What would a breakout season for Cam Akers look like in 2021?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

What would a breakout season for Cam Akers look like in 2021?​

It wasn’t exactly clear who the Rams’ starting running back was going to be last year. They had plenty of options with Darrell Henderson Jr., Malcolm Brown and Cam Akers, but before Week 1, no one truly knew who was going to get the bulk of the carries.

That was the case for most of the season with Sean McVay rotating his backs to either ride the hot hand or out of necessity due to injury. Heading into this season, there’s a much clearer picture in the Rams’ backfield.

All signs point to Akers being the lead runner, based on the way McVay has spoken about the second-year player and the way he finished his rookie season with six games of 80-plus scrimmage yards from Week 11 to the divisional round of the playoffs.

A breakout season is something many fans and analysts expect of Akers, but what would such a campaign look like?

Simply eclipsing 1,000 yards from scrimmage wouldn’t warrant a “breakout” label in my mind. It’ll take much more than that for Akers to truly emerge as a star in the NFL. James Robinson’s rookie season in 2020 would be a good baseline for Akers.

Last season, Robinson rushed for 1,070 yards and seven touchdowns in only 14 games, adding on 344 yards receiving with three more touchdowns. So in total, he had 1,414 yards from scrimmage and 10 total touchdowns as a rookie, which should be deemed a breakout year for the Jaguars running back.

In Akers’ final six games of last season, he had 152 total touches for 792 yards and three touchdowns. That’s a remarkable pace, and absolutely not one he should be expected to keep up in 2021. But if he were to, he would finish with 425 touches for 2,244 yards and about eight touchdowns.

More likely, he could average around 90 yards from scrimmage per game on about 18 touches per week, which works out to 1,530 total yards in a 17-game season. Surely, that would be considered a breakout year.

Pro Football Focus put Akers in a group of second-year breakout candidates this season, writing this about the Rams running back.

PFF’s Ian Hartitz recently wrote about Akers’ chances to get a Todd Gurley-sized workload in the Rams’ offense next season. In that article, there was an interesting nugget from head coach Sean McVay about his plans for Akers in Year 2:

“He’s obviously a great runner, but he’s got ability as a pass-catcher coming from the backfield, and we can displace him and put him in the slot or the outside receiver location.”

If this is the case, Akers may see north of 65%-70% of the Rams’ snaps next season, putting him in prime position to continue his 2020 hot streak.

The biggest question with Akers is his workload. Brown is gone, but Henderson is still in the backfield with Akers, which could lead to a continued share of the touches. But McVay sees Akers as an every-down back, given his skill set as a runner and ability to line up out wide as a receiver.

“Well, I think the more you can have the ball in Cam Akers’ hands, we’re in a good position,” McVay said in January. “This guy’s going to be a big-time player. He got more and more confidence as the season went. I have tremendous confidence in him, and I think [RBs coach] Thomas Brown did such a great job being able to help him continue to mature throughout the season, and I think this guy has an unbelievably bright future.”

Henderson will get his touches, but the backfield should belong to Akers. There’s no reason he shouldn’t get at least 15-20 touches a game this year.

TexasRam

Legend
A Breakout Season would be staying healthy, scoring more consistently around the goaline, and catching the ball out of the backfield. Multiple big gains as well.

I felt he was highly underutilized as a pass catcher. It looked to me like MCvay was not dialing it up for whatever reason.

This Mcvay system is largely predictable at this stage as we saw last year. But a vastly improved run game could bring back the PA to a point where it is deadly again. So if Akers can stay healthy and the new mix on the Oline improves the unit, we could be in business.

dang

Legend
18 carries/game @4.5 tds = 1377 rushing yards. 9 tds
4 catches/ game @8 tds = 544 receiving yards. 3 tds

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With the passing game opening up... look for Akers to get a lot of carries/yardage as long as he stays healthy.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'm thinking around 1200-1300 rushing yards and 10 rushing TD's. Around 500 receiving yards and 4 receiving TD's. That would leave enough snaps for Henderson to get 500 or 600 rushing yards. The Rams should be one of the better run teams in the league. Provided he can stay healthy. Its not like Henderson misses chunks of the season. But it sure seems like he gets dinged up quite a bit. A game here or there. Getting knocked out of a couple more. Limited snaps because he's not 100 percent. That is my only concern about Henderson.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah somewhere in the 1k to 1.2k range with 500 or so in the passing game is what I expect. Depth backs probably pitch in another 500ish on the ground. Maybe Hendy can make a big impact in the passing game too but at some point he will get squeezed by the reality of the weapons and only one ball.

I really do expect a strong run game in 2021. Blythe didn't just fuck up the pass game. He was responsible for a lot of ILBs running free on outside zones which is where the offense will get its big yardage runs in 2021.

Ram65

Legend
I'll start with getting the tough first downs in short-yardage. He is a tough SOB so he should be able to do it with a little offensive help.

Being a three-down back with solid blocking when needed. Staying healthy and getting those extra yards.

Totals 4.5+ YPC for 1300+ yards and 500 yards catching. How about 12-14 TDs or more.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I don't want to put pressure on the kid, so I won't discuss stats. I just want Akers and Henderson to be available the whole season and improve their blocking; both of them are very good pass-catchers, and learning how to pass-protect will only help them.

I don't know if we realize just how young Akers and Henderson are: the former just turned twenty-two; the latter will celebrate his twenty-fourth in August. Neither of them have much tread on their tires either. For that matter, Funk and Xavier Jones (our undrafted darling last year, let's not forget him) are young as well; Jones will turn twenty-four on August, and Funk will turn twenty-four in January.

All I'm trying to say is this: we're loaded with young and skilled talent at the running back position. There's no real need for a bellcow; I'll settle with Akers and Henderson taking a lot of the carries, along with Funk and Jones taking the rest.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

1,600 yards rushing

500 yards receiving

20 tds