" What we learned Thursday: Sam Bradford regressing"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

joeybittick

Rookie
And these numbers:

57.5 completion %, 698 yards, 5.5 avg, 5 TD, 2 INT 7 sacks. That's in 3 games. That QB fucking sucks. He is regressing, his team should get rid of him etc, etc.

Those are Tom Brady's numbers. And those seven sacks, 3 came against BUF when he completed 55.8% of his passes and against the Jets he was sacked once and only completed 48.7% but was playing in the rain. I have a feeling if Bradford played that kind of game in the rain, people like the guy who wrote that article in the OP would not accept the weather as an excuse. They would say he is not "elite/franchise" because "elite/franchise" QBs overcome every single obstacle and play like machines.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/player/tombrady/2504211/gamelogs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/player/tombrady/2504211/gamelogs</a>

And a few more QB's numbers:

1. 60.4%, 848 yards, 7.6 avg, 4 TD ,4 INT, 10 Sacks 0-3 Team Record

2. 58.8%, 931 yards, 8.2 avg, 5 TD, 8 INT, 11 sacks, 0-3 Team Record

3. 65.2%, 658 yards, 7.2 avg, 3 TD, 1 INT, 8 sacks, 2-1 Team Record

4. 68.1%, 909 yards, 7.6 avg, 6 TD, 2 INT, 5 sacks, 1-2 Team Record

5. 60.5%, 744 yards, 6.3 avg, 3 TD, 2 INT, 8 sacks, 2-1 Team Record

The point should be obvious, but I will state it anyway.

Look at those numbers with no names attached. If those were the Rams QB numbers, the fans would be calling for #1 and #2 to be cut based on their individual numbers and the team record, fans would want #5 to be upgraded based on his pedestrian numbers, #3 would be borderline, good completion percentage but "What do completions matter if your QB can't get it in the end zone!!!!!!??????", and maybe, just maybe, #4 would get a pass from the fans UNTIL this number: 1-4. That's "his" playoff record.

So yeah, I am pretty sure fans would hate three of those QB's, and be unsure about the other 2. Those 5 are: (You probably guessed already, right?)

1. Ben Roethlisberger, 2. Eli Manning, 3. Andrew Luck, 4. Matt Ryan, 5. Joe Flacco.

Manning, Big Ben, and Flacco all have rings, Matt Ryan has been in the playoffs 4 out of 5 years, and Andrew Luck is the darling of the NFL, the next Montana/Manning/Elway/Marino only he is going to be better than those guys! The funny thing is, I would say that the guy most would rank last on that list has a ring (Flacco) and Big Ben would probably not go number 1, neither would Eli, and they have multiple rings. What does that tell you? That while the QB may be the most important player on the field, he is not the only player. Team success=wins.

Oh, and it also means that every QB struggles at times, and they often struggle when the team around them is struggling. I realize these numbers are being viewed without career context (which is the point), and I realize that you might say Bradford has not had the success that the other QBs have had (I would say the Rams have not had the success of those teams, but whatever) but that's the point. If you removed the name from the back of the jersey and just looked at the player's numbers, I think people would be giving Bradford more credit for his play.

And if you consider what Bradford has had around him, I have been impressed by his play. I think if people would just take a minute to breath and could distance themselves from the heartache of the season so far, they would see that Bradford has played well in spite of the complete absence of anything resembling a running game AND the absolute enigma that has been the Rams defense so far. When the O-line held up, he looked very good. The last two games they have been atrocious and Bradford still managed to have a decent game against DAL before he looked bad against SF.

This season has been BAD. The TEAM has been BAD. If I can play arm chair psych guy, it's easier to just blame one guy, I think people think if it is just Bradford, than the problem can be fixed easier. It will be a quick cut an paste job, rather than more building and more waiting for this team to be what we all want them to be. If it's just the QB, that can be fixed with one addition. One QB falls loses his job to a younger player (Alex Smith going to KC equaling 3-0) and the Rams plug him in and are Super Bowl bound. Josh Freeman, Michael Vick, they will be out there and maybe people think they are better than Bradford? (I don't, not at all) Or the Rams just draft the next "cant miss Elway-ian" QB and are instantly turned around.

But it's not all on Bradford. And the front office knows that. The coaches know that. And as the (youngest team in the NFL) Rams mature as the season goes on, hopefully fans will be able to see it as well.

…..

Legend
Idiot Author said:
In Tampa, they fire a quarterback of this caliber. In St. Louis, they trumpet his potential to become the NFL's best while taking a pass on a unique talent capable of revitalizing a moribund franchise.

Cheap shot. :nono:

Too bad he didn't go on to back that stupid statement up by trying to convince us how RG3 is lighting it up this year.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Dog said:
Idiot Author said:
In Tampa, they fire a quarterback of this caliber. In St. Louis, they trumpet his potential to become the NFL's best while taking a pass on a unique talent capable of revitalizing a moribund franchise.

Cheap shot. :nono:

Too bad he didn't go on to back that stupid statement up by trying to convince us how RG3 is lighting it up this year.
True.

And full disclosure here...
I actually rolled my mouse wheel up (briefly) to find out who our new poster was with the name "idiot author."
:lol: Well done.

fearsomefour

Legend
Interesting look at stats and QBs, thanks guys.

I think it is a bit of a perfect storm. Losing the threat of Jackson (he was key for other teams D last year) even if he wasnt a big play guy really kept other teams honest. It led to some big plays as the season progressed. Losing Jackson hurt the balance of the offense which has lead to the O being smoothered by coverage....our OC has not been able to adjust making the problem more profound.
Bradford is the guy with this coach....I think he is the biggest reason Fisher came here. I still way more positive with Bradford than negative. The problems are beyond just him. His conservative nature has helped him avoid the truely bad season so many young QBs have. He is younger than Kaperdoodle and was drafted only back in 2010. The chips have been pushed to the center of table with Bradford. To be honest I dont see another alternative that is productive. Vets QB? Forget about it. Drafting a QB in the top 5? Maybe, that may require dumping that second first round pick and I dont see the Rams doing that for someone with no gaurantee of being better than Bradford.
The most likely course of action (unless Bradford loses it and does something behavior wise to get booted out of St. Louis....highly doubtful) is to invest mid round draft picks in the next year or two into the QB position to see if the Rams can find a backup and eventual replacement for Bradford.
The thing that is funny is folks that yell for Bradford to be replaced offer nothing in the way of an alternative that ensures anything but (best case) a young QB who will probably struggle greatly.
So it goes.
Bradford or bust. It aint changing.

A55VA6

Legend
Selassie I said:
From what I see...

He plays the game trying not to make a mistake (turn-over) ,,, instead of trying to make a play. Lack of aggression.
This.

Ebonemalone

Rookie
X said:
lol. That's actually funny. "Chris" says no QB has had more excuses for his play, and then he goes on to list some "excuses" (aka, reality). No running game, defense is a sieve, unimaginative coordinator. Ironic reporter is ironic.
I thought the same thing