What we learned after Rams OTAs and minicamp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
With all the money in the NFL and this?

It's temporary, nothing to do with money. Rams are going to be training at California Lutheran University for the next couple of years before they build their permanent training facility in Thousand Oaks or Oxnard.

fearsomefour

Legend
Its going to be interesting as they sort out the WR roles this summer.
Austin is a "starter", outside of that it seems an open competition and a crap shoot really.
I like the Fisher approach with Goff. He took a similar approach with Gurley....different situation because of injury of course....but he was not pressured to roll him out there too soon. He stayed healthy and had an excellent year. I think Goff's entrance will be determined more by the teams record and Keenums play. If Case is playing solid ball and the team gets off to a 5-3 or 4-1 start, Goff won't see the field until late in the year if at all. This is not a bad thing. If Keenum struggles and the team comes out of the gate 1-4 then Goff is in earlier than he would have wanted probably.
I don't care for Brown being described as a defacto starter at RG. I know this is writers doing this and not necessarily the coaches. He played poorly for large stretches last year. Right side, left side....I know, but, he was not very good. Robinson, Barnes, Havenstein....those spots are locked up. At G Saffold, Reynolds, Wichmann and Brown....let the best two coming out of camp/preseason start.

Frogbelly

Rookie
Name
Frogbelly
Its going to be interesting as they sort out the WR roles this summer.
Austin is a "starter", outside of that it seems an open competition and a crap shoot really.
I like the Fisher approach with Goff. He took a similar approach with Gurley....different situation because of injury of course....but he was not pressured to roll him out there too soon. He stayed healthy and had an excellent year. I think Goff's entrance will be determined more by the teams record and Keenums play. If Case is playing solid ball and the team gets off to a 5-3 or 4-1 start, Goff won't see the field until late in the year if at all. This is not a bad thing. If Keenum struggles and the team comes out of the gate 1-4 then Goff is in earlier than he would have wanted probably.
I don't care for Brown being described as a defacto starter at RG. I know this is writers doing this and not necessarily the coaches. He played poorly for large stretches last year. Right side, left side....I know, but, he was not very good. Robinson, Barnes, Havenstein....those spots are locked up. At G Saffold, Reynolds, Wichmann and Brown....let the best two coming out of camp/preseason start.
I wouldn't be too quick to sell Keenum short. He was a blocked kick away from winning 4 in a row or something like that. And against good competition. If he starts out winning, no reason to rush Goff in. He may not see the field at all. I see Britt as a lock as long as he is healthy. He and Keenum made some big plays. So with Austin, Cooper rising and Britt, that leaves 3 maybe 4 spots left. If Duke's head stays afloat, Quick is gone. That would leave Bradley, Spruce, Williams, Thomas, I know I'm forgetting somebody, going for those spots. Thomas would have to lose his spot. Who ever the starting OL is will be miles ahead of where they were last year. I believe the offense will be able to put some points on the board. 3rd down efficiency will improve alot.
This isn't the koolaid talking. If the koolaid was talking, Id be talking 25 points per game.

fearsomefour

Legend
I wouldn't be too quick to sell Keenum short. He was a blocked kick away from winning 4 in a row or something like that. And against good competition. If he starts out winning, no reason to rush Goff in. He may not see the field at all. I see Britt as a lock as long as he is healthy. He and Keenum made some big plays. So with Austin, Cooper rising and Britt, that leaves 3 maybe 4 spots left. If Duke's head stays afloat, Quick is gone. That would leave Bradley, Spruce, Williams, Thomas, I know I'm forgetting somebody, going for those spots. Thomas would have to lose his spot. Who ever the starting OL is will be miles ahead of where they were last year. I believe the offense will be able to put some points on the board. 3rd down efficiency will improve alot.
This isn't the koolaid talking. If the koolaid was talking, Id be talking 25 points per game.
Im not selling Keenum short at all.
In my perfect scenario Case plays well enough and the teams enough that Goff is not rushed at all.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I don't care how good a TC Goff has, I would rather Keenum start the season on Monday night Football on national TV. If Goff starts and makes one or two mistakes the national media and football fans everywhere will magnify it tenfold and It'll be a national debate of how the Rams made a major mistake. Rams and Goff don't need that. Start Keenum and quietly slip goff in two three or four games into the season in a game not nationally televised. Why put pressure on the kid when you don't have to.

Last edited:

nighttrain

Legend
I don't care how good a TC Goff has, I would rather Keenum start the season on Monday night Football on national TV. If Goff starts and makes one or two mistakes the national media and football fans everywhere will magnify it tenfold and It'll be a national debate of how the Rams made a major mistake. Rams and Goff don't need that. Start Keenum and quietly slip goff in two three or four games into the season in a game not nationally televised. Why put pressure on the kid when you don't have to.

I didn't realize this was a nationally televised game, so i agree with you, this game probably not for Goff

train

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I didn't realize this was a nationally televised game, so i agree with you, this game probably not for Goff

train
It is the second game of the Monday Night Football double header. Probably the least watched MNF game of the year due to it's 10:20PM EST kickoff. I took off Tuesday, so my east coast ass will be watching every snap.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny

So do you bench him for the Super Bowl too?

I only half joke. He was the first overall selection for an NFL franchise that desperately needs him to get to it. I'm hoping the pressure of playing in front of national stage wouldn't be too damaging to his psyche.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Um, can we at least watch a couple pre season games before we determine who should start at QB, RB, and G? This was just fun speculation after OTA's...