the Rams have spent time vetting a handful of outside free agents who have visited St. Louis. As of Monday morning, none of those visits have materialized into contracts, however.

Here's a rundown of the players the Rams have expressed interest in or visited with in the past week.

• Offensive lineman Geoff Schwartz is the only outside player the Rams openly chased on the first day of free agency. He figured as a potential Saffold replacement but before the Rams could get a visit, Schwartz was on a plane to New York to sign with the Giants.

• In that same vein, the Rams began bringing in options as possible Saffold replacements in guards Davin Joseph and Daryn Colledge. Both visited St. Louis and left without contracts. Of course, the Saffold saga broke the Rams way while that duo was in town, so any plans to potentially sign either right away might have shifted dramatically with Saffold back in the fold. The Rams could still have interest in adding one of the veteran linemen but they could also wait for prices to drop further. With one-year deals already becoming popular on the market, it seems neither Joseph nor Colledge would command much money or more than a one-year deal.

• The Rams apparently feel better about their situation at cornerback and safety than outside observers. Their interest in Tennessee cornerback Alterraun Verner was superficial at best and a smoke screen at worst. Buffalo safety Jairus Byrd was never an option at his price. As for others, the Rams haven't even visited with a corner or safety a week in. There are still some options out there in free agency, but the market for defensive backs has been extremely active so far, leaving little from which to choose.

• The Rams visited with wide receiver Kenny Britt over the weekend but he too departed without a contract. Britt is apparently healthy and also likely will land somewhere on a one-year "prove it" deal, but reports indicated he was going to visit with New England and Washington and perhaps more before making a decision.

• Quarterback Shaun Hill is expected to visit with the Rams on Monday and could quickly materialize as the veteran backup option to replace Kellen Clemens, who signed with the San Diego Chargers. Hill is 34 but is familiar with Rams quarterbacks coach Frank Cignetti. The Rams attempted to land Hill in 2012, but he chose Detroit instead. Hill would make sense as a veteran placeholder until a potential 2014 draft pick would be ready to step in as the No. 2 behind starter Sam Bradford.

• The usual "waves" of free agency that take a month or so to play out have crashed on shore much faster than usual. The addition of the three-day, pre-free agency negotiating window is probably the reason for the faster spending because agents have a good feel for what clients can land and it's allowed the middle class to find jobs at a record rate. At this point, no matter who the Rams look to add it'll almost certainly be coming from the bargain bin.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Looks like the rams plan on filling the holes at OG, S, CB, LB, DT via draft. I really doubt rams draft a WR early unless they don't plan on addressing all the problem areas listed above

Alan

Legend
upload_2014-3-17_14-48-45.jpeg

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So far they seem to have overpaid Cook and Finnegan. I think they got Jake Long for a decent price, if he can return to full health. Overall though I like their lesser known free agent moves much better. Dunbar and Hayes along with some of the filler like Giordano. So, I am fine with the lower risk way of doing things in free agency.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

The St. Louis Rams have said goodbye to their share of free agents in the past week and held on to a pair of projected starters in guard Rodger Saffold and linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar.

• The Rams apparently feel better about their situation at cornerback and safety than outside observers. Their interest in Tennessee cornerback Alterraun Verner was superficial at best and a smoke screen at worst. Buffalo safety Jairus Byrd was never an option at his price. As for others, the Rams haven't even visited with a corner or safety a week in. There are still some options out there in free agency, but the market for defensive backs has been extremely active so far, leaving little from which to choose.

I am very happy with the signings of Saffold & Dunbar. Both starters and both very important & both still young vets...yes very happy I lllok that both will have outstanding 2014 season.

Fisher & Williams have three talented young healthy corners in 25 yr old JJ, 24 yr old Trumaine & 23 yr old McGee. McGee is our fastest CB & runs a consistent 4.4 all day....Fisher let it be known many times that he expects big things from Brandon McGee who flipped back & forth between WR & CB @ Miami. Fisher also signed up the smaller Darren Woodard who was a UDFA who looked very well in TC & Pre season and hooked up on the PS all of 2013...Demoff signed the 24 yr old Woodard up till 2016. I do expect Quinton pointer to be signed @ sometime before OTA's Pointer would be five. So currently we have four of our last years Ram corners signed. I do expect a talented CB one who can cover the slot very well to be selected during the first two days of the draft. I expect the CB to come before the safety! I would also add that they have found a back up Nickle in safety Rodney McLeod.

The four current signed safeties of 25yr old Daniels, 24 yr old McLeod, & pair of 23 yr olds in Davis & McDonald. It would not surprise me if Snead does not draft a safety until the third day. Cody Davis may be the fastest DB the Rams have it would be a good foot race between McGee & Davis. Once again I am far apart from all the rest of the ROD ville cadre on the projected drafting of a safety. I hold the four signed Ram safeties we have now in much higher regard than most all. If Daniels can remain healthy you are going to see some serious hitting ongoing. If Davis gets stronger as I expect he will be you are going to be amazed by his ability to cover so much ground & make plays all over.

Want to do a little review of the top 100 2014 safety prospects like Dix, Pryor, Ward, Brooks, Reynolds & Bucannon in comparison to an unknown Ram back up UDFA safety Cody Davis ? Conduct your review & you will discover that none of those prospects are as fast in the 40. None of those prospects have a better vertical. None of those prospects have a better short shuttle. None of those prospects have a better 3 cone time. Only one has a better broad jump than Davis. Just maybe CoachO is right about these Ram safeties they might just be outstanding in 2014?

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Free-agency review: Rams

By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/6832/free-agency-review-rams
A look at what the St. Louis Rams have done through the first week of free agency.

Most significant signing: There's not much to choose from, but the obvious pick is offensive lineman Rodger Saffold's five-year deal with the team. He was the Rams' No. 1 priority and they were able to land him after one of the most dramatic and bizarre free-agent situations in recent memory.

Most significant loss: It's a tossup between backup quarterback Kellen Clemens and left guard Chris Williams, but we'll go with Williams based solely on the fact that he started all 16 games for the team in 2013. Losing Williams is far from a damaging blow, but that's one starting spot the Rams now have to fill.

Biggest surprise: The crazy saga that was Saffold's near departure to Oakland followed by the quick turnaround and new contract with the Rams is the runaway winner here. The Rams had already moved on to other targets and were in the middle of hosting one replacement (guard Davin Joseph) and had another possibility (guard Daryn Colledge) on the way to St. Louis when the news broke that Saffold's deal in Oakland fell apart. In a matter of hours, the Rams went from scrambling for replacements to landing their top target.

What's next? There's not much to be found on the market after the usual waves of free agency came and went in the first six days. The Rams will continue to explore the bargain bin for depth on the offensive and defensive lines, for a backup quarterback and possibly for help at wide receiver and in the secondary.

Alan

Legend
We lost Pointer already Bonifay.

Cody breaking out would be awesome! The problem with those stats for me is that they don't measure the most important characteristics for a centerfielder. From you observations of his play last year (I know, very small sample) did you see what I saw? Bad angles and not instinctive in space. It's great that he's fast and a good tackler but I don't trust him patrolling the back end.

We need 4 good alternatives anyway so drafting another one and Cody stepping up in his second year would be awfully fine with me. (y)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
We lost Pointer already Bonifay.

Cody breaking out would be awesome! The problem with those stats for me is that they don't measure the most important characteristics for a centerfielder. From you observations of his play last year (I know, very small sample) did you see what I saw? Bad angles and not instinctive in space. It's great that he's fast and a good tackler but I don't trust him patrolling the back end.

We need 4 good alternatives anyway so drafting another one and Cody stepping up in his second year would be awfully fine with me. (y)

Thanks Alan but i would not be surprised to see pointer return to the Rams later.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
Looks like the rams plan on filling the holes at OG, S, CB, LB, DT via draft. I really doubt rams draft a WR early unless they don't plan on addressing all the problem areas listed above

I think the Rams will draft a WR by the end of round two. This is the deepest WR draft in a decade. When you # Wide Receiver Chris Givens is ranked #79, that position is a weakness.

I think we sign some DT depth thru free agency. I see us trading back #2 and #13, getting extra second rounder's for both, and filling all the needs but DT you allude to in your post plus WR. If we get two extra 2nd rounders our first two round mock might look like-

1a. WRSammy Watkins
1b. S Calvin Pryor
2a. OLB Ryan Shazier
2b. G Xavier Su'a-Filo
2c. CB Keith McGill

Or ...
1a. G Greg Robinson
1b. S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
2a. OLB/ Carl Bradford
2b. WR Jordon Mathews
2c. CB/S Lamarcus Joyner

fearsomefour

Legend
I am very happy with the signings of Saffold & Dunbar. Both starters and both very important & both still young vets...yes very happy I lllok that both will have outstanding 2014 season.

Fisher & Williams have three talented young healthy corners in 25 yr old JJ, 24 yr old Trumaine & 23 yr old McGee. McGee is our fastest CB & runs a consistent 4.4 all day....Fisher let it be known many times that he expects big things from Brandon McGee who flipped back & forth between WR & CB @ Miami. Fisher also signed up the smaller Darren Woodard who was a UDFA who looked very well in TC & Pre season and hooked up on the PS all of 2013...Demoff signed the 24 yr old Woodard up till 2016. I do expect Quinton pointer to be signed @ sometime before OTA's Pointer would be five. So currently we have four of our last years Ram corners signed. I do expect a talented CB one who can cover the slot very well to be selected during the first two days of the draft. I expect the CB to come before the safety! I would also add that they have found a back up Nickle in safety Rodney McLeod.

The four current signed safeties of 25yr old Daniels, 24 yr old McLeod, & pair of 23 yr olds in Davis & McDonald. It would not surprise me if Snead does not draft a safety until the third day. Cody Davis may be the fastest DB the Rams have it would be a good foot race between McGee & Davis. Once again I am far apart from all the rest of the ROD ville cadre on the projected drafting of a safety. I hold the four signed Ram safeties we have now in much higher regard than most all. If Daniels can remain healthy you are going to see some serious hitting ongoing. If Davis gets stronger as I expect he will be you are going to be amazed by his ability to cover so much ground & make plays all over.

Want to do a little review of the top 100 2014 safety prospects like Dix, Pryor, Ward, Brooks, Reynolds & Bucannon in comparison to an unknown Ram back up UDFA safety Cody Davis ? Conduct your review & you will discover that none of those prospects are as fast in the 40. None of those prospects have a better vertical. None of those prospects have a better short shuttle. None of those prospects have a better 3 cone time. Only one has a better broad jump than Davis. Just maybe CoachO is right about these Ram safeties they might just be outstanding in 2014?
Will be interesting to see. Pretty clear at this point the Rams have basically no interest in bringing in a CB or S via FA. McGee is the real key. The difference between being two deep or three deep at CB is huge.
McLeod was not good last year. That doesn't mean he can't develop. To me there is nothing proven at S at all. I'm glad the Rams didnt overpay for Byrd.
I would not mind seeing a solid vet type signed to give some depth. One thing with Fisher, he is not afraid to play young players knowing they will take some lumps.
I expect the competition at S to be great this camp/preseason. A lot of what these guys are graded on happens off the tv camera....read and recognize, how quick do they react, angles taken to WR ect. We see a big hit or two on TV and assume that's the guy and he may not be.
Davis measures well in workouts. Ok. Can that be turned into football plays? Who knows?

Alan

Legend
Ramsey with a troublesome memory:
I think the Rams will draft a WR by the end of round two. This is the deepest WR draft in a decade. When you # Wide Receiver Chris Givens is ranked #79, that position is a weakness.
What position does Tavon Austin play? You know, the guy we traded a 1st and 2nd round pick for. Where does Tavon fit in you numbering scheme? Who says Givens is our #1 WR? Who says we even have or need one? Maybe we will draft a WR early but your depiction of our WR corps doesn't match mine. I don't consider our WR corps to be a weakness or a strength. It's somewhere in between IMO. That's OK for me at this point in time. But I'm repeating myself so I'll stop. :censored: :coffee:

The Bus

UDFA
Name
Chad
We need to beef up that offensive line hands down... nothing sounds fun about drafting a Offensive Linemen with the #2 pick... But unless we heckle some team to get there 1st 2nd and a potential next year pick... I say we pick this Robinson guy up while we can. he's a beast... with the second pick.. if Pryor is there, you take him. Then you leave the rest up to the experts ;)

I'd love to draft Sammy Watkins.. but he's not a desperate need when you have Tavon Austin , Stedman Bailey , Chris Givens , and Brian Quick...
With the right protection. One of those guys will Shine.. Beef up the Line hands down...and I'd say start with Robinson. Cause he's one big S.O.B

but besides the draft... and back into FA..

Am I nuts that i'd like to sign Chris Johnson to whatever crazy deal the man wants?
The guy still has some left in his tank... we Discuss beefing up our line... and have Zac Stacy..

Now you have speed on the outside and inside. and you could swap them guys out.. ( stacy and johnson )
and have some fun with some match ups for the other team to have to worry about.

Whats your thoughts?

nighttrain

Legend
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/6815/whats-next-for-rams-in-free-agency

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams have said goodbye to their share of free agents in the past week and held on to a pair of projected starters in guard Rodger Saffold and linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar.

Although the Rams' relative inactivity on the market was expected, perhaps nobody expected it to be this slow. Keeping Saffold was a big, albeit lucky, move that allowed the team to retain its top offseason priority. Dunbar was a low-cost, logical signing that helps solidify another linebacker spot and will give Dunbar a chance to rebound from what was essentially a lost 2013 season.

• The Rams visited with wide receiver Kenny Britt over the weekend but he too departed without a contract. Britt is apparently healthy and also likely will land somewhere on a one-year "prove it" deal, but reports indicated he was going to visit with New England and Washington and perhaps more before making a decision.

• Quarterback Shaun Hill is expected to visit with the Rams on Monday and could quickly materialize as the veteran backup option to replace Kellen Clemens, who signed with the San Diego Chargers. Hill is 34 but is familiar with Rams quarterbacks coach Frank Cignetti. The Rams attempted to land Hill in 2012, but he chose Detroit instead. Hill would make sense as a veteran placeholder until a potential 2014 draft pick would be ready to step in as the No. 2 behind starter Sam Bradford.

• The usual "waves" of free agency that take a month or so to play out have crashed on shore much faster than usual. The addition of the three-day, pre-free agency negotiating window is probably the reason for the faster spending because agents have a good feel for what clients can land and it's allowed the middle class to find jobs at a record rate. At this point, no matter who the Rams look to add it'll almost certainly be coming from the bargain bin.

Cody Davis and McD, I think they might do it.
train

The Rams apparently feel better about their situation at cornerback and safety than outside observers. Their interest in Tennessee cornerback Alterraun Verner was superficial at best and a smoke screen at worst. Buffalo safety Jairus Byrd was never an option at his price. As for others, the Rams haven't even visited with a corner or safety a week in. There are still some options out there in free agency, but the market for defensive backs has been extremely active so far, leaving little from which to choose.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
The Rams apparently feel better about their situation at cornerback and safety than outside observers
I'm sure that our secondary would've been a lot better if they hadn't started every play in a different time zone.

Jenkins and Johnson are more than adequate as starting cornerbacks (Jenks has the ability to be a true "shut down" corner in man on man coverage); we need a third cornerback for our frequent nickel packages.

As for safety, we need the best available. We couldn't afford Byrd, do it has to be HaHa in the draft.