What Will Be Rams First Off Season Personel Move?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Those two cases were primarily about CAP costs, both warranted & both need/ed some alteration. My only regret is that the Rams apparently never even offered Chris Long a reduced contract, one he stated he would have accepted. Quinn signed his contract as a top DE in a 4-3 scheme, and injuries have reduced his effectiveness. Quinn has missed starting 17 games since he signed that contract. jmo
Quinn had 8.5 sacks this past year. Anybody that was above him on the list (IE people to replace him) are going to cost as much if not more. Give him a chance with Wade, I really think people are underestimating how difficult it will be to replace him.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I don't know about " Starting Spots" but we definitely need Depth for both Offensive and Defensive Lines! JMO!

Well it depends on who they resign ?
Barron ?
Watkins?
Joyner ?
Quinn ?
Joyner ?
Tru ?
That’s just an example of some of the tough decisions The Rams have to make.

Add
Barwin ?
Sullivan?
It looks like Tavon is going to get cut.

The Rams have a lot of talented players on there roster.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
While I also think Tavon is most likely cut. I did see that he has a big dead money hit if he is cut this year. Would he/they agree to a contract restructure? I don't think a team is trading for him.

With all this in mind. Couldn't we see Tavon cut later in the offseason rather than right away to avoid that dead money hit that will come with cutting him?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So in your opinion then Talib should be a no go ? The Rams have great insight on Talib so it will totally depend on what Wade thinks. That will be totally his call if the money is right ?

To say it doesn’t look like a lot of moves to make is not very accurate,
First there are a lot of players they need to either sign, or test there value.

There has to be at least 5 starting spots that needs to be addressed.

I should have put that last part into a different context. Sure, re signing their own counts as a move technically. But I don't consider it player movement, which is what I was referring to. I expect them to sign most if not all of their players that are free agents. They are 50 million under the cap.

And with Talib, of course it is my opinion. If they feel differently then that is that. But isn't the point of us speculating to say/guess what we think will/ should happen? I know that the coaches can over rule me. I don't really know Talib personally. I just go by the same info everyone else has. From things I have read it sounds like he doesn't fit the mold that McVay wants to shape his roster in.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I've seen enough of Tavon's stutter stepping, side to side running, constant flattering to deceive. He was a fumble waiting to happen every time he received a punt.

I was only patient with him because I always thought Fisher wasn't using him properly. Now that an actual NFL-standard coaching staff has made it clear there's no room for him (having moved away from the fake sweeps etc as the season went on), then I'm happy to see him cut. Just wish it saved more than the $3m I've read.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
He's not a "must sign" but I think Walker played really well in his limited role. He probably wouldn't cost too much.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Cracks me up some of the people advocating cutting Quinn are the same ones that celebrate Chris Long's success the last couple years and regret letting him go :)

The Quinn situation is a combination of things, Oldschool.

His contract
His struggles in Wade’s system
His health

IMO, Quinn is living off of his reputation far more than his current effectiveness. He was once elite, but now seems imminently replaceable. And for far less than his current salary.

Times change and so do players, especially in a new system. Rams need to adjust accordingly. If somehow Snead could arrange a trade along the lines of Bonifay’s speculation I would be thrilled. I mean, Christmas would have come early. TBH, I’m fine with a release.

It’s a business. Time to move on, I’m afraid.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I should have put that last part into a different context. Sure, re signing their own counts as a move technically. But I don't consider it player movement, which is what I was referring to. I expect them to sign most if not all of their players that are free agents. They are 50 million under the cap.

And with Talib, of course it is my opinion. If they feel differently then that is that. But isn't the point of us speculating to say/guess what we think will/ should happen? I know that the coaches can over rule me. I don't really know Talib personally. I just go by the same info everyone else has. From things I have read it sounds like he doesn't fit the mold that McVay wants to shape his roster in.

Well I say about Talib is he pulled some crap while Wade was in Denver. So I’m sure he knows the value. I think McVay would give in quickly if Wade pounded the table. He has the out most respect for Wade.

True we all give our opinions, and you have a solid rapport on things.

There are going to be. Lot of little surprises.Just a couple examples was how quick they made moves without much noise.

Andrew Donnal was cut without much say ? The cool thing was that it made my point on keeping WR’s.Especially after the Sammy Watkins trade. Keeping Mike Thomas over Donnal when he came back on suspension.Reynolds,Kupp,Austin, and then having Pharoh take over KR/PR . Then turn Copper into a pro bowler.

Out of no where cutting Mo Alexander who was a starter ? Just the fact they put Joyner in a good spot to succeed FS.

Those moves shows they real evaluate a players progress, & five every player a far chance to play.

McVay IMO to a fault tried to fit Austin into the rotation as a RB. His hands were tied , and we will see Tavon released really soon.

LBer is a big weakness & concern ? I know Joe Barry will have a good handle on things moving forward. I think that will be the most intriguing thing this offseason.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If I were Les, here's what I'd do...

Tavon: CUT. First move I'd make, having already exhausted trade options. Nobody going to trade for him sadly.
Barron: CUT. Replace him with a combination of Littleton and draft/UDFA additions.
Easely: FA LOSS. Dude doesn't help us from the sideline.
Carrier: FA LOSS. Not going to need him after this offseason, would upgrade.
Walker: FA LOSS. Going to draft NT for depth rotation.
Lucas: FA LOSS. Just A Guy.
I Johnson: FA LOSS. Just A Guy.
Tru: FA LOSS. Great teams don't pay #2 CBs #1 money. Draft replacement.
Sullivan: FA LOSS. Let him get his last payday. Rams have Blythe waiting in wings and draft/UDFA ahead.
Barwin: FA LOSS. They need to make hard decisions and he's one of them. Ebukam & draft/UDFA ahead.
Quinn: TRADE. Move him for best offer to non-divisional team.

Watkins: SIGN. Just do it. WR class in FA and draft is weak. Get 'er done.
Joyner: SIGN. Can't make any more holes for our limited draft resources.
NRC: SIGN. He's a requirement to ensure one draft pick gets us back where we need to be at CB.
Davis: SIGN. Really like him and want him back, at reasonable rate.
Donald: RE-SIGN. Long term deal, I'd go ridiculous in length to spread the record-busting signing bonus over an extra year or longer than most, because I trust him to, as he says, stay hungry.
Saffold: RE-SIGN. He played his @$$ off last season for us. I'd lock him up, but if he gets all crazy with salary expectations the "OL Re-Sign" will become Havenstein. Need one of the three locked up at a minimum.

Graham: FA ADDITION. Delivers potent 12 personnel lineup and redzone/third down not to mention seam-stretching threat that Higs failed to be. 3 year deal.

Draft:
* Maneuver to ensure OLB and CB are addressed in first two picks.
* Defense-heavy in first half, OL heavy in latter rounds.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Quinn situation is a combination of things, Oldschool.

His contract
His struggles in Wade’s system
His health

IMO, Quinn is living off of his reputation far more than his current effectiveness. He was once elite, but now seems imminently replaceable. And for far less than his current salary.

Times change and so do players, especially in a new system. Rams need to adjust accordingly. If somehow Snead could arrange a trade along the lines of Bonifay’s speculation I would be thrilled. I mean, Christmas would have come early. TBH, I’m fine with a release.

It’s a business. Time to move on, I’m afraid.
I did a little looking. He had 8.5 sacks last year. Only half the teams had a player with that many. Most of the players that had more than him are being paid as much or more or are on their rookie deals. A couple of the guys ahead of him had the majority of their sacks in one game like Claiborne for Atl thereby dropping the number of teams below half.

I totally get wanting to upgrade the position and I’m not in the we must keep him camp. I just think people are under estimating him and think it’s going to be easier than it will be to replace him. He has his weaknesses and limitations but so do most rookies or second year guys. There were 8 pass rushers in last years first round and on TJ Watt was in the top 50 in sacks which was 6.5 and above.

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky

Tavon: CUT. First move I'd make, having already exhausted trade options. Nobody going to trade for him sadly.
Barron: CUT. Replace him with a combination of Littleton and draft/UDFA additions.
Sullivan: FA LOSS. Let him get his last payday. Rams have Blythe waiting in wings and draft/UDFA ahead.
Barwin: FA LOSS. They need to make hard decisions and he's one of them. Ebukam & draft/UDFA ahead.

NRC: SIGN. He's a requirement to ensure one draft pick gets us back where we need to be at CB.
Donald: RE-SIGN. Long term deal, I'd go ridiculous in length to spread the record-busting signing bonus over an extra year or longer than most, because I trust him to, as he says, stay hungry.
Saffold: RE-SIGN. He played his @$$ off last season for us. I'd lock him up, but if he gets all crazy with salary expectations the "OL Re-Sign" will become Havenstein. Need one of the three locked up at a minimum.

Graham: FA ADDITION. Delivers potent 12 personnel lineup and redzone/third down not to mention seam-stretching threat that Higs failed to be. 3 year deal.

Draft:
* Defense-heavy in first half, OL heavy in latter rounds.
I don’t think that Graham is the answer. I really want Higbee and Everett to get one more year, but if McVay wants an upgrade then Burton would be my choice. I think he has potential and would come a few million cheaper.

Ram65

Legend
Quinn had 8.5 sacks this past year. Anybody that was above him on the list (IE people to replace him) are going to cost as much if not more. Give him a chance with Wade, I really think people are underestimating how difficult it will be to replace him.

I have been a big Quinn fan. Sacks don't give a clear picture of production. Quinn didn't get much pressures and ran himself out of plays way to much. He did not bull rush to clug the QB's step up lanes. For the most part he was not disruptive He doesn't cut in toward the QB by getting under the OT left pads like he use to. He did seem to get a little better later in the season but, still struggles with getting pressure. He isn't good against the run or in coverage.

This is a difficult situation. His production isn't matching his pay. I don't know who replaces him at this time. It's possible they ask for a pay cut. It's possible they keep him as is for another year. It is past the time they needed to find his replacement.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I did a little looking. He had 8.5 sacks last year. Only half the teams had a player with that many. Most of the players that had more than him are being paid as much or more or are on their rookie deals. A couple of the guys ahead of him had the majority of their sacks in one game like Claiborne for Atl thereby dropping the number of teams below half.

I totally get wanting to upgrade the position and I’m not in the we must keep him camp. I just think people are under estimating him and think it’s going to be easier than it will be to replace him. He has his weaknesses and limitations but so do most rookies or second year guys. There were 8 pass rushers in last years first round and on TJ Watt was in the top 50 in sacks which was 6.5 and above.

You've just helped to make the argument for trading him now while he has some real value left. He'll be 28 years old next season with an injury history having missed 17 games under this contract. 28 isn't old, but when you may be more efficient in another scheme and have possibly maxed out at the position you've been assigned, perhaps that's a sign of the times. He has two years left on his contract for any team willing to trade for him, but the Rams should be able to find better use of the $12mil. + per year in CAP. jmo.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have been a big Quinn fan. Sacks don't give a clear picture of production. Quinn didn't get much pressures and ran himself out of plays way to much. He did not bull rush to clug the QB's step up lanes. For the most part he was not disruptive He doesn't cut in toward the QB by getting under the OT left pads like he use to. He did seem to get a little better later in the season but, still struggles with getting pressure. He isn't good against the run or in coverage.

This is a difficult situation. His production isn't matching his pay. I don't know who replaces him at this time. It's possible they ask for a pay cut. It's possible they keep him as is for another year. It is past the time they needed to find his replacement.
I’m aware sacks aren’t the end all be all stat it’s just one way of illustrating my point. I also state I know he has weaknesses and everybody does. All I’m saying is he’s productive and not nearly as expensive as people think. Replacing him is being made to sound easy and I don’t think it will be. As for drafting his replacement isn’t that something Ebukam was drafted to possibly do?

I probably shouldn’t be arguing for Quinn because people must think I want him around forever which isn’t the case. My point was two fold. It’s not easy replacing a productive pass rusher. And we had these same discussions about Chris Long and now people regret letting him go, will the same happen with Quinn?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You've just helped to make the argument for trading him now while he has some real value left. He'll be 28 years old next season with an injury history having missed 17 games under this contract. 28 isn't old, but when you may be more efficient in another scheme and have possibly maxed out at the position you've been assigned, perhaps that's a sign of the times. He has two years left on his contract for any team willing to trade for him, but the Rams should be able to find better use of the $12mil. + per year in CAP. jmo.
And you’re only responding to half my argument.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
And you’re only responding to half my argument.

Ram65 & Ram43 had previously responded to the other half, and I have in other posts. At $12.mil + he is a risk to consider as an ascending player in Wade's scheme. I get out now while the getting is good. jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don’t think that Graham is the answer. I really want Higbee and Everett to get one more year, but if McVay wants an upgrade then Burton would be my choice. I think he has potential and would come a few million cheaper.

Maybe so. But I'm of the mind that the younger TE is going to be paid better than the old guy coming off a disappointing stretch with the Seahawks. Plus the older guy is the better fit for stretching the seam and the idea of Goff putting up jump balls to him in the endzone is some exciting stuff.

We'll see how things play out.

Rams43

Hall of Fame

I paid a lot of attention to Quinn as I rewatched those games, OldSchool. And I’ve gotta say that Quinn benefitted from fortuitous turns where the QB just ran into his arms while trying to escape another Ram player. It was the damnedest thing. Anyway, I recommend taking some of those sacks with a grain of salt.

And Quinn is weak on run D.

Bottom line? It’s the salary cap impact vs bang for the buck. Quinn is no longer an elite player, yet he’s being paid as such.

Hell, Longacre was outplaying him, when healthy. JMO, of course. Lol.

Ram65

Legend

Draft:
* Defense-heavy in first half, OL heavy in later rounds.

I haven't looked at the free agents much but, Graham to me is what this offense needs outside of more all-pro type offensive lineman. Why wait for Higbee to come around or not come around?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIJ12UrzpKE

Barron: Rams need a stud that can run in coverage and tackle. Barron will not be easy to replace but, the injury concerns are not going away.

Sullivan: Keep him. Won't cost much and still have Blyth as depth

Quinn: Hadn't thought of trade. Could be good idea. Have to find someone to replace him.