What's Everyone's Current Thoughts On Fisher And Snead?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Need more DATA!!!!!! Need healthy players at key positions....Need good backups if health is still an issue....Need SNEAD to give FISH & CO. the expected players....and backups...Fish is no problem, SNEAD is under the scope....

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I like them both and hope their efforts pan out this year! I'm hoping that Fisher's loyalty to his vets is not the reason Wells and Joseph played when they were sucking so bad this past season! This and bad luck with injuries are what kept the team from winning 10-12 games last year, IMO!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A few thoughts based on things mentioned in this thread:

* I agree about him being a "bridge" coach... at least his record seems to indicate that.
Here's my concern about that:
He'll certainly be here next year. That will be his fourth draft and free agency period. Common thought here seems to be he will/should get another year after that, even if the Rams are at
or below .500.
So, if it does turn out that he was a bridge coach and is gone after the 2016 season, having 5 years of near/below .500 and a new coach comes in, what do you think he will inherit?
A roster that produced 5 seasons of near/below .500? Although the rebuild would certainly be less extensive than what Fisher and Snead had to face, it's still be a starting over of sorts.
More time lost.

* It may be time to stop looking at them though the Spagnuolo/Devaney comparison prism. Like Prime Time said, improving over those results isn't that much of an accomplishment. They should
be congratulated on improving the roster, but I think it's time they stood on their own work. Some point to the overhaul that needed to take place... how few players remain from the prior regime.
OK. To me, that means this is now Fisher/Snead's team and the results are theirs and they stand on their own.

* I would give Fisher a "C". Here are my reaons:
- The continuous slow starts
- The continued lack of discipline
- The average nature of the free agency acquisitions
- The lack of development/inconsistency of too many of the draft picks (especially on offense)
- The decision making (putting all his eggs in the Bradford basket after ACL surgery was one thing. Basically ignoring QB in last year's draft was the real issue for me).

I'm certainly on the fence with him.

Personally, if they go .500 or worse this year, I'd be for letting him go into retirement.

I understand not everyone feels that way, though.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I like them both.
However. If they don't build a respectable oline this season. I wont. At least not as much.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
A few thoughts based on things mentioned in this thread:

* I agree about him being a "bridge" coach... at least his record seems to indicate that.
Here's my concern about that:
He'll certainly be here next year. That will be his fourth draft and free agency period. Common thought here seems to be he will/should get another year after that, even if the Rams are at
or below .500.
So, if it does turn out that he was a bridge coach and is gone after the 2016 season, having 5 years of near/below .500 and a new coach comes in, what do you think he will inherit?
A roster that produced 5 seasons of near/below .500? Although the rebuild would certainly be less extensive than what Fisher and Snead had to face, it's still be a starting over of sorts.
More time lost.

* It may be time to stop looking at them though the Spagnuolo/Devaney comparison prism. Like Prime Time said, improving over those results isn't that much of an accomplishment. They should
be congratulated on improving the roster, but I think it's time they stood on their own work. Some point to the overhaul that needed to take place... how few players remain from the prior regime.
OK. To me, that means this is now Fisher/Snead's team and the results are theirs and they stand on their own.

* I would give Fisher a "C". Here are my reaons:
- The continuous slow starts
- The continued lack of discipline
- The average nature of the free agency acquisitions
- The lack of development/inconsistency of too many of the draft picks (especially on offense)
- The decision making (putting all his eggs in the Bradford basket after ACL surgery was one thing. Basically ignoring QB in last year's draft was the real issue for me).

I'm certainly on the fence with him.

Personally, if they go .500 or worse this year, I'd be for letting him go into retirement.

I understand not everyone feels that way, though.
Yeah. The slow starts are tough to watch.
I want to see our team in mid season form on week one.

Big Unit

UDFA
I like them. In my opinion, the only problem with the NFL game is the dominance of the QB position. It's like what they used to say about racquetball - back when I was younger. If you had a good serve in racquetball, you could dominate. Same with QB in the NFL. "Premium" QBs come along once ever few years; and the success of your franchise is almost totally dependent on having a good one.

Luckiest team in the NFL, in my opinion, is the Colts; for that very reason. They have Peyton Manning for 10-12 years; then in the year the don't have a premium QB, have the worst record in the League; so who do they draft? Andrew Luck. I don't think the Colts have anywhere close to as good a roster as the Rams (Rams beat them 38-8 in Indy in 2013); but a premium QB can wallpaper over many roster problems.

Rams haven't been as lucky; but that makes them part of the rule, not the exception. They've been luckier than the Redskins, right? And who should they have drafted instead of Bradford - Suh? It's a crap shoot. Hit the lottery and get a premium QB, and you're good to go; if not, you MIGHT muddle through; but it's like paddling upstream.

I don't blame Rams football leadership; they've done the best they could; maximized the draft; made a mistake or two in free agency; but I think they're fine. Problem with the Rams is NOT their coach or their GM.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Hate the slow starts and mind numbingly bad penalties. Love most everything else. This team has been hit by the bad luck bug for years now. It's about time the Rams get a little consistency and luck for themselves.

iced

I think Snead has a longer leash than Fish - Fish's season is determined by record and QB play imo

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, in retrospect I think my original post was prompted by frustration to figure out any logical solution for the QB situation. With that being said Fish did a good job keeping the team afloat and he got lucky that Davis decided to go into diesel mode for a few games. Fisher managed to keep the team competitive for most of the season, that was of course before the crash and burn (what was it?) Three game losing streak to finish the season.

This year he has to fully expect the QB position to be an issue, so they way he and Snead handle FA and the draft is going to be HUGE in the way I perceive them.

If the Rams are going to have a winning season this year they're going to have to own the running game, play penalty free football (within reason) and out coach the other team. Only one of which I've seen Fisher succeed in.

Or maybe the football goods will smile upon us and Sam the man will finally be healthy again. I sincerely believe we can win with him.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
My thoughts on Fisher and Snead are mostly positive...but slightly uneasy going into year 4.
giphy.gif

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I was just talking to my buddy who is a Raiders fan. He seems to think we're on the cusp of greatness.

I wonder if we are too close to really have an objective opinion here...

Had we drafted a QB last year we wouldn't be having this conversation.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm probably one of the few people here that just doesn't care about penalties. There's no correlation between less penalties and more success. Seattle and New England were #1 and #2 in the NFL in penalties in 2014...and they were the teams in the Super Bowl.

This team needs a stable QB, a decent OL, and the defense to play at a consistent level in 2015. With that, we're contenders...penalties or not.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I was just talking to my buddy who is a Raiders fan. He seems to think we're on the cusp of greatness.

I wonder if we are too close to really have an objective opinion here...

Had we drafted a QB last year we wouldn't be having this conversation.

The Browns drafted a QB last year and they are still having this conversation.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I'm OK with them ,I said last summer that going into the season with Sam at QB,Long at tackle , Saffold at guard and Wells at center was counting on a somewhat optimistic attitude towards the likelihood of losing too many players on one side of the ball but that for then I wouldn't have a beef UNLESS things turned out badly on a significant amount of those concerns. Well we know how that turned out ,I am very happy with their drafting but I think IF they don't bring in something better to turn to if Sam goes down AGAIN they won't get much confidence from me.

I'm huge on continuity but not mediocre continuity, Fisher was given the 5 year deal like IMO an org. should give a new coach so he doesn't have to be pressed to rectify the deficiencies of his predecessor and has to be renewed or fired before the 4th yr. of the contract because FA coaches are just trouble.

In the end ,undecided but supportive because he still has benefit of the doubt from me

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, in retrospect I think my original post was prompted by frustration to figure out any logical solution for the QB situation. With that being said Fish did a good job keeping the team afloat and he got lucky that Davis decided to go into diesel mode for a few games. Fisher managed to keep the team competitive for most of the season, that was of course before the crash and burn (what was it?) Three game losing streak to finish the season.

This year he has to fully expect the QB position to be an issue, so they way he and Snead handle FA and the draft is going to be HUGE in the way I perceive them.

If the Rams are going to have a winning season this year they're going to have to own the running game, play penalty free football (within reason) and out coach the other team. Only one of which I've seen Fisher succeed in.

Or maybe the football goods will smile upon us and Sam the man will finally be healthy again. I sincerely believe we can win with him.
I'll tell you one thing:
There's a lot of work to do.

1] Got to figure out the QB situation (if it's Bradford, we'll have to keep our fingers crossed. If it isn't Bradford, surely they can't depend on either Hill or Davis (if they are even signed). And, as we've said, the options in freee agency and the draft (unless they make a bold move and trade up) are limited.

2] Whatever solution they come with at QB, the Oline had to get fortified and become a cohesive unit quicklyh in the season. They simply cannot affor fot it to take 6 weeks for the Oline to be what it needs to be... open running lanes and pass protect. A tall order, IMO. At least three of the player on that Oline are likely to be new to the Rams... one might be a rookie. Boudreau has got to get them up an running smoothly very quickly.

Hopefully, these men are up to the task. They need to get out of the gates strong, IMO.

V3

Hall of Fame
I'm probably one of the few people here that just doesn't care about penalties. There's no correlation between less penalties and more success. Seattle and New England were #1 and #2 in the NFL in penalties in 2014...and they were the teams in the Super Bowl.

This team needs a stable QB, a decent OL, and the defense to play at a consistent level in 2015. With that, we're contenders...penalties or not.
It's not the number of penalties as much as it is the kind of penalties and when they happen. The bad ones do matter. Example: Having a 72 yard TD run called back due to holding that didn't even affect the play. The Rams have had their fair share of those kinds of penalties. Those are the ones the Rams have to clean up.

ram007

Starter
QB, OL, CB and safety. If Rams can find a star and a good player at these positions then we will win SB next year.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
The Browns drafted a QB last year and they are still having this conversation.

Screw the Browns. They operate in some other plan of reality.

It's sad that our level of ineptness is being put into the same category as theirs.